Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We could really use some help.
Our ARB dual compressor is constantly cycling when we use our lockers and barely airs up our tires. We did a simple leak check and found nothing, but was told it may be in the diff. My question is: If that is the problem, why would we would have issues airing up our tires?

We have a trip to Hot Springs coming up and hope to get this fixed soon.
(It is two years old and we mostly only drive this to the trail and on the trail.)

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm guessing the leak is not in your differential. Why? Well, I'm guessing your lockers are disengaged when you're airing up. If I'm correct about that, then there's no air flowing to your diffs at that time and the leak has to be at the manifold or compressor. Because of that, I'm guessing that your compressor will cycle even when your lockers are disengaged and you're not airing up. If you're not sure, test it with the engine running as heat could affect your results.

If you still have the plugs that came with your manifold, I suggest you remove the solenoid switches and your hose disconnect and reinstall the plugs, then retest. If it still cycles from there, your leak is somewhere between your compressor and your manifold, or in your manifold itself. If the problem stops, reinstall one piece at a time, using fresh teflon tape, until you either reproduce the problem or (hopefully) have everything reinstalled successfully.

Just do a step by step process of elimination. You'll find the leak. :)

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Thank you for the terrific advice! That is exactly what we needed.
I agree with your logic completely.
Will be following your steps at some point this week.
:awesome:

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
The barely airing up the tires coupled with the compressor short cycling to me says leak in a solenoid or the manifold.

The leak is not in the dif as that wouldn't cause the compressor to struggle with airing up the tires.

It could be weak rings in the compressor but again, the system should keep the air at a minimum of 90 PSI while the lockers are on, so if the manifold or tiny tank is leaking, the compressor will constantly short cycle.

When rewraping the fittings, use multiple wraps of Teflon tape. A single wrap might not seal.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
If you do not find any leaking connections, then I would tend to agree with cranbiz on the weak rings.
A few quick questions to ask yourself:
How old is the compressor?
Where is it mounted?
How many time has it shut itself off to prevent overheating? (more accurately: OVERHEATED and taking time to cool back down)

OIL-LESS compressors have Teflon/Plastic rings that REALLY do not like getting hot. That is why the powers to be at ARB says it is 100% Duty Cycle at 72 degrees (room temperatures). I am only guessing that if it is mounted under the hood for many years and has shut itself off many times due to overheating, the rings are your problem. ARB will rebuild it for you and freshen everything back up to new spec's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts