Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARB = $885 plus $108 for install. (I'm NOT mechanically inclined.)

XHD = $689 plus $108 for install.

Like the look of the ARB a little better, but it's more expensive and HEAVY. I do really like the look of the XHD too.

So, my question is, other than the looks (subjective) and cost, can any of you think of reasons to go with one over the other?

:banghead: (That's me, trying to make a decision.)

EDIT: If it wasn't clear, I'm talking about front bumpers here. :-D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
ARB Deluxe retains the crush cans so its airbag compatible. I also read that XHD fitment/quality isn't as great in comparison to ARB or AEV (They actually work together to produce the new line of AEV bumpers).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Matador, airbag sensors are not located on the bumper. So your comment about the "airbag compatible" is not accurate.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to go with the XHD. It's the one that I've been saying that I'm going to get for a while now. I decided to go with my gut, plus it's a lot cheaper. It will be on Bosco within two weeks! I'll be sure to post pics.

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Good choice. Matador's response was incorrect in 2 ways. Crush cans don't affect air bag deployment, in fact there are no "sensors" in the bumper. Also the fitament of the XHD is spot on. ARB and AEV equals overpriced junk

-Dan

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I never said the bumpers contained airbag sensors. Like the stock bumper, the ARB Deluxe retains the factory "Crush Cans" which are just collapsable metal to absorb low impacts and not trigger the airbag system, hence the fact that these bumpers are "airbag compatible"

From AEV's website said:
Our Premium Front Bumper includes auxiliary light mounts, factory fog light mounts, and crush cans to help correct low speed air bag deployment.
JK Premium Front Bumper - Shop By Category

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Do you know the rough weight of the RR XHD?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New2012JEEP said:
Do you know the rough weight of the RR XHD?
With the nonwinch bumper, hoop, and standard ends, your looking at about 107lbs.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
I never said the bumpers contained airbag sensors. Like the stock bumper, the ARB Deluxe retains the factory "Crush Cans" which are just collapsable metal to absorb low impacts and not trigger the airbag system, hence the fact that these bumpers are "airbag compatible"

JK Premium Front Bumper - Shop By Category
They are all "airbag copmpatible". The crush cans are completely useless unless you happen to hit one so the it can "absorb" that low impact. Then what? Buy a new bumper because it's dented in the one place that would have actually made a dent?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
owltown said:
my real question is: if i put the bumper on and add a winch, do i need to modify my front suspension?
Probably. But I'm taking a wait and see approach. Gonna put it on first and see how it looks and then decide on lift/leveling kit/do nothing.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
They are all "airbag copmpatible". The crush cans are completely useless unless you happen to hit one so the it can "absorb" that low impact. Then what? Buy a new bumper because it's dented in the one place that would have actually made a dent?
If they were all "compliant" like your claiming then why do only a handful market them as such? You would figure that if it was just a useless marketing term that would generate a higher price, each manufacturer would have at least one of their bumper "air bag complaint" and charge a premium, no? OR the crush cans do serve a purpose preventing low speed impacts from falsely trigging the airbag system. I don't know about you daggo, but I would much rather replace a set of crush cans, or even the entire bumper before replacing a set of airbags that were set off during a low speed impact.

·
Registered
245 Posts
ARB = $885 plus $108 for install. (I'm NOT mechanically inclined.)

XHD = $689 plus $108 for install.

Like the look of the ARB a little better, but it's more expensive and HEAVY. I do really like the look of the XHD too.

So, my question is, other than the looks (subjective) and cost, can any of you think of reasons to go with one over the other?

:banghead: (That's me, trying to make a decision.)

EDIT: If it wasn't clear, I'm talking about front bumpers here. :-D
WHy pay $108 to put on, with some basic tools you can do it yourself. Shouldnt take more than an hour or two. Thats $108 that can go towards other mods

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Airbags do not get set off all that easily. Remember they are two specific points on the bumper. They are not absorbing an even impact. That impact must hit the can. I'm betting those are specifically designed to aide in the federally mandated bumper crash test. AEV probably makes the Mopar off road bumper so they most likely include it on their JK bumper for scales of economy and being able to have it added to special editions such as the COD. They obviously aren't required by the aftermarket and if they were that important for air bag functionality, I guarantee they would be required for aftermarket bumpers.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DD293G said:
WHy pay $108 to put on, with some basic tools you can do it yourself. Shouldnt take more than an hour or two. Thats $108 that can go towards other mods
See above. "I'm NOT mechanically inclined." I'd much rather pay $108 to have it done right without damaging my Jeep or my bumper.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Airbags do not get set off all that easily. Remember they are two specific points on the bumper. They are not absorbing an even impact. That impact must hit the can. I'm betting those are specifically designed to aide in the federally mandated bumper crash test. AEV probably makes the Mopar off road bumper so they most likely include it on their JK bumper for scales of economy and being able to have it added to special editions such as the COD. They obviously aren't required by the aftermarket and if they were that important for air bag functionality, I guarantee they would be required for aftermarket bumpers.
Thanks for your guarantee Tom, that seals the deal for me then.

Joking aside, Crush cans serve a purpose, they aren't superficial add-ons that companies can spin and charge a premium over. Are they crucial for the airbag system? No. will your air bag system be severely compromised without them? No. Very important, do they HELP? I think yes, they serve a function and if all things are considered the same I would opt for the safer side and go with them, which goes back to the OP question of the difference between the two bumpers. I was then called out as being incorrect and misquoted, so I'm supporting my claims based on the manufacturer's claims. Now, I'm going to guess here, but neither one of us are experts in this field and must rely only on what we read online or through 3rd parties. So everything we bring to the table is based off that... include your guarantee Tom, sorry.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
You obviously didn't read that correctly. Why don't all bumpers have them if they are so important?

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
If you like them and feel safer with them, then by all means get them. Just be sure that when you hit something you aim for the cans.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts