Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told there were trails / offshoots from "The Swift" for newbs like me and more advanced stuff (that apparently eats 37" tires). I was told it's Crown land, and should pose no threat of ticketing or trespassing charges (but what do I know). I guess it goes along the Swift Rapids in the area north of Orillia.

Thinking of checking it out, just wondering if anyone has already been through there, specifically, the lighter/milder trails.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I checked out some youtube videos actually. Still planning to try it out on July 1st, after my wife does her Canada Day 10K race. If all goes well, I might actually go back the weekend of the 4-5th.

Some of the videos show trails a little more advanced than I'd like, but one shows a guy cruising along the dirt road with all the offshoots in a stock Forrester that can probably handle the tamer stuff.

youTube results

·
Registered
291 Posts
Be careful in that area. Last year the OPP was keeping a close eye on the are because of some grow ops they found out there. Also there tends to be some hillbilly-ish activities going on up there most weekends (dunk people stumbling/driving around, guns, ect). To my knowledge, they've re-opened the are but are cautioning people to take care...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be careful in that area. Last year the OPP was keeping a close eye on the are because of some grow ops they found out there. Also there tends to be some hillbilly-ish activities going on up there most weekends (dunk people stumbling/driving around, guns, ect). To my knowledge, they've re-opened the are but are cautioning people to take care...
Really eh? Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be on the lookout. Trying to lock down a couple friends tag along so that we're not alone out there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never been in that area but wouldn't mind tagging along on some light wheeling to give my 2011 a stretch.
We're hoping to be out there midday-ish on July 1. Really depends what time we get out of the house after my wife finishes her 10K race.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ran the swift yesterday. Had nobody to follow / lead (pull me out if I got stuck), so I just stuck to the main trail but it was fun regardless. Got to the end, grabbed lunch out of the back, unloaded the wife and kids, walked 5 mins to the Locks, and had a great picnic lunch, took some pictures, then drove back out.

It was about an hour from where the road ends to the locks, saw a bunch of offshoot trails, including a ridiculous rock that people crawl up. Had to dodge a couple of turtles on the trail, and thankfully we left the top and windows on, as the deer flies were thick as mud.

All in all it was a good time, plenty of fun, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Would love to go with someone more experienced / capable than me and try some of the easier offshoot trails.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's see some pictures! What's the difficulty like at the swift? Any big mods to your jeep or are you running stock?
Stock JKU Willys edition. Didn't take any pics unfortunately, but we did go pro the whole main trail. I'll post a link to YouTube when I upload some footage.

The main trail was easy. I can't speak to the offshoots, though one is apparently called the "bead buster" / "shithouse run", so I imagine they get more challenging 😊

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting, I have a stock JKU with 285 tires. Going to install a lift a discos but have yet to find the time to buy and install. So I guess I'm looking for easy basic trails like you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My stock JKU with a newb driver (yours truly) managed the trail easily. If you wanna get your feet wet (not ACTUALLY wet), give it a shot. If you've got experience and know what your rig can handle, try an offshoot.

I've got holidays coming up in a few weeks, and hope to get back out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can someone provide some details as to where this trail is located? I'd love to go check it out.
If you Google Swift Rapids Rd Orillia you will see it is right at the end of Carylon Rd in Orillia. My son and I did finally go on it a few weeks back and had a blast and even were able to get in a little geocaching while we were out there. The bugs were a little thick but we did have fun even on the one of the side trails we tried. Unfortunate we didnt take any photos either

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you Google Swift Rapids Rd Orillia you will see it is right at the end of Carylon Rd in Orillia. My son and I did finally go on it a few weeks back and had a blast and even were able to get in a little geocaching while we were out there. The bugs were a little thick but we did have fun even on the one of the side trails we tried. Unfortunate we didnt take any photos either
In fact I was just thinking of going up again this Weekend maby late Saturday or early Sunday morning if any one is heading up let me know, It would be nice to meet some other new jeepers out for some light wheeling.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In fact I was just thinking of going up again this Weekend maby late Saturday or early Sunday morning if any one is heading up let me know, It would be nice to meet some other new jeepers out for some light wheeling.
Thanks for the info... I'm planning to head up there on the long weekend with my GF to check it out. Maybe see a few folks out there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have done this trail twice (main trail, didn't go into advanced off-shoots) but couldn't go all the way to Severn Falls as the trail was closed due to construction. I did not feel unsafe on this trail but the first time I did see people with guns.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts