Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at getting some 1.5" wheel spacers for my 07 Rubicon. Is it safe to run these things.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I would much rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I don't like them. they are safe but require attention. you need to watch them to make sure nothing loosens up on you.

if you don't mind checking them every 1000 miles or so go for it. I'm lazy and just picked up new wheels instead.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Lots of people have used them for lots of years and lots of miles.

But I wouldn't.

Why add a measure of additional mechanical complexity, weight, and failure points to an area that's already a very dynamic point? Unsprung weight is always a consideration to any vehicle, especially one so frequently in the same sentence as "death wobble".

Aftermarket wheels don't cost all that much; and tires for them are usually less expensive if you pick the right size.

I ditched my stock 18" wheels in favor of these 16" alloys. I'm enjoying my 33s that only cost 60% as much; the wheels payed for themselves at the first tire purchase.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Aftermarket wheels don't cost all that much; and tires for them are usually less expensive if you pick the right size.

I ditched my stock 18" wheels in favor of these 16" alloys. I'm enjoying my 33s that only cost 60% as much; the wheels payed for themselves at the first tire purchase.
x2

that was my primary motivation to change my stock 16's to a 15" wheel.

hilldweller is 100% correct too. the wheels buy themselves the 1st tire purchase.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Its gonna be a 50-50 answer with wheel spacers. Some people dont like them, some people will. I have a set of spidertrax on my JK. I did some good searching about them through forums and found that ALOT of people are running them as a cheaper alternative to shelling out for new wheels. My main reason for the spacer purchase is because Im not ready to buy new tires or wheels. And i personally like the 17" wheels that are on the Rubicon. If and when I buy new wheels and tires I'm gonna stick with the 17" diameter.

Wheel spacers manufactured from a trusted company like spidertrax (not Rough Country or other imitators) $200

Building a jeep on a budget is a easy thing to do but make sure your also useing quality stuff at the same time.

·
Registered
439 Posts
x2

that was my primary motivation to change my stock 16's to a 15" wheel.

hilldweller is 100% correct too. the wheels buy themselves the 1st tire purchase.
not all 15s will fit over the brake calipers on JKs.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I have heard that they are outlawed in some states. So I would say no...they are not safe. I personally would not by them I would purchase new wheels with the proper spacing. Of course, I plan on keeping my jeep a looooooong time. Doing it right the first time seem logical to me. Seems a better selling point as well if you weren't keeping very long.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Like mentioned I too like the 17" rims, and I like the look of the stock wheels. I was just hoping to find a less expensive(but safe) alternative to kicking out the wheels and tires a little bit. I have been looking at the Spidertrax, they seem like a good possibility. I am not ready for new tires yet, but when I am I want to go one size bigger and I thought this would help out a little for some additional clearance also.

Thanks

·
Abe Froman
3,780 Posts
I will have to disagree with those who say not to use them. It is a personal preference, just go with a high quality ones like the Spidertrax or you may have DW problems. IF put on the vehicle properly you will not have a problem. Just use thread locker on them. I would normally use the red thread locker, but wheel spacers are actually illegal in Utah so I need to remove them once a year for inspection. Spacers are fine just install them properly.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I will have to disagree with those who say not to use them. It is a personal preference, just go with a high quality ones like the Spidertrax or you may have DW problems. IF put on the vehicle properly you will not have a problem. Just use thread locker on them. I would normally use the red thread locker, but wheel spacers are actually illegal in Utah so I need to remove them once a year for inspection. Spacers are fine just install them properly.
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING. They are illegal in your state and you flaunt the law and use them anyways. Your state probably made them illegal because of accidents caused by them. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE NOT SAFE. I'll be staying away from them.

You yourself state right in your post that you need to use thread locker. Then of course comes taking them off for whatever reason. And putting them back on. Then the need for checking them to make sure they are OK. New wheels with the right spacing seems a lot safer.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Lots of JKs are running them, actually more than you would think.
Install spacers using the supplied lock-tite. Torque to 90ft lbs. Check torque after 500 miles then again at every tire rotation which is supposed to be every 3000 miles. If you cant take the time to check on your spacers now and then to make sure they are tight and functioning properly then you shouldnt own a vehicle with modifications done to it. Every modification done is gonna need some sort of checking/or maintenance to keep it working properly or safe. That doesnt make them unsafe...that makes then safe...the fact that they are being properly maintained.
People have been running spidertrax and teraflex spacer for thousands of miles on road with no problems or safety issues.
Again like I said earlier a topic like this will get mixed responses.
Spidertrax and teraflex are "hubcentric" unlike the inferior rough country spacers which are "lug centric".

·
Registered
49 Posts
KBR is right, like any aftermarket mod they are plenty safe, as long as you are careful.

"Your state probably made them illegal because of accidents caused by them. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE NOT SAFE."

Is that based on anything other then your opinion?

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
KBR is right, like any aftermarket mod they are plenty safe, as long as you are careful.

"Your state probably made them illegal because of accidents caused by them. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE NOT SAFE."

Uh, that kind of sounds like a fact to me, but THAT is my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts

Do states usually make modifications illegal to modify market conditions for competing products?

Just a thought. Usually in my book one plus one adds up to two. It is not difficult to conclude the reason on this one. Certainly I could be wrong. But I doubt it.

Any modification that as a result of it you have to constantly check it or your wheel could fall off gives reason for concern....I think they call that common sense. My own learning on this one would result in me never having this particular modification on my jeep.

By the way in a state where they are illegal if you somehow get around the law and then have an accident with them on the vehicle that causes death, in most courts that will be proof enough for a finding of negligence. Civil awards for negligence survive bankruptcies. Now, I don't have much but I sure don't want someone attaching my wages until an award like that is paid off. It is what keeps me from doing foolish things like intentionally violating the law. Usually having no knowledge of the law doesn't exempt one from the law. That would be for a jury to decide. I'm not a lawyer but this isn't rocket science either.

The OP wanted to know if they are safe. My advice would be to buy a wheel with the proper backspacing. That is safe. If the wheel fails, the manufacturer can defend their product in court. At least you won't have to be concerned about your liability in the case.

If you buy the spacers which folks are clearly saying here requires maintenance and you fail to do the maintenance, that creates a problem in an accident. I don't know about you but when it comes to regular maintenance items, sometimes life has a way of getting in the way of them. Years go by after you put the thing on the jeep, you have checked it over a hundred times and then begin leaving it off of the list of things to check somehow. That is usually how these things get into the problem safety area. This might not even be noticed in a state inspection of the vehicle. Especially in a state where they have not been made illegal yet.

Just some thoughts on safety as the OP lead off with that concern.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
If you buy the spacers which folks are clearly saying here requires maintenance and you fail to do the maintenance, that creates a problem in an accident. I don't know about you but when it comes to regular maintenance items, sometimes life has a way of getting in the way of them. Years go by after you put the thing on the jeep, you have checked it over a hundred times and then begin leaving it off of the list of things to check somehow. That is usually how these things get into the problem safety area. This might not even be noticed in a state inspection of the vehicle. Especially in a state where they have not been made illegal yet.

Just some thoughts on safety as the OP lead off with that concern.
Ill agree with you on that...If your not gonna check them as per the installation instruction then there not for you. Dont let them fall by the wayside and assume that they are properly torqued because your wheel hasnt fallen of yet. That could eventually end in a bad situation....which is probably why they are outlawed in some areas.

·
Registered
439 Posts
forgive me if this seems like a stupid question, but aren't the spacers held on by the same type of lugnuts that would be holding on the wheel if there were no spacer?

Most people never check their lugs or rotate their tires, and yet they don't fall off all the time. Why would a spacer?

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
forgive me if this seems like a stupid question, but aren't the spacers held on by the same type of lugnuts that would be holding on the wheel if there were no spacer?

Most people never check their lugs or rotate their tires, and yet they don't fall off all the time. Why would a spacer?
This is what they look like.

Notice that they bolt on and provide a separate set of lug bolts to bolt the wheel on. This adds mechanical complexity. Folks who use them have stated here that in the instructions it says that the tightness of the bolts have to be checked regularly. Not checking them can result in your wheel coming off while in motion. Doesn't sound safe to me. They are outlawed in some states. My earlier search on google says they are outlawed in my home state of Massachusetts. That is good for me because if I were considering a set, that would keep me from using them. Anyway, hope this has cleared up the dangers of using this product.

·
Registered
439 Posts
This is what they look like.

Notice that they bolt on and provide a separate set of lug bolts to bolt the wheel on. This adds mechanical complexity. Folks who use them have stated here that in the instructions it says that the tightness of the bolts have to be checked regularly. Not checking them can result in your wheel coming off while in motion. Doesn't sound safe to me. They are outlawed in some states. My earlier search on google says they are outlawed in my home state of Massachusetts. That is good for me because if I were considering a set, that would keep me from using them. Anyway, hope this has cleared up the dangers of using this product.

From a strictly mechanical standpoint, there is no complexity. The stress and torsional forces on the lugs holding on a 1.5 inch spacer with a 3in back space wheel, will be exactly the same as the forces holding on a wheel with 4.5in back spacing and no spacer. The lugs holding the 3in back space wheel to the spacer will be the exact same as if it there were no spacer. The forces from one set of lugs does not effect the other.

So can anyone show me some actual statistics that verify that spacers come loose regularly? Has anyone here that uses spacers ever had one come loose?
Does anyone have the actual information as to when and why they were made illegal in MA.

And just because it is a law doesn't mean it is right or makes sense. Just a couple of years ago the feds outlawed anything produced for children under 12 that had over a certain amount of lead in it. So all minibikes and mini ATVs designed for those 12 and under have been outlawed, because of the lead acid batteries use to start them. Not like the kid is going to lick the battery, and kids shouldn't be operating these vehicles unsupervised anyway.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts