Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Never posted here as a lifetime TJ'r, but I may be making the jump this afternoon. The 2015 Sport that i'm after does not have the 'Tow Package' (nor does it have a hard top), but there is a 2014 Wrangler Hitch receiver on my local craigslist. Will that work on my 2015 Wrangler? ... It sounds like a dumb question, but I want to make sure all JK's are 'Hitch Ready' if that makes sense.

Last thing I want to do is upgrade from a 4 banger, and still not be able to tow a bike rack, and if i'm able to easily add a hitch myself I can throw a little fuss about needing a hardtop at the dealer.

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Yes, the hitch bolts through the rear cross member with 4 bolts. Then you can add in a 4 pin plug if you need it. It plugs into the harness behind the left tail light.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I've had 3 and put a hitch on all 3. 2010, 2014, 2016.
Very easy to install. You can find them used all the time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! since you have all answered so quickly.....

The Jeep also has those baby 16 inch stock wheels. I found two sets of stock 17's that I love painted black on local craigslist for under 300. Will it also be possible to swap those out without a lift or anything?

I realize these are very basic questions, but i'm about to trade in a TJ and a Renegade to finally get a daily driver Wrangler again. I don't want to leave anything up to 'chance' when i sign those papers.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thanks guys! since you have all answered so quickly.....

The Jeep also has those baby 16 inch stock wheels. I found two sets of stock 17's that I love painted black on local craigslist for under 300. Will it also be possible to swap those out without a lift or anything?

I realize these are very basic questions, but i'm about to trade in a TJ and a Renegade to finally get a daily driver Wrangler again. I don't want to leave anything up to 'chance' when i sign those papers.

Thanks again
What size tires are on the new sets of rims? if they are stock sized (or even rubicon wheels and tires) they will definitely fit. In general, it is a lot easier to fit larger tires on the JK vs the TJ.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size tires are on the new sets of rims? if they are stock sized (or even rubicon wheels and tires) they will definitely fit. In general, it is a lot easier to fit larger tires on the JK vs the TJ.
Stock 17 inch JK tires. I don't know if they have a style name, but the thick barred silver ones. It'll give me time to properly paint them and use some miles on the 16's.

I'd love to get my hands on some Renegade ones, but a JK with 20k miles gives me a lot of time to save up for toys. Compared to always feeding money into a 4 banger that cant even go 70 mph.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have 17s or 18s with 32s on them on an unlifted JK, zero issues. Youll be fine.
Every single jk comes hitch ready because manufacturing them without those 4 holes would cost more money than it would save XD.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Stock 17 inch JK tires. I don't know if they have a style name, but the thick barred silver ones. It'll give me time to properly paint them and use some miles on the 16's.

I'd love to get my hands on some Renegade ones, but a JK with 20k miles gives me a lot of time to save up for toys. Compared to always feeding money into a 4 banger that cant even go 70 mph.
The rim/wheel size doesn't tell us what size tire you want to put on. You can put 31-inch, 33-inch, 35-inch, etc, etc all on a 17 inch rim. You need to get new tires that fit the rim size, and I'm not sure of the max tire size a JK can do.

Don't Jump! Well, I guess if I were driving a 4-banger, I'd jump too.

It's cheaper to add the hitch to the Jeeps than it is to order it from the factory. And it's one of the most simplest things to do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't spend over 50 bucks for a used hitch, I payed 80 for a brand new one with harness from quadratech. very simple to install. I run 17's on my 2012 with no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
One thing to note is that the tow package does include 3.73 gearing. Towing anything with the stock 3.21s might be a bit painful, but if it's just for carrying a bike rack then you'll be absolutely fine.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Don't spend over 50 bucks for a used hitch, I payed 80 for a brand new one with harness from quadratech. very simple to install. I run 17's on my 2012 with no problems at all.
Even at $50 I'd have second thoughts if it wasn't on my way to somewhere.

I sure wouldn't go out of my way to get a used one when the Quadratec unit comes to your door with plug-and-play wiring harness, hitch cover, and all necessary hardware for a <30 minute installation.

Hit up Quadratec on here for the forum discount.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I don't know the tire size I want. I want the stock JK wheel / tire combo that you see on craigslist every other month. The hitch on craigslist is going for 30 with no wiring, but i'm just going for the bike rack for now, no actual towing.

Test drove it over lunch. Manual windows is gonna be a PITA, but i'll get over it! A Wrangler that can go > 70 MPH is gonna be awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Sorry I don't know the tire size I want. I want the stock JK wheel / tire combo that you see on craigslist every other month. The hitch on craigslist is going for 30 with no wiring, but i'm just going for the bike rack for now, no actual towing.

Test drove it over lunch. Manual windows is gonna be a PITA, but i'll get over it! A Wrangler that can go > 70 MPH is gonna be awesome.
Yes it is awesome! :) Congratulations on your find!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I’ve got the 17” wheels on my 2016 JKU. I believe the tires are 245/70 R17’s. You can put 33” tires (285’s) on the stock wheels with no problems from what I understand. I’ll be getting aftermarket wheels and 35” tires and a lift kit in the next few weeks so I’ve been doing a lot of research!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I’ve got the 17” wheels on my 2016 JKU. I believe the tires are 245/70 R17’s. You can put 33” tires (285’s) on the stock wheels with no problems from what I understand. I’ll be getting aftermarket wheels and 35” tires and a lift kit in the next few weeks so I’ve been doing a lot of research!

With 35s you'll need to regear. 3:21s will be painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Guys, on recent JK/JKU all models (except for one special edition and base Sport) come with 32" tires. For the Sport S it's P255/75R17 GY on 5 spoke 17" rims. For the Rubicon its LT255/75R17 on unique rims for the Rubicon (Recon and Chief share the same tires and rims). All Saharas (except for the Chief) come with P255/70R18 tires on 18" rims. (All of those tires are a fraction over 32" tall).

The Big Bear comes with LT265/70R17 BFG KO2 tires which are 31.6" tall.

All the 17" and 18" rims are 7.5" wide which does limit the max size of the tire. For larger tires 33s should do fine with a light rubbing 34 and larger some modifications would need to be done. (spacers, cutting flares, installing flat fenders, lifts, new wheels - not all of these, depending on tire size). The stock size BFG Mud Terrain KM tires look a lot larger than they are.

The towing packing on the JK/JKU does not include an increase in diff gearing. The 3.73 gears are stock on the Rubion (and Rubi special editions) with auto trans, the 4.10 gears are stock on Rubicon and editions on the Rubicon with manual transmission. All others come stock with 3.21 gearing and only the MAX towing packing increases that to 3.73. The 3.73 gears are also a stand alone option on non Rubicons.

BOneill1292 - don't forget two things. Check thoroughly under the Jeep and get a CarFax before you agree to the purchase. There is a thread on here about the father of a member bought a Jeep, did not look underneath or get the reports. It was a 2015 that had been owned by a leasing company and had a lot of rust underneath. (The location was near a seaside and apparently had been driven in the surf).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts