Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

701 - 712 of 712 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Found an ad on CL for a 31 spline with disc brakes from an explorer for $250 includes the e brake cables. Good buy, or average? I'm located in SoCal

·
Registered
65 Posts
For all of you that have done the 8.8 swap would you do it again? Been trying to decide if I should just regear and throw aftermarket shafts into my daughters TJ of spend a little more and put a 8.8 in it? Largest tire she will ever see is most likely 33". I am not interested in a Super 35 kit becasue there isn't any need for a selectable locker in her rig. I want to put a TruTrac in which ever axle I decide on. I've already got a HP30 housing sitting in the garage for her TJ. When she wants to do hard wheeling she goes with dad in his TJ.

What size tire were all of you running that broke your D35? Anyone running 1541 shafts in a D35 break? And what size tire?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
For all of you that have done the 8.8 swap would you do it again? Been trying to decide if I should just regear and throw aftermarket shafts into my daughters TJ of spend a little more and put a 8.8 in it? Largest tire she will ever see is most likely 33". I am not interested in a Super 35 kit becasue there isn't any need for a selectable locker in her rig. I want to put a TruTrac in which ever axle I decide on. I've already got a HP30 housing sitting in the garage for her TJ. When she wants to do hard wheeling she goes with dad in his TJ.

What size tire were all of you running that broke your D35? Anyone running 1541 shafts in a D35 break? And what size tire?
I ran 1541h shafts in my d35 2000 5 speed sahara, 33" km2's, steel 15x8 rims, 4.88 gears and a trutrac rear. No issues whatsoever. Ran that setup a year plus. Ran the prior 8 years on 31" 15x8 steelies 3.07 gears open/open stock shafts. All I ever replaced was a right rear axle seal.
I did not do hardcore rockclimbing. I did use it several times a month on NH class vi and Vermont class iv roads. Mud slick rocks, off camber gulleys from rain washouts, ledge climbs, and more than a few basketball plus size rock gardens. Never broke more than a swaybar link before I added discos. And never had any other weak ass d35 clad Jeep's break them on any runs I was on either.
For mild off road, and especially with trutrac and 1541h shafts, your present setup is more than worth keeping over the 8.8. Wouldnt recommend the 4.88's though if you want to drive it on the highway. Beast offroad, but real howly over 60.
Just my opinion and experience though. YMMV, and everyone knows a cousin's friend's aunt's neighbor's dogwalker's mailman broke their d35 putting a KitKat bar in the tailgate area, so you'll just have to take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
795 Posts
According to everything I have read, the 8.8 should hold 2.75 quarts of gear oil, + 4 oz friction modifier (with LSD). My pinion is tilted upwards to match up with the SYE DS, because of this it raises the fill hole, When I filled it for the install, I filled it while the axle was at 0 degrees.

With it tilted, how much gear oil do you guys put in, want to make sure the pinion is getting lubed up without over filling.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 8.8 axle from a 2009 Mustang Bullitt with 3.73 ratio sitting in my garage. I need it gone. Located near Shrewsbury, PA.

·
Registered
795 Posts
After putting in my 8.8 from an 05 SportTrack, I put my factory canyon rims on, all is good. Drove off and i hear grind/silence/grind etc. Pulled back in the driveway, pulled both rear rims and the pass side was rubbing on the caliper, only for 1/4 of the rotation. I had a small spacer on the driver side, 1/2" no rubbing. It was that close.

I assume the 2005 Explorer ran 16" rims.

I then put some steel soft 8s with no issues. I plan to go back to alloy 15s and I am worried about rubbing the calipers. If they rubbed just a little, would it be a bad idea to grind off a bit of the caliper?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
if your good enough to do this swap, your good enough to sensibly take some material off the caliper without affecting its strength. Sounds like you could possibly take a tiny amount from the rims where they are rubbing. Odds are they will flex enough under stress though to rub more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Brakes!

I have had this swap in for a while, and have posted this question before. My disc brakes on the 8.8 are barely doing anything. I recently had to replace my driveshaft and while it was on stands, I put it in gear, stood on the brakes and I could barely get the tires to stop rotating. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
there's like 3-4 of these things on FB marketplace last time i searched axles...........set up for TJ's. they come up within 100mi of cleveland oh.

701 - 712 of 712 Posts