Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread title basically says it all. Or has anyone heard anything about goodyear possibly making a 37" duratrac?? Thanks !!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I would like an AT Tire. I have the 315 duratracs and really like them but I would eventually like to move to 37s. They get a lot of snow where I work and I have a fairly long drive so I would like something very comparable to the goodyears. Just thinking for later down the road lol

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Be more specific...are you talking about offroad snow or on-the-road snow? Huge difference.

*Edit* just noticed your other post about the commute. You definitely want siping if you are driving on the road. The Duratracs are incredible in the snow. Generally speaking, MTs lugs have a different compound so if you sipe they they tend to rip themselves apart on the road. I don't know what options there are for 37s, but I would look for a tire with a snowflake symbol. I would also say that my personal opinion is that the Duratracs are the best all around (key word there) Jeep tire. They do everything very well. Sure other tires do specific things a bit better, but the Duratracs feel at home everywhere. I have taken mine through mud, snow, dirt, rock, and ice, and have been blown away every single time.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Duratracs rock except the size offering and the sidewalls. There aren't a ton of good large AT tires... Not really a market. KM2 might be decent in snow, I have no experience though. Iroks are the best for snow wheeling. I siped my MTRs by hand and it seemed to improve snow performance. They aren't bad.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be more specific...are you talking about offroad snow or on-the-road snow? Huge difference.

*Edit* just noticed your other post about the commute. You definitely want siping if you are driving on the road. The Duratracs are incredible in the snow. Generally speaking, MTs lugs have a different compound so if you sipe they they tend to rip themselves apart on the road. I don't know what options there are for 37s, but I would look for a tire with a snowflake symbol. I would also say that my personal opinion is that the Duratracs are the best all around (key word there) Jeep tire. They do everything very well. Sure other tires do specific things a bit better, but the Duratracs feel at home everywhere. I have taken mine through mud, snow, dirt, rock, and ice, and have been blown away every single time.
Yea mostly on road because the jeep is my daily driver but I do go off roading as well. If duratrac ever makes a tire bigger than the 315 I would be first in line to purchase!!

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Just noticed you are in NJ (my neck of the woods.) You sure you want to run 37s? There is nothing within a 600 miles radius of NJ that has decent wheeling and your right is most likely a 95% road rig...I would say 315s. I have 33s now, but will upgrade to 315s sometime at the end of the year. As much as I love the look of 37s or even 40s, my practical side tells me that it's a dumb move and will be a con much more often than a pro.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Just noticed you are in NJ (my neck of the woods.) You sure you want to run 37s? There is nothing within a 600 miles radius of NJ that has decent wheeling and your right is most likely a 95% road rig...I would say 315s. I have 33s now, but will upgrade to 315s sometime at the end of the year. As much as I love the look of 37s or even 40s, my practical side tells me that it's a dumb move and will be a con much more often than a pro.

The voice of reason is strong with this one.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
The voice of reason is strong with this one.
Yup. Trust me, I wan't to roll around on 40s as well, but I have been in the modding world for way too long and know the result...you'll show the big tires off to your friends for 2 weeks, and then reality will set in. They are rough, uncomfortable, you can't park in multilevel parking facilities, you'll burn gas like no tomorrow, your ride will suck, etc. I've been through this with my sports cars when going from a a normal clutch to a puck, when upping the boost, putting race suspension on a road vehicle, etc.

Sometimes you have to make the right call. The wrong call will make you hate your rig.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Rausch Creek is less than 100 miles from the PA/NJ border. But I get your point.
I know, but I meant real wheeling you can do every weekend, like if you lived in CA, UT, CO, etc. Rausch is fun for a day or two, but that's it. It's an offroad park, not even close to wheeling through millions of acres of awesomeness. :thumb:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was going to 37s as well but I talked myself out of it. With lift, tires, wheels, regear, rear locker, d30 truss and gusset and procal I was looking at 7000$... For a vehicle I don't even own my responsible side said no way. That's only half of the mods I needed eventually I would need ball joints, axle shafts maybe my d30 pinion would blow so might want a whole new axle, drag link flip, driveshafts the list goes on. Sure you don't need all that to run 37s some people buy the cheapest lift they can find and slap 37s on and call it a day but I like to do things right and it's my DD so why ruin it. Don't let me scare you though if you really want them and have the finances to do so giver! They will look awesome for sure :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yea this is probably exactly right. I had free time at work and my mind ran away because im staring at the jeep out the window :rofl: :hide:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yea this is probably exactly right. I had free time at work and my mind ran away because im staring at the jeep out the window :rofl: :hide:
Staying with 35's makes the process a whole lot simpler. Besides, with 35's you can get Duratracs.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I'm doing 37s.... on a TJ.... It's a lot of money.... and even more time. Not for the faint of heart. That said I am looking at Pitbull Rocker Radials or Blue Label Krawlers for tires.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I bug the guys at the local goodyear store every time im in there about 37" duratracs. They keep saying they think theyll eventually make them but no official word on anything yet. I hope they do because I love the duratracs too, but if they dont ill be switching to MTR's when I go 37.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Honestly I went from duratrac to MTR and for a DD it's really not that awesome of a swap. I did however sipe them and that made a big difference, but now the lugs are much more likely to chuck on the rocks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts