Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Jeep Wrangler sahara unlimited in 2016. Presently I have 43k on it. I have a 2" lift and 18x9 265/70R 18 BFG KO2 tires. Although I get my vehicle serviced regularly, I required new brakes in 2019 at only 24k which I was told is fairly common. I do live an elevated area and travel up/down the mountain (paved roads) for 17 miles every other day. I just brought my vehicle in for an oil change and a squeaky brake pedal (I've had for at least 3 years) and was told I need front and rear brakes again. Is this common. I only put on 18,945 miles since the last brake job. My question is ..... do I need better brake pads? I can't keep paying 1200$ every 20k for new breaks. I am not sure why they are not picking up the wear of the brake pads during my oil changes. But I read somewhere that a lift and bigger tires require tougher brake pads. Any info would be apreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
You may need new brake pads, I would look at them and see how worn they are. I would never take the word of a quicklube shop on that. It is easy enough to look for yourself.
JK Wranglers do wear the rear pads faster, that is a known trait. But exactly why is a matter of debate. Whatever the reason, they do tend to wear out rear pads first.
You can upgrade the brakes, there are several options there. You can just install better pads, you can upgrade to larger rotors which will increase braking performance a lot, or you can even upgrade to a rotor / caliper combo that replaces pretty much everything in the stock system.
We have the larger rotors, from Dynatrac. I don't know if they make the brake pads last longer, but it sure did improve braking performance.

On a side note, $1200 is crazy money to replace the stock brakes with stock grade (or worse than stock grade) brake pads and rotors. For that much money you could buy an upgrade kit with larger rotors and new pads.

Bigger tires do increase the load on the brakes, but it should not be that extreme. We run much larger tires than you do and get way more mileage out of our upgraded brakes.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,988 Posts
I agree with Guzzi.....for 1100 you can get the whole dynatrac big brake kit....much better option than stock replacements....

Reactions: SteedGun

·
Registered
38 Posts
That’s a great reply above mine. I’ll just add that I’m running 35” tires on my 2 door and changed the rotors and pads to Raybestos Element3. Stopping performance is much improved over stock, but I can’t vouch for the longevity. They were very affordable though, so even changing pads every 20k miles would be cheap, assuming you do it yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may need new brake pads, I would look at them and see how worn they are. I would never take the word of a quicklube shop on that. It is easy enough to look for yourself.
JK Wranglers do wear the rear pads faster, that is a known trait. But exactly why is a matter of debate. Whatever the reason, they do tend to wear out rear pads first.
You can upgrade the brakes, there are several options there. You can just install better pads, you can upgrade to larger rotors which will increase braking performance a lot, or you can even upgrade to a rotor / caliper combo that replaces pretty much everything in the stock system.
We have the larger rotors, from Dynatrac. I don't know if they make the brake pads last longer, but it sure did improve braking performance.

On a side note, $1200 is crazy money to replace the stock brakes with stock grade (or worse than stock grade) brake pads and rotors. For that much money you could buy an upgrade kit with larger rotors and new pads.

Bigger tires do increase the load on the brakes, but it should not be that extreme. We run much larger tires than you do and get way more mileage out of our upgraded brakes.
I've always taken my Jeep to Bertera Jeep where I bought it. I know its a rip off but I paid a pretty penny and we don't have a lot of jeep repair shops in my area..... The 1200 is for front, rear brakes and pads..... They are telling me the brake pads are worn to 3mm..... ALREADY? BUT WHY? only after 18k new brakes again... UGH.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always taken my Jeep to Bertera Jeep where I bought it. I know its a rip off but I paid a pretty penny and we don't have a lot of jeep repair shops in my area..... The 1200 is for front, rear brakes and pads..... They are telling me the brake pads are worn to 3mm..... ALREADY? BUT WHY? only after 18k new brakes again... UGH.
And I am a girl so no I don't do it myself..... I'm sure I can easily be taken advantage of...... SUX!

·
Registered
38 Posts
And I am a girl so no I don't do it myself..... I'm sure I can easily be taken advantage of...... SUX!
I have 3 daughters and understand where you’re coming from, but with just a few basic tools changing pads is very, very easy. There are numerous YouTube videos or we could walk you through it here. You can buy all 4 wheels new pads for about $60, then it’ll take maybe an hour or two to change them out.

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Go to the local/state section, find your state and post for help in recommendations and selecting a good shop in your area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 3 daughters and understand where you’re coming from, but with just a few basic tools changing pads is very, very easy. There are numerous YouTube videos or we could walk you through it here. You can all 4 new pads for about $60, then it’ll take maybe an hour or two to change them out.
I am told I need new brakes again..... not even the pads.... My question is why at 18k I am burning through the pads..... the ones Bertera supplied me. They have no answer just telling me its my driving...... Well then why for the first 3 years and 24k no issues? I am driving less since covid hit

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I need a local shop near me that focuses on JEEP
..... Anyone know of any shop in Western Ma or near Albany NY?

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU 3.6 Backcountry
326 Posts
Well being of whatever gender does not mean one is unable to do maintenance x on a vehicle. Now, one might not want to do it, but boy/girl/man/woman/whatever, don't make one more or less capable of fixing cars 😉

You can do it, but it's totally ok if you don't want to.

As for the wearing: living on montaneous area and daily driving your Jeep, I'd say getting ~20k out of brakes is totally normal.

·
Registered
2015 Anvil JKUR Hard Rock.
428 Posts
Yes I need a local shop near me that focuses on JEEP
..... Anyone know of any shop in Western Ma or near Albany NY?
Wish I was closer I would help. But Wisconsin is a drive. But I bet gas and parts would be cheaper than there brake job cost. Hope someone close will chime in and help you. It really is not hard. And I hate how much dealerships get for a really simple job. Good luck

·
Registered
‘21 JLUR, AEV 2.5 DualSport, 35x12.5x20 BFGoodrich M/T KM3, 20x10(-19mm) Wheels
199 Posts
Unfortunately you’re being taken for a ride at $1200 for brake pads. It’s quite a simple process to change pads yourself (especially with the help of very good YouTube videos out there!). I’d suggest asking one of your friends that might help you out the first time and tackle it yourself. After the first time doing it yourself you’ll be like, “dang…that was too easy and those darn scoundrels taking advantage of me…how dare them!”

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Brake pads at 20k means you are probably riding the brakes when you should be using your gears. Still, that is a very high bill for new brake pads. Completely new brakes? $1,100? That I would have to see as the pads are what wear out unless you have warped the rotors as well.

I installed the Dynatrac big brake kit on my 2014 and it was just terrific.

If your Sahara is an auto transmission you might want to learn how to use the gears in braking. It is not hard. Before I launch into that discussion are you braking with gears on those mountain roads?

·
Registered
291 Posts
$1200 for F/R brakes (P&L)??!! Yikes!
That is a lot of money for labor because the brake pads and rotors do not cost too much:

I'd recommend going to another repair shop if you're not doing the brake change yourself.

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
My wife could do it herself, she used to do that sort of stuff herself until I came along.
If they are using stock parts the brakes should last just as long. If they use cheaper aftermarket parts it is not uncommon for the brakes to wear out sooner.
I would think you could find a fellow Jeeper to help you install a set of the Dynatrac brakes.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Any mechanic shop that do brakes will be able to change rotors and pads for you and shouldn't cost you $1200. Check Yelp for local mechanic shops reviews. It doens't have to be a Jeep dealer, they'll charge you more on labor and original parts are costly.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have to agree with the others. Sounds like someone is trying to take advantage of you. Very sad.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts