Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are alignment issues, but others have found easier-to-install ones ("Wild Boar"). I showed the Wild Boar ones to my wife; thinking that she'd be delighted. She has questioned the safety (protruding solid metal bars) in the event of an accident/impact. Thoughts?

·
Registered
616 Posts
if you are wearing your seat belt you cannot be thrusted that far into the grabbars.

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
I have both: the Wild Boars sit about 1/4 inch closer to the A-pillar than the Grabars, thus protruding less.

But as already mention, I don't see your head getting that close to either one if buckled down.

You are more likely to bump your head against one of those entering and exiting the Jeep than in an accident.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If you end up on your lid, those bars are going to get a lot closer...

Mark

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,144 Posts
I know that there are alignment issues, but others have found easier-to-install ones ("Wild Boar"). I showed the Wild Boar ones to my wife; thinking that she'd be delighted. She has questioned the safety (protruding solid metal bars) in the event of an accident/impact. Thoughts?
If you end up on your lid, those bars are going to get a lot closer...

Mark
This was my first thought when I saw these a few years ago - personally speaking, I wouldn't install them.

I don't like grab handles on A-pillars even when they come from the factory - totally useless. The grab handle should be flexible and mounted above the seat so you can pull your weight up into the seat.... or out of the seat. Then when sitting in the seat, traveling, you can hold on to that handle above you to prevent from pitching side-to-side or up-and-down.

Mounted on the A-pillar, when reaching out at a 45 degree angle, it serves no purpose.

Some design engineers get it - some don't.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
This was my first thought when I saw these a few years ago - personally speaking, I wouldn't install them.

I don't like grab handles on A-pillars even when they come from the factory - totally useless. The grab handle should be flexible and mounted above the seat so you can pull your weight up into the seat.... or out of the seat. Then when sitting in the seat, traveling, you can hold on to that handle above you to prevent from pitching side-to-side or up-and-down.

Mounted on the A-pillar, when reaching out at a 45 degree angle, it serves no purpose.

I have to disagree. My flexible handles that came in the Jeep got tossed. They're useless. No stability.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Ha! I wonder if that's how NASA verified their o-rings and gas tank foam?

A better search would be "Wrangler crash test video".

Mark

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Ha! I wonder if that's how NASA verified their o-rings and gas tank foam?

A better search would be "Wrangler crash test video".

Mark
Unless you're not belted in there is no way your head will contact the grab handles. Maybe if you rolled it but if the roof crushes you got bigger issues.

·
Premium Member
10,144 Posts
I have to disagree. My flexible handles that came in the Jeep got tossed. They're useless. No stability.
That's fine... I don't use mine either. My grab handles in my 1991 Cherokee work perfect - so do other vehicles that have the same design.

With that said, I still wouldn't install a solid bar up on the A-pillar.

Do whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Keep in mind that solid A-pillar handles can cause brain housing group damage if you or your passenger are leaning forward (to view the front end while on a trail or on a stump, parking curb, etc.) when a sudden stop or a thrust forward causes head contact with the hard handles.

A simple solution is to remain sitting back in the seat with your seat belt on while in motion or, maybe even more importantly, when "about to go in motion".

·
Premium Member
10,144 Posts
Yeah, something like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Without personal experience nobody can say you can't/won't/could never be thrust far enough while belted into these skull crushers. My guess is, it's possible. Anything is.

Me? I'll continue to enjoy the extra ease of access my Grabars provide, while wearing my seat-belt behind my air-bag equipped steering wheel, and not driving after drinking, vigilantly watching my cholesterol intake, and hoping to hell I never have to prove or disprove their potentially inherent danger.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm happy to see this thread. My Dad's a shorty and is complaining about getting in. I thought grabars would be a good idea. Looked at a lot of photos and had the same thought: Are these things safe in an accident? I'm leaning to Bartact handles.

·
Premium Member
10,144 Posts
I can tell right now this is going to be a fun thread..

Probably should move it over to JK general discussion to get more exposure.

·
Premium Member
10,144 Posts
This is the image I see when I think about solid bars mounted on the A-pillar...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,042 Posts

I felt the exact way about these at first. Then I installed them and realized my prior thinking was incorrect... It is so much easier to grab them and slide on in then it was with the typical flexible handle mounted to the roll bar above the seat. Not saying they are for everybody or for you but for me and for every recurring passenger that has rode in my jeep since I have had both styles the grabars are a much better option and make getting in and out of my jeep easier. Being able to stretch your arm some and pull your self up gives more leverage than just reaching above your head.

As far as those that are concerned about head injuries I was also a bit concerned and I can say they are a whole lot further away than I anticipated and at an angle that would be difficult to hit them. Just wear your seat belt. If somehow my head were make it far enough to hit them, then it was either going thru the windshield or into the metal A pillar anyhow so at that point I have problems regardless of handles installed.

Moral of the story is, I was hesitant to order them for the price and the above concerns, but I'm really glad I did. My mother and fiance have a much easier time getting into the jeep which is why I bought them in the first place if they are happy then I am a happy customer!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have both installed, The grabars and flexible handles. I use the grabars to get in and out and the flexible handles for the trail because the grabars are too far forward to help for that. I rotate the flexible ones up when not in use. I have never hit my head on them but have banged it on the roll bar while on the trail. It hurts even with the padding. lol

1 - 20 of 60 Posts