Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.. I've been following the radio threads for 8 months now. I'm pretty well aware of what's out there, the capabilities and the cost.. But, I haven't been able to find any one single radio that does everything I want.

Is there an after market radio that:

Supports Apple Car Play
Has built in SiriusXM

Uses the existing
- Steering wheel controls
- A-pillar Microphone
- Sirius antenna
- USB port console. (This isn't absolutely necessary)

Nav would be nice, but it's not necessary.

Yea, there probably are 10 threads discussing such a radio, but I've never been able to find them :)

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
It is add on modules that make much of that happen. Steering wheel controls are handled by getting a IData Link Maestro. I think there are patch cables that all you to use the microphone and the Sirius Antenna. And if you want to use the USB port console you just need to do some wiring. Most of the Kenwood lineup have SiriusXM built in.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
all of those requests (except Sirius) can be handled by the Sony XAV-AX100

I posted a few videos of it.

overview of the radio:

https://youtu.be/iG4Q15VeLFA

CarPlay overview:

https://youtu.be/HkC3XBKBr3M

Android Auto:

https://youtu.be/Ox5C8bZmItA

You could put the Sirius app on your phone and play it over bluetooth. If you must have it in the radio, then you would need a Kenwood or whatever has Sirius built in. CarPlay of course should be the same on each unit.

You would need a module like this to keep the steering wheel controls:

PAC RP4-CH11
http://amzn.to/2hWZXHF

Microphone ran up the A-pillar is pretty easy, I've done it with 3 different radios.

To keep the USB port in the console, you will need to remove the Uconnect module behind the A/C controls, a cord like this:

Metra USB adapter:

http://amzn.to/2vuoZm4

You probably need this to retain the FM/AM radio:

Metra 40-EU10 Antenna to Radio Adapter
http://amzn.to/2vzm3Dh

and this bracket works for any Double Din in a Jeep:

Metra 95-6511 Dash kit:
http://amzn.to/2fCbKKI

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great.. Thanks Mike.. Nice looking radio, Price is right. Lots to consider.

Will make my decision easier.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Great.. Thanks Mike.. Nice looking radio, Price is right. Lots to consider.

Will make my decision easier.
The audio quality of the Sony is incredible. I had the base audio system in my 2016 but replaced them with the Mopar Kicker 77KICK10 speakers

The Sony really made them come alive.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
781 Posts
Big fan of the Sony XAV-AX100. It doesn't have siruis xm radio though but you can still use the app if you have it on your phone and works well in that way. That's what I do at least. Awesome display and also made my speakers come a live. I did however just still all new kicker speakers front and roll bar along with a 8 inch kicker subwoofer. Amazing sound now.

Let me start over I installed the mopar kicker speakers first and was still very unhappy with sound. Once I upgraded the head unit to the sony I was extremely happy!

link below:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV100/Sony-XAV-AX100.html?search=sony_xav-ax100&skipvs=T

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Sony personally, but was seriously considering that model. A nice feature about that unit is that it's actually a single DIN chassis that requires little to no behind the dash modification (even though Crutchfield says it does). As far as Sirius is concerned, add me to the list of App proponents. Sirius reception via the radio is, shall we say, less than high fidelity. When streamed via Bluetooth through the App, the source audio higher bit rate and you can actually enjoy the music.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought the Pioneer 4200NEX radio back in the spring and absolutely love it! It’s got a detachable faceplate which I was interested in having in case I got caught in the rain with the top down. It also has auto-EQ (mic sold separately) which also has time alignment. I still tweaked the sound a little based on personal taste, but I think it sounds amazing. I added the SiriusXM tuner, antenna adapter so I didn’t have to run a new antenna, a backup camera, ran the new microphone and the PAC unit for steering wheel controls. I added dual USB plugs on the upper dash so I could plug my phone into it for CarPlay right by my phone mount.

I also just recently added an amp to power a pair of 6.5” subwoofers mounted in the enclosures underneath the dash and I originally had used the Kicker 3.5” plug and play coaxials in the upper dash. I’ve since moved them to the back sound bar and replaced them with the factory upgraded Alpine 3.5” full range speakers. This setup gives me decent bass output while giving up ZERO storage space in my Jeep!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Crutchfield has a deal going on where you can get a SiriusXM receiver for free after a mail in rebate. I just got an AVH-1330NEX from them with a Maestro RR to retain factory features.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just installed the Sony XAV-AX100 in my ‘15 with Alpine upgrade, replacing an Alpine CDE-HD149BT. My $.02:

Sound quality is quite a bit better - more natural - than the clinical-sounding Alpine.

Screen is pretty responsive. Not quite as good/snappy as the newer Alpine touchscreen CarPlay units, but good enough.

The appearance of the unit overall is very nice and simple. The volume knob has a good, solid feel to it with some resistance. The UI (one of the things I prefer about it over the others) is nice and clean. Simple, in a good way. Sure, it lacks some of the configurability of the Pioneer 4201 I was considering, but I really don’t feel like I’m missing much at this point. Good sound, good looks, CarPlay.

I did need to modify the top of the plastic opening of the dash substructure behind the trim, and the Metra dash kit (just like with other units), and I also had to remove the metal frame at the back of the unit (just like the others), which are the two reasons I had for going with the Sony over the Pioneer 4201 (I really wanted a detachable face), so I’m irritated by that, but I’ll get over it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
With a double DIN radio, you can just modify the metal bracket and not have to remove it.

I think it took all of 20 seconds to modify mine with a cut off wheel.

A single DIN will usually fit without modification.

I'm surprised the Sony required modifications to fit (it is a double DIN face with a single DIN chassis)

·
Registered
506 Posts
With a double DIN radio, you can just modify the metal bracket and not have to remove it.

I think it took all of 20 seconds to modify mine with a cut off wheel.

A single DIN will usually fit without modification.

I'm surprised the Sony required modifications to fit (it is a double DIN face with a single DIN chassis)

Yep. It’s too tall to fit with the bracket in place. I tried bending the tabs on the bracket, but ended up just removing it. If I could find a spare, I’d consider grinding the opening larger to put it in and retain the top dash screw, but so far, it doesn’t seem necessary.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I've been very happy with the Pioneer AVH-2330NEX head unit.

Measuring up this radio with your list of requirements:

- Supports Apple Car Play -- Yes, also supports Android Auto
- Has built in SiriusXM -- It supports SiriusXM but requires an additional module
- Steering wheel controls -- I used the iDatalink Maestro and was able to program the steering wheel controls the way I wanted them.
- A-pillar Microphone -- I wasn't able to re-use the built in microphone, but the supplied microphone sits up by the sun visor on the a-pillar.
- Sirius antenna -- It supports SiriusXM but requires an additional module
- USB port console. (This isn't absolutely necessary) -- To use Apple Car Play I used a USB extension run down by the passenger foot well. From here I use a Lightening cable and route that up through the storage compartment between the seats.
- Nav would be nice, but it's not necessary. -- A Pioneer NAV module is available, but with Car Play the Apple Maps I think are better as they tend to be updated more frequently.

Crutchfield is running a special right now (12/12/2017) where a SiriusXM SXV300V1 Tuner is free with the purchase of the head unit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts