Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to swap my low rider stock 2dr springs for stiffer 4dr springs. Should be a simple swap. Any idea what an appropriate amount would be to pay a shop to take care of it? Out in central California for the fall winter and my tools are back in WI.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Did front springs on my '08 sunday. Air tools, floor jack, 40 minutes.
Remove tire, 1 shock bolt, 1 link bolt, 1 brake bracket bolt, lower axle, swap spring, back together. 2 hours ought to be reasonable for front and rear.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
5 hours and $525 from dealer for the spring swap + alignment. Have to wait a week if I get it done there b/c the tech is going to Detroit for Viper testing. NICE LIFE :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
I can swap all four springs inside of 45 minutes… at $525 I'm in the wrong line of business...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Would alignment really be needed?

·
The Bad Guy
23,179 Posts
Have you verified that the new springs are a significantly higher number to even make the swap worthwhile? Just because they are from a 4 door means nothing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you could find a small independent general mechanic or repair shop locally and get it done quicker, better, and less expensively. In most areas anyway.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If it's going up an inch or so, perhaps nothing else needed. Any more and you need to recenter the steering wheel - which you or the shop can do.

You'll see a shaft that runs from the steering box's pitman arm to one of the wheels. Basically put masking tape on it and mark it (Start position), put an arrow on it^ for the direction of turn. Note the steering wheels off-centered position before you do anything. Loosen two bolts and turn it 1/2" turn, retighten. See if it's better or worse and adjust it to perfection. Takes a few tries and a couple of drives around the block.

·
Registered
346 Posts
For what it's worth, I've only seen the steering wheel go out of whack when the trackbar was replaced/adjusted also. Otherwise everythin just pull over together and it was all still straight.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts