Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the new gears in a Dana 44 rear end I picked up on Craigslist. It came with 5.38's and an ARB locker. I replaced the gears and all the bearings, got it under the Jeep about two weeks ago and it's been great.

Last night I had time to plumb the air lines from the compressor to the diff. I got it all done and checked it out but it was pushing all the air out the vent tube.

I haven't hit my 500 mile change yet, so I've not cracked open the cover, but I'm pretty sure that's the next step.

Am I missing something? Is there anything I should be checking prior to pulling the cover off? Any suggestions what it nought be before I got elbow deep into this thing?

I made sure the o rings in the locker looked ok and weren't twisted. I replaced the small o ring in the bulk head.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. This is my first experience with an air locker.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
You have a leak somewhere. Pull the cover and find the hissing.

A common mess up is not installing the seals correctly. They are not a round seal, they have a square cross section and the tolerance is very tight. It's easy for them to get twisted or pinched when installing them. Coat everything with gear oil, it goes together a lot easier.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're talking about the "o-rings" in the "actuator" thing? The two that have to remain in place as they fit around the left side of the locker?

If that's what you're talking about, they should be good. I checked them every time I had to pull the locker to make adjustments and they were always seated properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
You're talking about the "o-rings" in the "actuator" thing? The two that have to remain in place as they fit around the left side of the locker?

If that's what you're talking about, they should be good. I checked them every time I had to pull the locker to make adjustments and they were always seated properly.

Yea, that's what I mean. Get some soapy water and spray it on everything inside the housing. The problem should show up.

The copper line likes to crack where it meets the air collar.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping for the bulkhead. That's an easy fix. Then I guess the copper. After I'd prefer not to have to pull the locker, but if that's what needs to happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts