Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into mounting my CB ball mount on the front hoop of my military style bumper. So as to match the rest of my jeeps color, Black.

I am thinking of coating painting (?) a 102 inch stainless steel whip to mimic/match my MW-3 SPECOPS theme.

My question? Do coatings or paints cause signal loss or significant reception interference?

·
Knows a couple things...
48,964 Posts
Look into distributed capacitance and its effect on resonance. What I have read over the years in various antenna handbooks is that any coating added to a previously unpainted whip antenna will cause an increase in distributed capacitance which will lower its resonant frequency. Just like placing the vinyl tip cover over the top of a Firestick FS series CB antenna detunes it from it having added capacitance which reduces the the resonant frequency.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Like Jerry said, you may need to "tweak" the tuning a bit afterwards, but it will still work. I'd stay away from spray paint or anything that has metallic components in it. I used black spray plasti-dip on my 2M antenna and it works fine. I also sprayed my factory FM antenna with it to get it to blend in and it also works fine.
The plasti-dip is holding up well; did it about 2 years ago and you'd still never know it was silver underneath!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I've used shrink-wrap on a 102" whip. You just have to find a roll so it can be done one piece.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used shrink-wrap on a 102" whip. You just have to find a roll so it can be done one piece.
Yet another concept I have not considered as it has been many years since my using shrink wrap. I suppose I am taken back by so many advertisments plugging so many unique ways to coat various materials.

Couple of nights ago I happened onto this unique webpage. Seems the customer can pretty much pick and choose the colors with these antennas.

SkipShooter® Mobile Antennas - Antenna Parts Outlet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts