Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

Long story short its time to switch out the stock tires. I think my Jeep is set up for 37s i just want to make sure im not overlooking something, I have done a bunch of mods to it over the past month in order to prep it for 37s. But i could still use a sanity check.

Its a 2015 Wrangler Sort 2 door with a manual transmission.

If anyone can foresee any issues with adding 37s to my current set up please let me know. I generally do intermediate trails, some crawling when i get the chance, And i try to avoid mud pits.

Lift kit: Metal Cloak Game Changer 3.5Front/2.5 Rear with ARB shocks
Axels: G2 Core44 Front and Rear W/ 5.13 and arb Locker
Knuckles: Reid Racing d30-44 with Metal cloak's drag link and tie rod
Tail gate Hinges : The Tera flex one
Breaks: Bear breaks 6 piston 13.5 rotor in the front and 4 piston 12.88 in the rear.
Drive Shaft: Tom Woods 1310 Front and stock DS in the rear

I still have stock Fenders (will cut or upgrade if need be) and have not touched anything steering wise except drag link and tie rod, I would also like to use my stock wheels with a 1.5 inch spacer.

I know some may say its over geared but i live in Hawaii and the top speed limit here is only 60 MPH and with the usual traffic its more like 30MPH

So what are your opinions? Past experiences? and is there something im not taking into account?

Thanks for any help

-James

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sounds good to me. You've got the lift, the gears, the axles, and the brakes.

You might want more power later but that's not needed up front. Go for it!

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Check the angle on your DS, I ended up going 1350 when I went with ProRock 44 front, I run 37" KO2's.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Do it right and just get the Hutchinson Beadlocks. Running spacers is risky. If you don't want to pay the 500 per wheel get yourself some wheels with the correct backspacing but don't do the spacers. Otherwise sounds like a good build. You will have to trim those fenders or they will trim themselves when you flex that baby.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just switched to 37s with a 3" lift and I had to cut and trim quite a bit from the pinch seam area because the tire kept rubbing when it would get stuffed. My lift came with fixed control arms so I can't adjust them to move the axle back a bit. What control arms are you using? I would think you will rub somewhere, so be prepared to cut and trim.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You're ready for 37's. You don't need 50 pound beadlocks, but you should look into a 4.5 backspace, 17x9 wheel though. Spidertrax spacers will work for now, but I had less vibrations when I ditched the stockers/spacers for new wheels.

I had to cut the fenders flat and trim the rear pinch seam to make room for my 37x13.5's with 3" of lift.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had 35s w/ 3.5" RK Flex System on the stock Willys wheels and Spidertrax and at full lock I found that I was still rubbing the lower front control arm. I would look for a good set of 17x9 with 4.50 backspacing like mentioned. Once I went to my new wheels I had zero issues at all. You're built enough everywhere else to handle the 37s...go to it and enjoy.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi guys and gals,

Long story short its time to switch out the stock tires. I think my Jeep is set up for 37s i just want to make sure im not overlooking something, I have done a bunch of mods to it over the past month in order to prep it for 37s. But i could still use a sanity check.

Its a 2015 Wrangler Sort 2 door with a manual transmission.

If anyone can foresee any issues with adding 37s to my current set up please let me know. I generally do intermediate trails, some crawling when i get the chance, And i try to avoid mud pits.

Lift kit: Metal Cloak Game Changer 3.5Front/2.5 Rear with ARB shocks
Axels: G2 Core44 Front and Rear W/ 5.13 and arb Locker
Knuckles: Reid Racing d30-44 with Metal cloak's drag link and tie rod
Tail gate Hinges : The Tera flex one
Breaks: Bear breaks 6 piston 13.5 rotor in the front and 4 piston 12.88 in the rear.
Drive Shaft: Tom Woods 1310 Front and stock DS in the rear

I still have stock Fenders (will cut or upgrade if need be) and have not touched anything steering wise except drag link and tie rod, I would also like to use my stock wheels with a 1.5 inch spacer.

I know some may say its over geared but i live in Hawaii and the top speed limit here is only 60 MPH and with the usual traffic its more like 30MPH

So what are your opinions? Past experiences? and is there something im not taking into account?

Thanks for any help

-James
Your build looks good. Coming from someone who has been running 37s for the last 100k miles there are a few things I will point out from your set up. First running stock wheels and wheel spacers will not give you the right backspacing. You will need 3.5" of backspacing or less to avoid frame/control arm rub at full lock. There is nothing wrong with wheel spacers if installed correctly so what you can do is get new wheels with 4.5" of backing and pair them up with wheel spacers or get a beadlock with 3.5" of backspacing. I run wheels with 4.75" of backspacing with spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers for a total of 3.25" of backspacing and have full turning radius with no rub. Second, one of the best mods ive done is adding hydro assist. Its been fantastic both on and offroad. I recommend the WTO ******* ram kit. No sense in going all out with a PSC kit for just 37s. I have been running this setup for the last 60k miles with no issues. Last thing I will recommend is trimming your fenders or purchase flat fenders. This will allow you to run less bumpstop increasing your up travel. I run 2" bumpstops all around with flat fenders

·
Registered
34 Posts
It sounds like you wont be commuting that far? If so you already have the gears, might as well do the 37s.

·
Registered
209 Posts
To answer the original question- hell yeah, 37's are a terrific idea!

I had 35's on my 2008 JK and liked them. Started with 35's on my current rig, and no complaints, but my mind kept on drifting to 37's or 38's, so I took the plunge on 37's and love them (I couldn't fit in my work parking garage with 38's).

Agree with the others, you are already set. Enjoy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd say absolutely go 37s! I think you've got more than enough into your build to handle them although I don't know how crazy you plan to abuse your rig. I would agree with the others to rethink the wheel/backspace situation though. I had 35s with a 2.5" lift for a few years and just went to 37s and a 3.5". If you've already got 37s on the brain, I don't think you'll be happy with anything less.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Do it. I love mine so far. I am about 700 miles in and don't regret it at all. Just understand, your gas mileage is going to suck though. I am averaging right at 14 in town

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
every time I think I want 37" I think about how cranky my wife will be getting in and out and the thought fades to a memory LOL.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Do it. I love mine so far. I am about 700 miles in and don't regret it at all. Just understand, your gas mileage is going to suck though. I am averaging right at 14 in town
Same here, I actually got excited at 16 on a trip with the cruise control at 68 on a long, straight highway, lol.

to the OP, go for it! You've done all the mods to support them, you may as well do it or you will just be doing it again if you go 35's. I would recommend hydro-assist whenever possible. I only made it about a week without it when I went to 37's on my JKU. A trip to Costco and a 10 point turn to get into and out of the parking space made a believer out of me :)

Lisa

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
A question for all and the OP.... Lots are talking about hydro assist, what axles are you running and do RCV's make it easier (less likely to need hydro) or not?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
A question for all and the OP.... Lots are talking about hydro assist, what axles are you running and do RCV's make it easier (less likely to need hydro) or not?
The stock steering is inherently weak to start with. Hydroassist is not really a "must have" for 37s unless you have and actually use a front locker. Weak stock steering + big heavy tires + locked front axle = either a) you simply will not be able to turn or B) something will eventually break if you try to force the turn. On the street, it isn't really a necessity as your front axle will be open - BUT I would still beef up the stock steering either with a sector shaft brace (which iirc you need to run Synergy parts for it to fit) or the PSC big bore steering box, because that big tire is adding a great deal of stress into a weak stock system. Stock steering is not designed for running big tires.

RCVs eliminate the ujoint and steering bind. You can turn steering stop to steering stop smoothly. However, this would not replace hydroassist (or the other things I mention above) - it simply means when you can turn, it will turn smoother, and without a pesky ujoint to implode. With locked axle and 37s Offroad - smooth or not, you simply won't be able to turn period when bound up on an obstacle whether you have RCVs or not.

I run PSC hydroassist, front RCV/rear chromoly shafts with 37s. I do have lockers (Rubicon) and I do rock crawl.

·
Registered
312 Posts
So, I'm making the dive this weekend to change from KO2 35s to 37s and need some feedback. My understanding is the KO2s run smaller than some other brands. Currently, I have a Mopar 2" lift, stock fenders, 4.56 gears, TF Big Rotor kit on both the front and back, TF HD tire/hinge carrier for the spare, already running aftermarket 17" wheels with (I believe) 4.5 backspacing - all on a 2014 JKU 6-speed. Mechanic doing the install is going to add Synergy spacers and tells me not to worry about the whole wheel falling off with a spacer if it's installed properly (I definitely trust this guy). Thoughts if I need anything else done? He says I'll likely need to trim my stock flares but we're going to wait until I decide on a bumper (thinking the Barricade HD Full Width Trail Force bumper - I can get it for cheap and I like the look of the full width). The stock steering has already been done (a custom one that replaced the stock tie rod, drag link cut/welded from Barnes one ton set) and I'm already running a TF HD track bar.

Appreciate all the feedback - oh, I only plan on doing light trails and, of course, making my own parking spots when the malls are too crowded 🤣.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Your build looks good. Coming from someone who has been running 37s for the last 100k miles there are a few things I will point out from your set up. First running stock wheels and wheel spacers will not give you the right backspacing. You will need 3.5" of backspacing or less to avoid frame/control arm rub at full lock. There is nothing wrong with wheel spacers if installed correctly so what you can do is get new wheels with 4.5" of backing and pair them up with wheel spacers or get a beadlock with 3.5" of backspacing. I run wheels with 4.75" of backspacing with spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers for a total of 3.25" of backspacing and have full turning radius with no rub. Second, one of the best mods ive done is adding hydro assist. Its been fantastic both on and offroad. I recommend the WTO ******* ram kit. No sense in going all out with a PSC kit for just 37s. I have been running this setup for the last 60k miles with no issues. Last thing I will recommend is trimming your fenders or purchase flat fenders. This will allow you to run less bumpstop increasing your up travel. I run 2" bumpstops all around with flat fenders
Interesting. I run AEV Pintlers with 37" MT/R's and have no rub at full turn. I didn't even put washers under the steering stops or anything. What are the Pintlers, 4.75" BS?

Tires only stick out like 1/2" from the bushwackers too, which is nice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts