Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which would you choose for your rig?

• Arb Air Lockers

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Eaton E Lockers

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Couldn't go wrong with either choice

Votes: 11 32.4%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be coming into a bit of cash in the near future and am thinking of getting some selectable lockers. I want to step up my rigs abilities and figure this will be a good opportunity to do lockers as I plan on keeping my Jeep for the long haul.

Like the name of the thread states Arb air lockers or Eaton E lockers, Which would you get and why? or would it really be more of a preference thing as the price is about the same for both. With the Arbs I can get a free heavy duty air comp when purchasing front and rear lockers so that evens things up in the price department but then the Eaton E locker is now a much stronger 4 pinion design for the Dana 44 so both tough systems...decisions decisions.

I have a sport so a Dana 30 up front and run 33's with 3.73 gears and don't plan on going any larger (have had this tire size setup for quite some time without regrets) and I don't over abuse my Jeep so I feel fine about investing in a selectable locker for the Dana 30.

I live up in Canada and we get quite a bit of snow and ice in the winter so a lunch box locker is not even an option for me. I also prefer the selectable locker to a limited slip for off road abilities (wheels off ground).

I look forward to and am curious about the results.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I love my arb's. You can't break em. My lockers were behind 700hp with nitrous for years, and in a v10 tj for just as long. Still operate beautifully.

Everyone likes to hate on the arb's because they require an air system to operate. My pump is 10+ years old, had never been opened before I bought it from the previous owner, had been run in the water, and I can promise you it is still sitting in the parking lot with 110psi in the manifold.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Don't know much about the ARB's but I have had the Eaton E-Locker in the rear for over a year and it has been nothing short of fantastic. I put it in when I re-geared. Placed the switch on the A-Pillar and it comes in very handy off-road.

If it looks like I'm going to be spinning with the diffs open, I simply flip the switch and I'm locked up. Selectable lockers are the way to go.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I went with E-Lockers in the poll because that's what I put in my two Jeeps.

The added cost and complexity of the air system is a turn off for me.

That being said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a properly installed ARB. They are a really good product and they do the job very well. If I were to buy a used Jeep with ARB lockers in them I would not hesitate to keep them and run them with confidence.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I will be coming into a bit of cash in the near future and am thinking of getting some selectable lockers. I want to step up my rigs abilities and figure this will be a good opportunity to do lockers as I plan on keeping my Jeep for the long haul.

Like the name of the thread states Arb air lockers or Eaton E lockers, Which would you get and why? or would it really be more of a preference thing as the price is about the same for both. With the Arbs I can get a free heavy duty air comp when purchasing front and rear lockers so that evens things up in the price department but then the Eaton E locker is now a much stronger 4 pinion design for the Dana 44 so both tough systems...decisions decisions.

I have a sport so a Dana 30 up front and run 33's with 3.73 gears and don't plan on going any larger (have had this tire size setup for quite some time without regrets) and I don't over abuse my Jeep so I feel fine about investing in a selectable locker for the Dana 30.

I live up in Canada and we get quite a bit of snow and ice in the winter so a lunch box locker is not even an option for me. I also prefer the selectable locker to a limited slip for off road abilities (wheels off ground).

I look forward to and am curious about the results.

Thanks.
What type of wheeling do you do?

Seeing as you see snow and Ice have you looked into Truetracs? They are a gear driven LSD that do now wear out and require any extra maintenance.

If you are set on a locker I would go for the E-Locker.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What type of wheeling do you do?

Seeing as you see snow and Ice have you looked into Truetracs? They are a gear driven LSD that do now wear out and require any extra maintenance.

If you are set on a locker I would go for the E-Locker.
Like I stated above I really don't want to go with a limited slip. I find the traction control system more than sufficient for slippery road conditions.

With running 33's and just a leveling kit I just don't have the articulation that some of the rigs out there do with there larger lifts and tires so it's even more important for me to have the ability to lock up as I'm more likely to have a wheel in the air on off camber ground then they are. The Jeep is also my daily driver so I'm not interested in going to a taller lift or larger tires. Unfortunately a LSD is no better then open diffs when it comes to a wheel in the air this is why I ruled it out, but thanks for your input.

So far it's looking like I could go either way on selectable lockers as the results are pretty even at this point.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Like I stated above I really don't want to go with a limited slip. I find the traction control system more than sufficient for slippery road conditions.

With running 33's and just a leveling kit I just don't have the articulation that some of the rigs out there do with there larger lifts and tires so it's even more important for me to have the ability to lock up as I'm more likely to have a wheel in the air on off camber ground then they are. The Jeep is also my daily driver so I'm not interested in going to a taller lift or larger tires. Unfortunately a LSD is no better then open diffs when it comes to a wheel in the air this is why I ruled it out, but thanks for your input.

So far it's looking like I could go either way on selectable lockers as the results are pretty even at this point.
Sorry, I honestly missed that line in your first post.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Love my Rubi electronic lockers. Thinking about trading for a sport and if I do it will get the Eaton elocker in the rear. I'd rather deal with the electrical than the air. Not like it is going to be integrated with the Jeeps electrical system. Just going to share the battery.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to get a quote today and although the Arb and Eatons are similarly priced that is where it ends as the labor cost is much higher for the Arbs due to running the plumbing for the air lines and then installing the compressor under the hood.

Both brands are a stout dependable locker but because of the additional labor cost and the votes on this poll I have decided to go with the Eaton E Lockers. One other thing I considered was the cold climate I live in and the fact that some have had issues engaging the Arb's in these conditions due to air lines freezing up.

Thanks to everyone that took part both in the poll and advice given.

It will be at least a few weeks before I order the parts and probably 2 to 4 weeks after that waiting for the parts to come in. Once that happens I will schedule an appointment to get the install done and then report back on this thread with a small review on my experience having Eaton E lockers.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Went to get a quote today and although the Arb and Eatons are similarly priced that is where it ends as the labor cost is much higher for the Arbs due to running the plumbing for the air lines and then installing the compressor under the hood.

Both brands are a stout dependable locker but because of the additional labor cost and the votes on this poll I have decided to go with the Eaton E Lockers. One other thing I considered was the cold climate I live in and the fact that some have had issues engaging the Arb's in these conditions due to air lines freezing up.

Thanks to everyone that took part both in the poll and advice given.

It will be at least a few weeks before I order the parts and probably 2 to 4 weeks after that waiting for the parts to come in. Once that happens I will schedule an appointment to get the install done and then report back on this thread with a small review on my experience having Eaton E lockers.
what is the price difference with labor included?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They wanted another 4 hours labor to install the compressor and run the air lines. They were offering a free compressor with the purchase of front and rear Arb lockers but it was a cheap compressor so if I had gone that route I would have wanted to buy a better compressor which would have added yet again to the price.

Most garages charge $100 per hour for labor so I would have been looking at another $400 for labor over the Eaton E lockers and a few hundred more for a quality air compressor.

It's all a mute point for me now anyway as my central air had to be replaced a few days ago for my house which put lockers out of the question for now.

Murphy's law sucks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
An extra 4 hours seems really high for a professional shop especially. If you buy the correct master cylinder bracket the compressor bolts in place in a matter of about 15 minutes, then plug in the wiring and route it. All in most guys can do all that at home in about 3 hours with basic hand tools. I'd suggest getting a couple more quotes when the time comes as whichever system you choose if the compressor install time is quoted that high i'd be wary of that the diff install quotes themselves are also higher than they should be.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An extra 4 hours seems really high for a professional shop especially. If you buy the correct master cylinder bracket the compressor bolts in place in a matter of about 15 minutes, then plug in the wiring and route it. All in most guys can do all that at home in about 3 hours with basic hand tools. I'd suggest getting a couple more quotes when the time comes as whichever system you choose if the compressor install time is quoted that high i'd be wary of that the diff install quotes themselves are also higher than they should be.
I agree, but unfortunately that's the shops quote. They have the hours per job on their computer and are not flexible when it comes to labor. No other shop any where near me that does this type of install so I'm kinda screwed that way, but I had already decided on E lockers anyway and was just answering a question another poster had asked and I'm sure they could get the labor for cheaper if they had several shops around that they could go to for quotes.

In any event lockers are off my list for the foreseeable future for me as most of the money I had ear marked toward the lockers had to go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Vans. Best of luck getting the AC fixed and then back on track towards your Eaton purchase. That's the route I'm going as well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
One thing I noticed no one has pointed out is that the ARB's blow a little bit of diff fluid out everytime you lock them. That's the only reason I went with Eaton lockers. Plus I have a 100 psi vivian air compressor that just sits in the *trunk*

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is that for front and rear?..if so 4 hours per axle is normal up here, my shop wanted 5 hours per axle and extra time for the switch install.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts