Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a buddy today about how I plan on getting ARB lockers when i finally upgrade my diffs. His opinion of them was that the Eatons are way better for a few reasons, but his biggest argument was that "the compressor will be running a lot". He said he was in a vehicle that had ARB lockers and an ARB compressor and that every 20 minutes or so the compressor would fire on for a few minutes... and wait 20 minutes... compressor fires up... etc. We discussed it further and I was under the impression that once you engage the Airlocker and it pressurizes it doesn't really lose much air after that. He said though that they are not fully sealed, and they are constantly (or even occasionally) leaking a little bit of air, which is why the Diff needs to be vented. I mentioned that maybe there was just a leak in that paticular setup but he seemed pretty adamant they are all like that.

So how are they on everyones rigs here? Once the compressor fills up the tank and the lockers are engaged, are you good to go? Or is the compressor always turning on intermittently? Any insights would be great. Thanks everyone in advance for your responses!!!

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
I run ARBs in the front and rear. The pump turns on for about 10 seconds and then you will hear it turn on for about 5 seconds every 20-30 minutes. Any more than that and there is a leak in the line that needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
My ARB lockers never leak even after 20-30 mins. Once the compressor comes on the first time it doesn't come back on. Mine do have differential fluid coming up the air lines due to bad seals in the locker (the PO didn't use them at all). The seals go out due to very little use. I have to clear out the lines every 6-8 months so that there isn't too much buildup around the compressor. Other than that, I still love them and they get me to where I need to go.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
ARB Air Lockers don't leak unless they were improperly installed. They are as leak free as anything that is properly installed is. ARB are more technically demanding to install so you have to have them installed by someone who is experienced at installing ARB air lockers who is also not one to take short cuts. Installed properly, ARBs have a superb reputation.

·
Registered
390 Posts
ARBs are a fine air actuated locker. They are remarkably strong. Some of the early generations had some issues, but those were resolved LONG ago.

ARB have some issues with air line failures. These are normally cause by poor routing, which catch debris as the rig traverses overhead, and snag the hoses, causing them to leak. Easily fixed with trail repair kits.
There is also some issues with internal seal failures, which are minimal.

These are as strong as any locker out there.

But before you 'select' your locker, ask yourself this: Am I a Keep It Simple Stupid kind of guy or gal? Or Am I more of a high-tech kind of guy or gal?

'Cause if you're a KISS, then buy a Detroit Locker. You don't have to think. It just works. Less money. Plenty strong. (but just like ARBs, Detroits also have their detractors)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
ARB have some issues with air line failures. These are normally cause by poor routing, which catch debris as the rig traverses overhead, and snag the hoses, causing them to leak. Easily fixed with trail repair kits.
ARB's air lines have no more issues with leakage when properly routed than our properly routed brake or fuel lines do. Properly routed, ARB air lines are no more likely to get snagged when offroading than our brake or fuel lines are.

Saying ARB's air lines have problems if routed poorly is like saying an engine will have problems if poorly assembled. Is either really a valid point to be making? :confused:

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
My ARBs do not leak.

When I first installed them I installed ARB's smallest compressor, the CKSA12. It had a tiny reservoir. If I turned it on first, and let it build up and shut off, it would kick back on when I actuated the rear locker because it lost enough pressure to run again. I could get about three cycles on the front locker before it would kick the compressor on. Since then I've installed real OBA, a York based engine driven compressor. I installed a 2 1/2 gallon reservoir under the Jeep, and now I can wheel all day on a single run of the compressor. It won't come on again until I air up at the end of the ride. :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Which is the same thing that would happen if the factory didn't properly route our brake lines, fuel lines, vacuum lines, etc.

Properly routed, ARB air lines are no more likely to get snagged when offroading than our brake or fuel lines are.
Don't get all defensive on me Jerry, I wasn't picking on you.
I specifically said "poor routing", to indicate that it was an installation error, not a product failure.
Regarding fuel lines and vacuum lines, they are all OEM installed, and are routed along the frame rails, where they are securely fastened. Only brake lines are suspect to snagging, and that is rare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts