Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be one of the few that have no intention of ever upgrading bumpers or side steps as the factory ones look and perform fine for my needs. BUT...is there anything that can be done so they're not such a maintenance nightmare to keep clean? It takes entirely too long to get rid of the the spots, smears, etc... from the stock bumpers and side steps. Staying out of the mud isn't an option :)

Is Line-X an option? anything else?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a friend recommend Solutions Finish. I'm going to give it a try. I'm seeing the results on another jeep and it really is holding up well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just used old fashioned soap/water/sponge on the fenders/bumpers for the initial cleaning then Mothers Back-to-Black trim and plastic restorer to get it back to that factory fresh black look. Mine had started to get a bit sun faded and it takes care of that issue as well.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
303 Aerospace Protectant™ seems to be the go to product in this forum

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've been using Turtle Wax ICE on my present and my previous Wranglers. Next to no effort to apply and has kept the black plastic bits and bobs black. I like it so much that when it unfortunately became unavailable here I had a friend who was travelling to the US pick up two bottles for me. (I am still on my first bottle I got in 2010; but I wanted to be sure not to run out - plus, now my wife can use it on here vehicle also.)
It does a fantastic job at protection against mud and water stains but nothing will protect your factory side steps from stumps and rocks other than taking a good line.

·
Registered
498 Posts
303 works good but I'm not happy with how short it lasts. Seems everything goes back to being chalky/gray within a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
303 works good but I'm not happy with how short it lasts. Seems everything goes back to being chalky/gray within a few weeks.
My issues too with most products mentioned. I've tried Back to black, 303 and a Meguiar's trim detailer but they all seem to fade quite quickly. Then, if I don't get the mud off immediately, it stains like crazy.
Warm months aren't a big deal as I can just apply when I wash the car...but I doubt if any of them work well being applied in cold weather.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts