Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my differential covers. Lots of different covers, is ARB that much better to justify the higher price?
I admit they do look cool!

image-3855359729.jpg

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
If you are spending that much look at AEV diff covers. I just changed diff fluid and the big fill hole make it a breeze and it is nice to be able to inspect your gears without pulling the cover.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are spending that much look at AEV diff covers. I just changed diff fluid and they big fill hole make it a breeze and it is nice to be able to inspect your gears without pulling the cover.
That is sweet. As always, great points.

Appreciate it, thx

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm replacing my differential covers. Lots of different covers, is ARB that much better to justify the higher price?
I admit they do look cool!

View attachment 2148585
Honestly, I cant really say they are worth the money. They look awesome, and are definitely strong and beefy. Check out the Poison Spyder bombshell diff covers. They have great reviews and the videos online that I have seen of people smashing them is quite remarkable.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Honestly, I cant really say they are worth the money. They look awesome, and are definitely strong and beefy. Check out the Poison Spyder bombshell diff covers. They have great reviews and the videos online that I have seen of people smashing them is quite remarkable.
I like PS a lot. It seems even the new design is having problems contacting the stock track bar, front and back. I might be ok. I have a TF front tb, and SL rear tb with a 2.5" lift.

image-2815682422.jpg

·
Registered
526 Posts
There are a lot of different comparisons out there. check out some of the links below.
Bulletproof test
Bombshell diff cover hammer test
Honestly, As long as you dont have the stamped steal oem diff covers, you should be good. they tend to peel when they get hung up on rocks. The majority of the aftermarket ones are designed to not have this happen.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I may be wrong but I think they were designed for competition and don't hold as much lube as others.I have Rancho covers. They are exactly like (or other way around) Dynatrac covers.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I may be wrong but I think they were designed for competition and don't hold as much lube as others.I have Rancho covers. They are exactly like (or other way around) Dynatrac covers.
You may be onto something. everything is flat except where the ring gear and the carrier is.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I like PS a lot. It seems even the new design is having problems contacting the stock track bar, front and back. I might be ok. I have a TF front tb, and SL rear tb with a 2.5" lift.

View attachment 2148961
Bummer to hear that about the new PS design. I had just ordered an ARB to replace the old design PS I was having trouble with when they came out with the new design.

My PS old style on the front hit my synergy track bar (supposedly bent to clear aftermarket diff covers). It wasn't even close to clearing. I went with ARB because it looked to be the only one (along with maybe Teraflex) with a profile that was going to clear my in my particular situation. It was either one of those or something like a diff skid or guard along with the stock cover.

If there was a cheaper option I'd do it because frankly the dip stick and all that isn't all its cracked up to be. The magnet in the dip stick is so strong you can't stop it from trying to stick to all the internals as you pull it out so your check gets skewed. On the D44 they basically hold the stock amount of fluid anyway.

If you need the low profile and you're stuck on diff covers for protection then I don't think you can go wrong with these. Price sucks though and I don't think the gadget features are worth it. That is why I'm going to be trying to use that old style PS on the rear.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bummer to hear that about the new PS design. I had just ordered an ARB to replace the old design PS I was having trouble with when they came out with the new design. My PS old style on the front hit my synergy track bar (supposedly bent to clear aftermarket diff covers). It wasn't even close to clearing. I went with ARB because it looked to be the only one (along with maybe Teraflex) with a profile that was going to clear my in my particular situation. It was either one of those or something like a diff skid or guard along with the stock cover. If there was a cheaper option I'd do it because frankly the dip stick and all that isn't all its cracked up to be. The magnet in the dip stick is so strong you can't stop it from trying to stick to all the internals as you pull it out so your check gets skewed. On the D44 they basically hold the stock amount of fluid anyway. If you need the low profile and you're stuck on diff covers for protection then I don't think you can go wrong with these. Price sucks though and I don't think the gadget features are worth it. That is why I'm going to be trying to use that old style PS on the rear.
The dipstick issue has got to be frustrating. Lol
Great info here. Thx for the write up.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
FWIW, I emailed with PS this week and they said the new design would work with the stock TB.
Did you ask why then the "important fitment" info on the web site?
The wishy washy crap boils my blood.
After the covers are purchased, painted and mounted, you own them. No returning them.

PS specifically redesigned the covers to clear the stock track bars ( this is explained two paragraphs up from the "important fitment") crap.
So why the disclaimer? Do the covers clear or not? Say what you mean and mean what you say! Lmao, I'm anal like that!
Seriously, if the covers don't clear, I'll need to by new covers. It's my time and money pissed away.

In all fairness to PS, all jeeps are not exactly the same. "possible contact fitment info" disclaimer protects there butt.
Look, I like PS. This thread is not about picking on them. Lol I just want cool covers that work. :)

This is why I'm asking about the ARB covers. I've never heard about clearance problems.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an 09 2DR R and use the ARB for front/back, I don't have any problems.
I've been looking for depth specs on different covers. The numbers are inconsistent.

Thx for the info. I think ARB front and back for me also. $400 Grrrrr

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 4dr 2015 Rubicon and replaced the diff cover with front and back ARBs. Love the look BUT the front cover hit the stock track bar. Lifting the jeep this week and hopefully this will take care of the problem

1 - 17 of 17 Posts