Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in northern Michigan this past weekend and between the drive up and nighttime driving to and from the ER from having a rusty nail from an old treestand go straight through my boot, my windshield looks like I drove through the locust plague. I know the design of the windshield on a Wrangler screams bug catcher but just wondering if a bug/rock deflector actually helps a decent amount or is it more aesthetic?

At times during the night when driving, both my gf and I were unsure if it was raining or just bugs from all the splatter noises.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got the Bushwacker that comes with one piece for the hood and another for the tailgate. Got it primarily to cover a small dent on the tailgate and to avoid paint chips on the leading edge of the hood. It accomplished both of those needs but does nothing to keep bugs off the windshield. When it's love bug season in Florida, my windshield is covered as bad as ever.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It will keep the bugs and rock chips off the hood but they do little if nothing to keep them off the windshield. I have had them on several vehicles and have one on my truck but don't have one on the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
IF you want to protect the leading edge (2") of your hood AND completely disrupt any assemblance of a window washer stream - then Yes they are quite effective.
Other than that - No.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I bought the Bushwacker TrailArmor Bug Guard & Tailgate Protector set a few weeks after buying my new JKU in May. An hour or so after installing the set, my windshield took a rock at about 70mph on the highway leaving a nice chip and small spider crack. Needless to say, the deflector did nothing. Also, my windshield still gets plastered with bugs. It does do a good job of protecting my hood though.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well more bugs hitting the windshield gives me an excuse to wash it more often! A dirty Jeep is nice but a freshly cleaned one is nice too.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
And you are complaining about the jeep windshield ?!?! :)

We've had birds fly into it because they saw reflections of the trees !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
IF you want to protect the leading edge (2") of your hood AND completely disrupt any assemblance of a window washer stream - then Yes they are quite effective.
Other than that - No.
^^ This

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
If you're really concerned with the paint, cover it with clear bra... the windshield is the vulnerable part and the deflector does not really "deflect" anything from it.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Get a windshield transparent film like the one below.
XT Graphics Wrangler Windshield Protection Film J26005 (07-15 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

and protect your grill and headlights with xpel. I have a willys jk and once I found a very miniscule chip on my JW Speaker headlights, it was time to xpel. I don't have the funds to wrap the whole jeep but I paid 160 to have my headlights/grill wrapped in xpel. (I initially purchased my xpel headlight through amazon and i failed putting them on so i had it professionally done.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts