Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see if anybody's going to be out in Anza Borrego this Saturday? I'd really like to check out Fishcreek and Sandstone Canyon maybe try out Pinyan Mountain Trail never done any of the three.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You can hit all three in a long day. Start at Pinyon Mountain and that will dump you into Fish Creek and take you by Sandstone Canyon and a bunch of other things. Pinyon Mountain is not an easy trail so if you are going to do it, make sure you have a buddy.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've never been in this trails before, what time do you have in mind ? and where do we meet ? the last time i was in Anza was 2 years ago, visiting pumpkin patch and the gas domes with the kids and wife, so i took the 76 through the 78 hwy, but i have no idea what entrance are this trails located at :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Pinyon Drop off is a bit spooky if you don't have someone with you that has done it before. If you want to dial back the adrenaline a bit I would recommend going in from Canyon Sin Nombre and down Diablo Drop Off into Fish Creek. It is very scenic and fun enough with less risk. Start early so you have time to get out and walk around the canyons.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've never been in this trails before, what time do you have in mind ? and where do we meet ? the last time i was in Anza was 2 years ago, visiting pumpkin patch and the gas domes with the kids and wife, so i took the 76 through the 78 hwy, but i have no idea what entrance are this trails located at :)
RSM, You were in Ocotillo Wells OHV Park if you went to the Pumpkin Patch and the Gas Domes. From RSM go South on the 5 to the 76 East. Follow it until it ends at the 79. Go left to the S2. Go Right on the S2. If you want to access The Anza Borrego State park through Borrego Springs go left at the S22 and follow it all the way to Borrego Springs. In Borrego go right out of the traffic circle on the S3 or Borrego Springs Road. Follow it until it ends at the 78. Go left to Split Mountain Road (across from the dirt airfield). Go right until you reach Fish Creek (very wide wash before the end of the road at the gypsum mine). Everything you want to see is up Fish Creek. You can also get there by not going left on the S22 towards Borrego but going straight on the S2 all the way to the end to the 78 and going left to Split Mountain Road. This way is a little shorter but less scenic.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to hold out and see if anybody that has done the trail before is able to go. I'd like to do Pinyon Mountain and I think it would be best to have someone that's done it. If someone is up for it I'd be willing to meet as early as they'd like since I think it will be a full day if we hit all three.

·
Registered
464 Posts
We can't decide what to do. Got some friends taking their bikes up to Stoddard Wellls / Slash X to play around and check out some vintage bikes on display. That's on Sunday, though. My bike is in the shop, so I'm leaning towards a weekend in Truckhaven / Ocotillo with the Jeep. If we do that, I'm game for this run on Saturday. Not totally sure I want to go down Pinyon in the Jeep, it's sketchy enough on the bike, but maybe. I'd also be up for a Truckhaven area run on Sunday. Hopefully I can decide early tomorrow which direction we're going.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
RSM, You were in Ocotillo Wells OHV Park if you went to the Pumpkin Patch and the Gas Domes. From RSM go South on the 5 to the 76 East. Follow it until it ends at the 79. Go left to the S2. Go Right on the S2. If you want to access The Anza Borrego State park through Borrego Springs go left at the S22 and follow it all the way to Borrego Springs. In Borrego go right out of the traffic circle on the S3 or Borrego Springs Road. Follow it until it ends at the 78. Go left to Split Mountain Road (across from the dirt airfield). Go right until you reach Fish Creek (very wide wash before the end of the road at the gypsum mine). Everything you want to see is up Fish Creek. You can also get there by not going left on the S22 towards Borrego but going straight on the S2 all the way to the end to the 78 and going left to Split Mountain Road. This way is a little shorter but less scenic.
Wow, awesome detailed explanation, thanks a lot Fred.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'd like to hold out and see if anybody that has done the trail before is able to go. I'd like to do Pinyon Mountain and I think it would be best to have someone that's done it. If someone is up for it I'd be willing to meet as early as they'd like since I think it will be a full day if we hit all three. .
Fair enough.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm going to watch this thread, but can't tell if this run is going to happen or not. I've decided to head south and camp at Truckhaven. If this run happens I'll likely join, but I'm going to go ahead and post an alternate option for Sat/Sun runs around Truckhaven.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This thread has a general title, so I'm not sure starting a new one makes sense.

Hope I'm not stepping on you, Jasnusc! Just offering another Anza option for you.

We will be heading out this afternoon, camping near the 4X4 park off the S22 (aka Borrego Salton Seaway). If this ride to Fish Creek doesn't happen, or there are others that want to explore the area up around Truckhaven instead, let's gather for a ride. I'm also up for a group ride on Sunday, since I'll be there both days.

I'm lifted on 35s, but any stock Jeep can handle most terrain up there, so stockers and newbies are welcome. There are tons of options, so we can decide where we want to go as we go along.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No worries @Pattle definitely a general thread. Hope you get some people to join you and maybe I will as well. Where are you going to meet up and at what time? You going to go hit all the usual spots like the BBQ and the phone booth and the arches?

·
Registered
464 Posts
The best mtg spot is probably the dirt patch next to Jack in the Box by the Arco truck stop at intersection of the 86 and the S22. Meeting time of 9:30.

We could play around the trails between Tierra Del Sol and Tectonic Gorge, and make our way to Inspiration. Or go to the other side around Coral Wash, Notches, and Phone Booth. Or both, for those that want to do a long day.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Dakota and I are going to explore new (to us) North/West Truckhaven tomorrow. We will be leaving Borrego at 8:30AM. We will be passing the microwave tower about 9:00AM. We will be on CB channel 8. Post here or call out on 8.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Cool. I'm good with that.

Unless anyone sings out for the other run ideas I will plan on being at the microwave tower standing by on Ch 8 at 9am tomorrow.

Sunday is still open for a run also.

·
Registered
464 Posts
In case anyone doesn't know, the microwave tower is on S22, about 7 miles west of the 86, on the right side of the road. It is huge. You can't miss it if you get close.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hey Pattle, see you there.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hey Jason, Are you interested?

Grant

1 - 20 of 35 Posts