Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a month or two away from getting a new Wrangler. I would like to install an Apple Carplay compatible head unit/stereo (after market). Has anyone put one in their Jeep and if so, which model and would they recommend it?

I'm not a fan of the factory GPS/head unit.

Thanks..
Scott

·
Registered
190 Posts
Installed the Pioneer 4200NEX system earlier this year. It works great and have used Car Play quite often. Check out the different Pioneer and Kenwood systems and select the one best for you.

I chose a system that didn't have nav integrated with it, because I did't want to have to pay for updates. Though people have complained about having to use Apple maps, on the numerous trips that I have taken, I didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm interested in replacing the Uconnect 130 in our 2014 JK Sport with either a Sony or Pioneer. (No real preference for either)
I'm currently looking at a Pioneer-AVIC-5201NEX from Crutchfield with their installation kit.

One question I have is, can I use the stock USB ports (from the U130) via the Crutchfield supplied wiring harness, or will those be rendered inert and I'll have to run my own USB cables / jacks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I dropped a (cheap) Kenwood DDX6702 refurb from Crutchfield into my 2010 JKU to replace the ultra basic original 130 - CarPlay works great - but now I realise how crappy the stock speakers are... sigh... more upgrades!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I'm interested in replacing the Uconnect 130 in our 2014 JK Sport with either a Sony or Pioneer. (No real preference for either)
I'm currently looking at a Pioneer-AVIC-5201NEX from Crutchfield with their installation kit.

One question I have is, can I use the stock USB ports (from the U130) via the Crutchfield supplied wiring harness, or will those be rendered inert and I'll have to run my own USB cables / jacks.
I can't remember if I tried the factory USB or not, there's no real good reason to use it. I have the pioneer 4200nex in my jk and my wife's journey. Iboth I fished a USB cable to the glove box for a flash drive and one down the inside of the dash and out by the parking break, this one isn't visible until the seatbelt latch.

·
Registered
17 Posts

There is an adapter that can be used to allow you to use the USB output from your Pioneer unit to interface with the USB port inside your center console.

Here is a link to the part you need:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016NLD0BA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The connector is located pretty much dead center between the climate control knobs. There are several online tutorials that can guide you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is an adapter that can be used to allow you to use the USB output from your Pioneer unit to interface with the USB port inside your center console.

Here is a link to the part you need:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016NLD0BA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The connector is located pretty much dead center between the climate control knobs. There are several online tutorials that can guide you.
That looks perfect!
I definitely wouldn't have found it myself.
Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That looks perfect!
I definitely wouldn't have found it myself.
Thanks!
No problem! Mine is sitting on a small pile of parts in my garage, waiting for the weather to cool down. :jawdrop:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I installed the Alpine iLX-107 in my JKU a few weeks ago. Brilliant. Sounds great and big step up in usability. Just back from a 2,000 mile trip and using Apple Maps was so much better than all of the built in nav systems I've used in the past.

Install was pretty painless with two exceptions:

1) I also installed the Maestro which can only be initialized with an older PC with obsolete browser. Took weeks to find someone with compatible one to use. And you don't get the wiring diagram until after you program the unit...

2) I can't get the Alpine to recognize USB sticks. I've tried about 10 different ones from different manufacturers but all give error message that "USB device is not supported". I was hoping to put my own image on the startup screen which requires the USB stick to upload. If anyone else has found a stick that works please let me know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the Pioneer 4200NEX as well and absolutely love it! The only thing I miss about Waze is the police notifications. Otherwise, Apple Maps works just fine!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have the Pioneer 4200NEX as well and absolutely love it! The only thing I miss about Waze is the police notifications. Otherwise, Apple Maps works just fine!

Police notifications are the main reason to use Waze. Much less important in a Jeep than in a BMW though...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts