Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently installed the compressor in the engine compartment with the Metalcloak mount and ran the lines to quick disconnects in the cab on driver and passenger side. Used it for the first time (aside from testing it out on my spare after the initial install) a couple weeks ago on a poker run. I was very pleased with the performance and how quick I was able to fill my tires back up from 15 to 30 PSI (in about 90 seconds each tire). The only complaint I had was when I disconnected the line from the Quick Disconnect it caught me by surprise when it shot out of the coupler. I should have expected it but didn't. Won't make that mistake again.. hold on to that bad boy or expect damage and/or injury.

This last weekend went wheeling in some higher temps. Was in the high mid-90's I'd guess and the engine compartment was very hot. I aired up as I had done the previous weekend starting on the passenger side. Disconnected the line from the coupling and connected it on the driver side. After airing two tires I went to disconnect the line from the coupling an burned my fingers good. That freakin coupler was HOT!!! I mean REAL HOT! I opened the hood and and could feel the heat coming off the compressor. I had covered the air line with standard 3/8 wire loom and it was melted to the air line going into the cab. I didn't dare try touching it until after a few minutes and even then it was extremely hot.

I'm wondering if others have encountered extreme compressor temperatures like this? Normal for a hot day wheeling? Are you doing anything like adding fans or something (short of a vented hood)?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Same experience here. That is why you don't want to mount it under your seat! I keep my hood open while airing up. Use a glove or something to disconnect.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Yup, they get hot especially mounted in the engine compartment (like mine) and on hot days. The compressor will shut-off if it actually gets TOO hot so dont be surprised when that happens.
On a hot day with the hood closed (and before my hood louvers were installed) i aired up 9 33" and 35" tires before it overheated. Now whenever I'm going to do more than 4 tires I open the hood and I've done up to 12 without it shutting off due to heat.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I always use gloves when I'm airing up. The couplings get hot. And it says on the compressor, "Caution. May be hot."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always use gloves when I'm airing up. The couplings get hot. And it says on the compressor, "Caution. May be hot."

I didn't touch the compressor until long after it was turned off. But the warning should say "gets hotter than the bowels of hell"

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Always air up with the hood open. Have a buddy thinking about putting the compressor inside I told him, "go ahead, let me know how that works out for a ya". Took him a second to process, his spouse normally sits in the Jeep while he airs up. Am thinking there will be more "noise" on the way home from the run then there was during the air up process.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used my ARB twin to air up this past weekend on the trails, and ended up blowing a fuse for one of the compressors. I didn't have any spare 40A maxi-fuses with me, but running on the one remaining compressor did the job, just slowly. I hope that blowing fuses isn't a normal thing for these (but I did order spares). So I'll be going through and double checking that all connections are tight.

My compressor is mounted under the hood, but the hood was definitely open when airing up. I'm hoping that adding an air tank will take some of the strain off the compressor - right now I'm just using the small manifold kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's exactly this kind of issue that is steering me towards getting a portable compressor as opposed to a hard-wired/permanently mounted one...Any thoughts/recommendations? Or is that a step in the wrong direction? Thanks...

·
Registered
721 Posts
It's exactly this kind of issue that is steering me towards getting a portable compressor as opposed to a hard-wired/permanently mounted one...Any thoughts/recommendations? Or is that a step in the wrong direction? Thanks...

The super flow mv series seems to get good reviews. I was eyeing the mv90.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a mv50. Good little AC but not 100% duty and takes 3 times as long to air up.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've used my twin to air up tires at my house and got to use it this past weekend after running some trails. I love it. It the single most useful thing I've bought for my Jeep.

I've only used one portable compressor and it was a cheap little thing I got on Amazon. It worked for a season flawlessly but took eons to air up. It never shut down from overheating but my legs would cramp up from kneeling by the tires for 30 minutes.

The twin is sooo much faster and quieter. It gets hot but so does every other compressor. I haven't had any issues with the fuses but get some spares if you do have trouble (should carry some anyway) and you are covered.

It was the mv50. Works good but is slow.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Always air up with the hood open. Have a buddy thinking about putting the compressor inside I told him, "go ahead, let me know how that works out for a ya". Took him a second to process, his spouse normally sits in the Jeep while he airs up. Am thinking there will be more "noise" on the way home from the run then there was during the air up process.

I have mine mounted under the passenger seat. I live in the North East and I was afraid that the salt from the roads and stuff would eat it up under the hood. I have used it probably 20 times since the install to air up my 37 x 13.5 X 17 Nittos when wheeling or coming off the beach. The beach isn't too bad cause I only air down to 16 psi but when I go off road I drop the tires down to 8. Typically I air up and then pass the hose off to at lease one more guy as well. Mine gets hot and buy hot I mean you can only hold it with your bare hand for 3 - 4 seconds. Pretty hot I agree but not hot enough that I have melted my carpet or anything and there is a couple inches of airspace between the pump and seat. My GF has never said anything about the seat being hot and she's pretty good at complaining.. er, ah,.. I mean informing me of things. I did relocate my fittings to an air tank I have mounted in the back of my Jeep so nothing gets hot back there but I will have to watch this better. If some people are having them get as hot as they say they are I may need to reconsider my mounting.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Being new to the Jeep world and having yet to drive mine for the first time (hopefully, next week), I'm entertaining an even more exotic option - keep using my old and trusty high volume bicycle floor pump that I carry in my other vehicles. I've been ridiculed for that before, but usually people stop doing that when they see that it takes about 20 pushes to bring the pressure 5PSI up. Also, free exercise :)

Am I nuts, or it makes sense? Especially compared to a "slow pump".

·
Registered
329 Posts
I really wanted OBA, but couldn't justify the cost, temps or lack of portability. I'm hoping I get many years of service out of my 400P that will always be in at the Jeep.

But I feel like my OBA is as portable as it gets! I can take it anywhere my Jeep can go.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Then I run my hose to their tires.

I get what you're saying, but my portable compressor was always in my Jeep, so if I was without my Jeep, I was without my compressor. It's the same now, but I have 100% duty cycle and faster fill ups.

Not everyone wants to take on the cost of buying OBA units or installing them, but for those that air up frequently, it's a really convenient perk.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
single piston ARB gets pretty damn hot as well.

I checked the temp with a laser thermometer. Before airing up the tires, the blue heat sink was 72* same as ambient. I started the engine and had the hood open. After inflating all 4 tires from 18psi to 37psi. The heat sink was 132* and the piston area was 232*.

the hose's coupler and the quick disconnect that comes with the ARB inflation kit is plastic covered. now I know why.

BTW, the portables get really hot too. it is kind of a hassle to have to store it somewhere when hot. been there. main reason I bought an OBA

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts