Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my JK re-geared and added ARB lockers front and rear. The original plan was to mount the compressor, front & rear locker switches in the dash above the driver side speaker. Apparently, there's not enough room there.

Next up, the A-pillar. Unfortunately, I was advised that was not a good idea because sometime in the next few months I plan to add a Rock Hard cage and the switches would be in the way. Scratch the A-pillar.

In order to get the lockers installed and operational, we went with a Daystar lower dash rocker panel. This is not a good solution. The switches extend out from the dash and when shifting into first, the stick hits the switch and disables the lockers.

I have an sPod up top, but I've outgrown that space. it houses and light and radio power switches.

Anybody else with a 2 manual tranny JK? Give me some suggestions for a better mounting location. Post up some pics!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Almost every pic I see of ARB switches in a JK/U are above the drivers side speaker so I don't know why it wouldn't fit on your rig.

Also almost all of Jeep concepts based on the JK/U place the switches there as well.

A pic below of just one of Jeeps concepts with the switches just above the driver side speaker. Many others to see if you Google it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I just had my JK re-geared and added ARB lockers front and rear. The original plan was to mount the compressor, front & rear locker switches in the dash above the driver side speaker. Apparently, there's not enough room there.
There is definitely enough room above the driver side speaker to install whatever switches you like. Here's my setup with Contura XIV switches:

Switches with panel and wires easily fit there:

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have a 4 dr manual and even though I was advised to not get the daystar rocker panel I got it thinking I could doctor it up and I did.

I put the rocker switches in this order, compressor, rear, front.

I put some blue tape over all the switches so that they wouldnt activate when I would go to first gear. Luckily 1st gear hits the front switch which means that even if the switch activates the system won't work because the compressor has to be on first.
After about 3 months of using the stick with the tape on by itself somehow the boot does not mess with the panel at all now and I can take off the tape. I don't know why daystar doesn't create a new mold and just move the switches a little to the right or left to accommomdate for manuals its' stupid.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I was sure I had seen the OEM switches mounted above the speaker. I guess they thought the ARB switch panel would be bigger and wouldn't fit. It seems most guys have auto trannies and the shop went with what they are most familiar. I'll get those switches moved above the speaker real quick.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fix was easier than I thought. I was going to move the switches but one of the mechanics at my regular shop suggested a mod to the stick instead. He put a slight bend in the stick and it no longer makes contact with the switches. Here's a shot of the clearance with the tranny in first gear. Problem solved.

IMG_0386.jpg

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Easy fix...nice. My locker switches are where the other guys have them. Right above the drivers side speaker. Lots of room in there if you ever do decide to add.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
The fix was easier than I thought. I was going to move the switches but one of the mechanics at my regular shop suggested a mod to the stick instead. He put a slight bend in the stick and it no longer makes contact with the switches. Here's a shot of the clearance with the tranny in first gear. Problem solved.

View attachment 3386578

I was just going to suggest this to you. I had the same issue and did the same thing to repair it. My buddy has his above the speaker but he is 6'3 like me and hits them with his knee occasionally. This is why I went with the other location. Eventually added the labeled switch operators.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Never thought about bending the stick shift great idea will look into it.....
It doesn't bend easy. I have a set of oxygen / acetylene torches and after I removed the shifter a figured out how I wanted to reshape it I mounted it in a vice, heated it red hot in the spot I wanted to bend it and gave it a tug. There is a rubber vibration absorbing mount where it bolts to the transmission so I dropped it into a bucket of water after a few seconds so that I wouldn't damage it. A new coat of satin black and back on.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I mounted my e-locker switches above the driver side speaker also.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There is definitely enough room above the driver side speaker to install whatever switches you like. Here's my setup with Contura XIV switches:

Switches with panel and wires easily fit there:
That looks really sharp. I just wired in my new rear electronic locker and just installed the 1 rocker switch there but it doesn't look as clean as that. Where did you get the panel and rocker switches? Can you send me a link?
Thanks!

·
Registered
696 Posts
That looks really sharp. I just wired in my new rear electronic locker and just installed the 1 rocker switch there but it doesn't look as clean as that. Where did you get the panel and rocker switches? Can you send me a link?
Thanks!
These are Contura XIV switches (Front Locker, Rear Locker and Locker Power) mounted on this panel

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Actually, I tried "cheaper" switches from Amazon when I wired the winch on my Polaris Ranger, mistake!!!
Now keep in mind the Ranger just has a roof, no doors or windshield. I was plowing one night, looked in the mirror to back up, and saw 20' of winch rope behind me. The switch was engaging, and spooling rope out, thankfully it was going out, and not in. I did-assembled the switch and found it full of water and ice!
Two lessons learned.
1- Use quality Contura switches.
2- Setup winches and lockers with a power switch BEFORE the activation switches!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Guys .. you are all showing 11+ dashes telling a guy with an 07-10 dash it will work where you have it. Different dashes folks. Glad you found a solution with the Stick modification. If you want to add more switches you can put them on the lower dash panel. There should be enough room under there to fit a few. I have my monitor for my dual battery setup on it with plenty of room.

Lunatic Fridge

1 - 18 of 18 Posts