Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've posted a few pictures on my 1st jeep here and have been asked to post the build. So here it is. This build has been completed so I'll be posting the original posts from where I originally posted.

I'm not on this forum very often but it you have questions, I'm happy to respond. Just PM me and I'll likely get back to you quicker.

Anyway this build started as a 2012 JK sport which I picked up as a salvage. I wanted to aim for a low center of gravity build (something like the JEEP Lower 40) becasue I'm in Florida and don't see much in the way of terrain. So here goes.......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's my build thread. Many of you have been great so far in helping me move along with ideas on how to end up with my jeep just how I want it. I'm starting with a 2 door sport and I'm working to develop a LCOG beach cruiser. Anyway here is a picture of what I started with. Basic 2012 2 door sport. Then the first changes I made were to the front bumper and windshield.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the JK Pro-Crawler Front Bumper from River Raider. I wanted to retain my fog lights so the guys at River Raider mounted brackets for the lights. At the time I ordered the bumper I wasn't sure what fog lights I was going to use so the bumper mounting holes were not pre-drilled. This way I could decide how far out I wanted the bumper to extend and still fit the fog lights in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Becasue of how far out I mounted the bumper there was a bit of a gap between the bumper and the grill so I welded a strip to the bumper to close the gap.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next I wanted to lay back the windshield so I altered the hinge and cut the brackets and re-welded both.

This also made a gap between the windshield and the cowl so then I had to add some metal to teh bottom of the windshield. (The blue circles are magnets)

Of course with the altered windshield the full doors no longerr fit so I found someone who had half doors and wanted to trade for my full doors. It worked out well becasue we both had black jeeps. Here's a look from the side.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next I took on the tailgate re-work. Want it to be a fold down with the jeep emblem like a CJ:

Once the tailgate is finished I'll be moving onto replacing the muffler so I can add the River Raider rear bumper.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some pictures of the original inspiration for the build. As I said some of the vision is coming from River Raider and some from the Jeep Lower 40. Although I'm not aiming for 40 inch tires. That's more than I want to get into. However the newer Jeep Flattop with 37" tires is also pretty good looking in my opinion.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a look a the tailgate in progress. The old CJ tailgate was cut and welded into the hole I had cut into the JK tailgate. I started adding filler before I thought about taking more pictures. not very pretty at this point but it turned out to be my favorite part in the end.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also cut the muffler and resonator out. I replaced these with a flowmaster HP2. Didn't like the sound of the flowmaster so returned it and tried a Magnaflow muffler. It is much quieter. I also covered where the tailgate hinges attached to the tub.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's pictures of progress on the tailgate. Botton edge is finished. Now working on the top and sides.

More work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does still have a long way to go at this point.
Here is a primed picture. The primer did bring out some not-perfect areas so I've got a little more work to do.

Here's the tailgate painted black.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I moved to the roll bar and took it off. I'll start working on the new roll bar next.

Here's a quick shot of the new roll bar in progress.

The new roll bar is all welded in and mostly the grinding has been finished in these pics.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's an in progress pic of the work on the fiberglass flares. I'm working on making them a little more angular.

Painted roll bar.

New 37" MT/Rs

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MT/Rs will go on Black Rugged Ridge wheels. As for the fenders - I am going to make them a little more narrow. The front and the back have also been cut/going to be cut at an angle too. Here are a few more pictures of the front and back. Of course the new tires will fill in the fenders a lot more so the picture look a little strange with the itty bitty tires.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here is a picture of the tires next to the jeep to get an idea of what it will look like. It still looks like the front end is sloping down a little. but it turned out fine after all was completed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here are the pictures! There wasn't that much weight needed to balance he tires. So that was nice to see.

Here's a piture of the tire that required the most weight.

And I finally put the tailgate back on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was able to add some spidertrax 1.5 inch spacers and with one extra washer added to the steering stop I now have zero rubbing. PLanned to line the interior with line-x and wanted to do the exterior to hide some of the imperfections in the metal work I had done. Here's a photoshop of going blue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did fill in all the holes around the edge of the tub where the hard top would have bolted onto. Here how it came out.

Fenders moving in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts