Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

681 - 700 of 712 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi all. So I purchased a TJ in a box so to speak. The guy I got it from started a complete frame off resto. He put a ford 8.8 in it but it has drum brakes. Is that a bad thing? I have not picked it up yet as it is in a barn and I have to wait for the snow to melt to get a trailer to it.
...Not necessarily. Stock TJs came with drum brakes. The guy just got an older 8.8. You could convert it to discs if you want or pick up another 8.8 with them. Used 8.8s are relatively inexpensive.

One thing to note, though, is make sure the gearing is the same as the front.

I noticed in the pic that it is a right-side driver. Interesting. It will be a cool project. What engine are you putting in it?
My TJ is also down to the frame right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One thing to note, though, is make sure the gearing is the same as the front.

I noticed in the pic that it is a right-side driver. Interesting. It will be a cool project. What engine are you putting in it?
My TJ is also down to the frame right now.
I do plan on checking the gears. I am told they both are 3.73s so most likely will have to upgrade to 4.88 or 5.13 as it has an auto trans and I plan on running minimum 33s most likely 35s, and if I do that lockers and upgraded axle shafts will be installed at the same time.

Yes it is RHD. The title from 2015 says mileage was 225k so thinking of picking up a stock 4.0 from a local salvage yard. They have several ranging from 56k for $1320 to 145k for $971. Would love to put a stroker in just not in the budget. The transmission is currently being rebuilt.

He also completely sealed the frame. I don't know if thats a good or bad thing. I guess time will tell.

BTW does anyone know what CNS stands for?
A couple of the listings at the salvage yard say "CNS - Oil Pan 4.0L (vin s 8th digit)" and 2nd one says "9/04 CNS" .. both are 2005 engines. I was thinking "could not start" but 1 of the other listings says "NOSTART"

·
Registered
795 Posts
Got my 8.8 in and looking for new rims. I am looking at the American Racing AR23 15", with 3.75 BS. How can I be sure they will clear my calipers? The sport track that I got my 8.8 from only came with 16" rims.

John

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Detroit locker or Trutrac ?

Bought a set of axle assy. D30, D35 w/ 4.88 gears and 4340 chromoly shafts. lunchbox locker front w/ 27 spline axle. rear could be 27 or 30 spline don't know . guys said it had a detroit in rear but was unsure of style. he also bought used ran for 2 years now their mine.
My question is I have had the rear cover of and to me it looks like a Detroit locker not a TrueTrac just by looking at pics online.
I have them sitting on milk crates in shop when i spin the rear axle shafts forward both of them turn together locked with no give at all. the only time they move separately is when you hold one side turn the other opposite backwards or forwards then it makes clicking sound when u release opposite side they lock back again ??? newbie to lockers !!!

·
Registered
795 Posts
I may actually get this thing figured out, thanks to a lot of help from you guys, thanks.

Here is what I have done and what remains.

Done:
Ford 8.8 is in (4.10 & LSD)
SYE is in
Tuned my rear control arms 0.5 degrees more in driveshaft than pinion
Replaced gears to 4.10
Spartan autolocker
Dana 30 HP in front
Transfer case drop eliminated, yes!

Still to go:
Tweak e brake
Pull diff covers inspect for warning signs
If ok, replace fluid and button up
New tires, maybe rims
Get sway bar bolts removed, they don't want to come out, heat is next.

All this work and she looks the same, but, she isn't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
I am running stock axles with my 8.8 on 33" tires. I have only wheeled it twice but no problems.

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Reason im asking is just curious if there is a need to upgrade the stock axles to an off the shelf brand like moser or something similar or if the stock axles are plenty fine.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My swap has been completed since the beginning of May with the exception of one thing that I have not been able to get to work. The parking brakes are kicking my butt. I purchased the cables that were recommended on page 1 of this post and I can't get them to work properly. When I slide the cables over the lever that goes through the backng plate, I can't get them to stay in position. They won't come off, but, the will slide towards the backing plate too far. I am wondering if the cut out that slides over the lever is different on the ford than on the Jeep.

Any input?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
795 Posts
See attached picture, been fighting this since installing the 8.8 in my Jeep. As you can see, the cable wants to slide down towards the backing plate. A couple of thoughts I have had...

1. The cable is off of a Cherokee and was recommended in this forum, can someone look at the cable on their 8.8 and tell me if the square hole that the actuator slides into is a better fit than mine?
  2. What is the purpose of the round hole in the actuator? I could slide cotter pin in there to hold it in place, is that a bad idea?
Let me know your thoughts, to me it looks like the square hole in the Cherokee cable is too big for the Ford actuator.

Thanks,John.

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Picked up a set of cables from East Coast Gear Supply and they fit a lot better. They are $60 for the pair, left and right are the same, wish the right one was a little shorter and the left one a little longer, but they work.

John

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone looking to do this conversion with a bracket kit I would advise against using East Coast Gear Supply's 8.8 TJ bracket kit. The directions are confusing, the tech support has required several hours of time just to tell us to "eyeball it" and grind off pieces of the bracket kit to make it fit. The tech I spoke with even said they don't like to give out directions because there's "a thousand different variables." I'm very dissatisfied with this product.

99 TJ
4" lift
33" tires
SYE

·
Registered
302 Posts
Anyone have issues with 15" steel Pro Comp wheels fitting around the calipers? Didn't find an answer elsewhere. Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone have issues with 15" steel Pro Comp wheels fitting around the calipers? Didn't find an answer elsewhere. Thanks!
I have 15" x 10" wide steel wheels with 3.75 backspace and have no clearance issues.
What you are mostly needing to worry about is the inner diameter. The Ford calipers don't seem to need much outside clearance beyond the mounting surface of the rotor.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I had a slight rub on the stockers, ran a 1.5" spacer until I got new wheels. Running Creager Soft 8s now without a spacer and no clearance issues.

·
Registered
302 Posts

So it finally came! The first thing I did was make sure it cleared the wheels and it does. A decent amount as well.

Let me throw out a quick question. So the track bar bracket they installed is adjustable. But it looks like even the lowest bolt is much higher than stock. Is there a reason for this?

IMG_0830.jpg

681 - 700 of 712 Posts