Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Jeeps (particularly Wranglers) safe vehicles? Thoughts? Your experiences? Appreciate any input! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Seriously? Its like asking if a ride on a rodeo bull is safe. Wranglers are as safe as you drive them. They are as safe as you maintain them. If you dont overdrive the capabilities of any vehicle, they are safe. Would I let my 16yr old grandson drive off in my YJ? Not until he proves he understands the vehicles driving characteristics.

As mentioned, high speed maneuvers are not a good idea. Brakes are generally good if maintained properly but allow extra stopping room especially in wet conditions. The short wheel base does make for a squirrelly nature but I swapped ends with my Corvette in the rain at 35mph. Be prepared for anything. Good tires, good brakes, defensive careful driving and yes, they are safe.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Only as safe as your thinking and ability to acquire knowledge and apply it. Most “accidents” occur due to a lapse in reasoning at some point leading up to or during the event. The reality is that, if carefully scrutinized, most accidents aren’t really accidents at all. An off-road vehicle has different characteristics than a low profile vehicle and adjustments to driver technique is required.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Machines are mindless therefore their safety is nothing more than a reflection of the intelligence of their operator. I once witnessed a girl plow into the rear of a stopped lifted 3/4 ton truck at 40 to 50 mph. She promptly jumped out with her phone in hand and proceeded to bitch at the driver of the truck. Nobody seemed to be hurt. You tell me what the intelligence level of the jeep driver was in that case. Could either she or her Jeep be considered safe? After all, she wasn't injured. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
The YJ in my avatar had a rough life. It was hit twice in the front end by people running stop signs. Those hits would have totaled most vehicles, but the full box frame kept me safe. Drive a Jeep like a Jeep and not like a sports car, and it will keep you safer than most vehicles on the road with a unibody.

Reactions: 1740899

·
Registered
856 Posts
No they are not and if you don't know how to drive one it might kill you. Lots of maintenance as well. Creeks, snaps, pops lots of noises and they are generally a noisy vehicle. Easy roll over and check into death wobble.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Why do you ask this silly question? Seriously.

Are Jeeps (particularly Wranglers) safe vehicles? Thoughts? Your experiences? Appreciate any input! :)

Reactions: Luckymac

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
When new they pass the current safety measures provided by the government. Does that count? Would they win safety awards like other brands do? No they would not. Obviously the newer they are the more safety standards they need to meet so the newer they are the "safer" they are.

Reactions: 1740899

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,560 Posts
Probably more important is what you are not asking. Safe, how?

Safety record?
NHTSA crash testing data?
Experiences of those who have been in accidents?
What prompted you to come onto a message board for Wranglers and ask about safety?

The question you asked is pretty vague, so knowing what specifically you are asking would probably reduce the amount of goofy answers above.

·
Premium Member
2014 JKUR
153 Posts
A bit more context is needed here in order to intelligently and sincerely answer the question. This is like asking if scissors are safe......

·
Registered
435 Posts
I assume you were asking this because you were considering buying one and someone told you they are not safe and that you should avoid them.

They are safe enough that it isn’t an issue.
They are certainly safer than most subcompact’s cars on the road. They are not as safe as a Subaru.

Since they are tall on fairly tall tires, You cannot drive them as quickly as you can a car.

If safety is your primary concern and you want a jeep I suggest the following

1. Avoid any modified Jeep’s. They are less safe on road and you do not know the quality of the modifications
2. Avoid Rubicon’s and Willys’. Their mud terrain tires are prone to hydroplaning, and dont handle as well on road
3. find one with the optional side curtain airbags. This might limit you to more recent years (2016+). The doors on the Jeep are not reinforced like most cars, so this option adds protection
4. Get one with a hardtop. The soft top cannot be locked Completely and eventually someone will crawl through your Jeep looking for change.
5. If a soft top is one of your requirements, get a tuffy trunk enclosure for valuables.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Are knives safe? How about guns, explosives, flammable liquids, etc. etc. etc.? In my hands they are completely safe but I've never asked such a question.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I suppose it's all relative.

My wife and I bought a YJ new in 1991 (no ABS, no power steering). We drove it from California up into Washington, up and around the Sierras on snow covered, wet or even sometimes submerged roads, and several trips from Florida to Pennsylvania, Illinois and Tennessee. Wheelbase and handling stability were never a problem in the 190K miles we put on it with it's stock suspension, wheels and tire size.

The only accident we had in 16 years of owning it was when a Honda Accord ran a red light in it's path and got t-boned at about 40mph. The Accord was hit in the rear quarter driver's side, caving it in and knocking the passenger side rear wheel off. The Accord was totaled, no one injured. Thankfuly no one was in the back of the Accord. The Jeep took some damage...

The left end of the Jeep's front bumper was bent, which a neighbor who was an ironworker was able to straighten in a hydraulic press. The driver's side fender was bent a little too, but it was so minor we bent it back with our bare hands. The insurance adjuster said he felt bad telling us the value of the damage was less than our deductable. I can't imagine that the addition of airbags, ABS, traction control and other safety features has made the newer Wranglers less safe since then.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Are they safe? OHHHH HELLL NOOOO!!

Mine has scared the shit out of me so many times I can't remember.

And to add to you decision woes about wether to buy 1 or not you WILL be required to wave at all other Jeeps. If you don't then as stated above a Subaru or Volvo might be a better choice.

Reactions: zgfiredude
1 - 20 of 26 Posts