Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I picked up a used soft top for my 2-door, and now I am trying to decide how to deal with my hardtop.

Looks like I am going to go the hardtop storage cart route because my garage does not have sufficient clearance for a hoist, given my lift.

Questions:

1. How easy or difficult is it to use a hardtop storage cart?
2. Realistically, is it a 2, 3 or 4 person task?
3. How well does it keep/store the hardtop and freedom panels out of harms way?
4. Any other tips, considerations, things you would do differently?

Thanks in advance,

Aldo

·
Registered
626 Posts
I built one this past weekend from some plans I found on here. I had a buddy help me set the top on the cart but after that I was really surprised how easy it was for just me to move it around. I have about $70 in building mine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey guys, I picked up a used soft top for my 2-door, and now I am trying to decide how to deal with my hardtop. Looks like I am going to go the hardtop storage cart route because my garage does not have sufficient clearance for a hoist, given my lift. Questions: 1. How easy or difficult is it to use a hardtop storage cart? 2. Realistically, is it a 2, 3 or 4 person task? 3. How well does it keep/store the hardtop and freedom panels out of harms way? 4. Any other tips, considerations, things you would do differently? Thanks in advance, Aldo
I built one and my wife helped me taking it off the jeep and putting on the cart

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
My wife gave me the HOSS storage cart and cover for Father's Day a few years ago. It works great. The removal of the top is a two person job. Placing the top on the cart is a one person job. It really is a neat system.

·
Super Moderator
9,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife gave me the HOSS storage cart and cover for Father's Day a few years ago. It works great. The removal of the top is a two person job. Placing the top on the cart is a one person job. It really is a neat system.
I imagine the cover leaves the bottom open? --so it zips/unzips from above

Thanks,

Aldo

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I built one and my wife helped me taking it off the jeep and putting on the cart
I use the same design, I think.

It doesn't rest on the glass, it just looks like it from that angle. Once it's off the Jeep and on the stand, moving it around is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I made the wood cart from the plans that are on this forum somewhere. I didn't get the cheapest casters so I have about $50 in it. IIRC I needed 3 6' 2x4's, a 1x2, a piece of carpet, and screws. Pay particular attention to the screws needed to mount the casters.

I am really pleased with it.

The hardtop on the JKU is pretty damn light for its size. It's also very rigid. My neighbors hardtop for his TJ seemed heavier. Because it's light and rigid, the cart doesn't need to be heavy duty, made of titanium and precious resin.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I bought the Quadratec hard top cart and really like it . I have an electric hoist and basically use it to lift the top off the Jeep, drop it to the floor and them I put it on the cart and roll it into the corner. I can do it alone no big deal. I just felt uncomfortable hanging the top over the kids bikes with the strap system I have.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I did the DIY cart as well. Only because we're looking to sell our current home and I don't want to install a hoist in the garage.

I'll definitely our a hoist in once we move. It would be nice to be able to take the top of by myself.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
This post has the plans.

I'm in the middle of building mine. Casters are the expensive part (unless you don't have the tools to make the cuts and drill a bit).

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
This post has the plans.

I'm in the middle of building mine. Casters are the expensive part (unless you don't have the tools to make the cuts and drill a bit).
Though if you buy the lumber or PVC from any hardware store they'll make the cuts for you.

·
Registered
596 Posts
This post has the plans.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, buy a four wheel moving dolly for $10 and remove the casters. Now you have four for $2.50 each.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I built one this past weekend from some plans I found on here. I had a buddy help me set the top on the cart but after that I was really surprised how easy it was for just me to move it around. I have about $70 in building mine.
I built one as well, haven't used it yet (waiting for my soft too to arrive), but it was very easy to build and pretty quick too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts