Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Are windshield hinge bolts made of butter?

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Bruck 
#1 ·
I got all but one loosened....the very last one decided to turn to butter!! I barely put any pressure on it as I was trying to loosen it, but it still stripped out. I immediately put my tools up, and decided to deal with it later and not make it any worse.
So, is the answer still the same as far as getting this out? (i searched for posts) Drill it out? What size bit? Easy out? What size?
Thanks for the help!!!

#5 ·
After reading the posts on this issue over time, I would use an impact driver to loosen the screws. It's a cylinder you hold like a chisel with whatever bit you need inserted in one end and you wack it with a hammer like a chisel and the bit turns breaking the screw loose. You get the best of both, pressure on the screw while turning and no strip. I may be wrong on the name of the tool but it has gotten many a screw loose without stripping.

#9 ·
By stripped out you mean the Torx hole rounded out and the driver tool rounded?

Put a dab of rubbing compound on the tool's tip. It helps grab the bolt and prevents it from slipping/rounding.

#10 ·
The head of the bolt rounded out on me. But as I previously stated....I only tried it a couple times before quitting, so not to round it out too much worse that it became. My #40 torx tool is fine.
It's also the bolt that's in the front and on the passenger side, not one that's on the side, so it's kinda hard to get leverage. My dang radio antena was a real distraction too. LOL
I'll try the rubbing compound...I think I have some.

#11 ·
Hand Impact Driver

How can we get Chrysler to put one of these in every wranglers glove box. Running out to get one for my tool box.

#15 ·
i recently just got out all but 1 ( 1 stinkin bolt!!!) of the four windshield hinge bolts for the mirror relocation brackets. right now i am letting the bolt soak with PB blaster over night and then taking my Grabit set to it in the morning...praying to god it will work. cant really think of anything else to do for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.