Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one of these is should I choose? It will go in my front dana 30.
What do you think with pros and cons.

Thanks

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
I've heard the eLockers aren't that great...never used either myself. ARB's seem to be the best of the best as long as you have someone install it that has experience with ARB installs.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also heard that the ARB will lose it's air and will need to replace the seals if not being use often?

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
by Scott Frary at Dynatrac on another forum

...."Selectable Lockers - This is a differential that can changed be from open (or limited slip in the case of the Ected) to fully locked (or semi locked- also the Ected) by the operator from the driver’s seat. Actuation can be achieved by 12v power, air or cable. These products have superior road manners when compared to an auto locker, but only when they are in the OFF and Unlocked position.

Lockers in this category include: ARB, Auburn Ected, Eaton ELocker, OX locker and Zip Locker.
ARB is still the benchmark to beat. While they can experience failures due to poor installation, ARBs remain on the top of the heap. When properly installed they are reliable, lock and unlock very quickly and are very strong.

The Eaton ELocker is right up there with ARB with their Dana 30 (and 35) model, but the ELocker has an advantage due to its 12V actuation. Eaton claims that testing has shown the ELocker to be equal to ARB in strength and ease of actuation. The other ELocker models (e.g. Dana 44 & Dana 60) have a less desirable 2-pinion design that is much weaker than their comparable ARB. Their actuation, while also 12V, is different than the Dana 30 and 35 versions and not as reliable. The Eaton ELocker has similarities to the GKN produced Tru Lok differential that is standard equipment with the JK Rubicon package. Be aware that, as mentioned above, Dana 44 Eaton ELockers are a 2-pinion design. This design is much weaker than the 4-pinion design used by GKN in the Tru Lok."....
I personally would go with the ARB. If you need help with acquiring one, check the vendor's spotlight for more information or PM me.

Allen

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I personally would go with the ARB. If you need help with acquiring one, check the vendor's spotlight for more information or PM me.

Allen
Mahalo for that quote, it was insightful.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If this is going in the front, why not put in a Lock Right style or an Aussie. These are automatic lockers and when in 2 wheel drive you will not even know they are in there and they work great and are less expensive.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
If this is going in the front, why not put in a Lock Right style or an Aussie. These are automatic lockers and when in 2 wheel drive you will not even know they are in there and they work great and are less expensive.
X2. Many are afraid of automatic lockers because of what they may have read in a catalog or a rumor they heard that an automatic locker should not be installed up front. When a TJ is in 2 wheel drive, an automatic locker is pretty much invisible. That's not the case with all 4x4 vehicles but it is for the Jeep Wrangler. My last wrangler had an automatic locker up front and I could not tell it was even there when I was in 2wd.

But if you really want a selectable locker, go with the ARB. Properly installed, it will give many, many years of reliable service.

Properly installed, again, they are not prone to leakage.
either. They have a reputation for being pretty much bulletproof.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts