Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone use credit card points toward the purchase of a Jeep? I have a Jeep MC and if I decide to purchase new I'll apply my points. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this. Did it actually make a difference? How much did you save?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I get back about $1000 a year with our amazon card.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a my card will give me point toward the purchase of a Jeep. I just figured out I have $230. Ha! I was hoping for a lot more. Oh well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't have a Jeep card. I use my MC and Visa points for eating out and travel.
I bought our Rubi at a TrueCar dealer. Got a list of dealers, gave him a call, told him what I wanted and wanted to pay, wrote the check, and drove the Rubi off the lot for less than MSRP. In our state, that saved the 6.5% sales tax, the $90 registration/transfer fee, and a couple of other dealer fees. I figure I saved over $3000. You'd have to buy an awful lot of stuff on the CC to get that kind of "points" deal.
Then we sold the Subaru "trade in" for $3500.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I don't have a Jeep card. I use my MC and Visa points for eating out and travel.
I bought our Rubi at a TrueCar dealer. Got a list of dealers, gave him a call, told him what I wanted and wanted to pay, wrote the check, and drove the Rubi off the lot for less than MSRP. In our state, that saved the 6.5% sales tax, the $90 registration/transfer fee, and a couple of other dealer fees. I figure I saved over $3000. You'd have to buy an awful lot of stuff on the CC to get that kind of "points" deal.
I'm confused... how did this get you out of paying sales tax or registration fees?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I dont have a jeep credit card but I have a credit card that gives me about 1% cash back on all purchases. I use a credit card anyway instead of cash (and pay it off in full every month) so why not make a little bit of money on it. I dont spend much money anyway because I am cheap but I make about $100 a year with the credit card in cashback rewards.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I dont have a jeep credit card but I have a credit card that gives me about 1% cash back on all purchases. I use a credit card anyway instead of cash (and pay it off in full every month) so why not make a little bit of money on it. I dont spend much money anyway because I am cheap but I make about $100 a year with the credit card in cashback rewards.
I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I use a card for any expense or bill that accepts them without a fee. I try to get at least 1.5%-2% on all purchases but also bring in some cards with rotating 5% categories. I usually take in around $1500 per year and you can sometimes increase the value of that depending on redemption options. Like you said, if you pay it off, why not. Most merchants aren't giving cash discount these days so we pay higher prices to offset their fees regardless.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
Not Jeep but had a GM card that accrued $2500 off, we used it on a truck purchase. Negotiated the best deal, then took off another $2500. Worked perfectly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
To bofa::
Sorry! Been offline here for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiDune

I'm confused... how did this get you out of paying sales tax or registration fees? __________________
2015 JKU Sahara
2015 JGC Altitude

Sorry if I confused.
My total cash price out the door for the Rubi was LESS than the MSRP posted on the door. The dealer "ate" -- or otherwise took care of -- all of the additional costs associated with buying a car including sales tax and registration. So I did pay those costs, it's just that my "savings" on the base vehicle was more than those were.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts