Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's amazing that they've been out for about a decade.
Just wondering if they are still one of the top tires compared to all of the new offerings in the last few years.

Feel free to comment your thoughts on how any of the newer stuff compares, the Maxxis Razr, Milestar Patagonia, Nexen Roadian MTX , MT Baja MTZ P3,...etc.....

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
They've been out for more than a decade. I remember having a set in the mid 2000's for a little while.

They are still a good tire... if you can get them to balance properly. A lot of people have trouble getting them to balance well enough to drive on the highway. That's the only reason I am not going to get them as my next tires. I drive to the trails on the freeway and I don't want to be shaking the whole trip.

As far as whether there are better tires, that's a hard question to answer. I haven't run any of the tires you mention. And the last set of MT/Rs I had were the first gen tread pattern.

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
I wheeled with a guy in Moab that had a set and they were impressive as heck in moab on the wet slick rock. Things absolutely stuck like glue.

·
Administrator
12,512 Posts
I had the MTR kevlar on my Xj in a 35's that I recently sold. No issues with that tire. Did fine on trail. Rocks, mud etc.. had several good size cuts in the side walls, but they keep working just fine. Due to the harder tread compound i did see few outter lugs that chipped sections off.

As a comparison I currently run Milestar Patagonia MT on the JKU.. Softer compound so wear faster than the MTR, but off road I can't say I notice much of a difference performance wise. I would think the sidewalls on the MTR are better, but with the less cost of the milestars I think its fair trade off.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I wheeled with a guy in Moab that had a set and they were impressive as heck in moab on the wet slick rock. Things absolutely stuck like glue.
Wow, had the exact opposite experience in Moab... The only guy stuck in the easy hot tub on Hells revenge was on like new MT/R's. He was just spinning all 4 on the climb out. Took about 7 attempts to get out. I went in with my much smaller S/T Maxx and had not once ounce of tire spin.

Plus they often balance poorly, I wouldn't run them.

Reactions: Digger70

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
Wow, had the exact opposite experience in Moab... The only guy stuck in the easy hot tub on Hells revenge was on like new MT/R's. He was just spinning all 4 on the climb out. Took about 7 attempts to get out. I went in with my much smaller S/T Maxx and had not once ounce of tire spin.

Plus they often balance poorly, I wouldn't run them.
The guy I was wheeling with had an open front locker and stock LSD rear he went right up the steep climb that was wet that is right before the car wash (which is the name of the easy hot tube) and Dan Mick and his son took several tries and Dan Mick was running 40's. (crazy thing is every single year we run into Dan Mick in the same place at the car wash). any way I was impressed with how they stuck. the guy ended up doing Poison Spider and Kane Creek with us and never had a any issues at all. I had a video of him somewhere but can not find it. this is on Kane creek.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts