Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i currently dont have a usb port in my armrest, i was wondering if i could buy the switch/port itself and try installing it myself in the car.
i already have the uconnect module in my car, i know you can connect a usb cable to it from the back but i dont want to run that cable out of the glove box.
im looking for a neat way of doing it like the usb/port switch that comes with some cars.

also im thinking of swapping my stock radio for the alpine i207-wra and will need that port to connect my phone for carplay

any ideas where i can buy it?

i have 2017 JK wrangler

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
your local dealer parts counter or the parts yard/junkyard

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,108 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
hello,

i currently dont have a usb port in my armrest, i was wondering if i could buy the switch/port itself and try installing it myself in the car.
i already have the uconnect module in my car, i know you can connect a usb cable to it from the back but i dont want to run that cable out of the glove box.
im looking for a neat way of doing it like the usb/port switch that comes with some cars.

also im thinking of swapping my stock radio for the alpine i207-wra and will need that port to connect my phone for carplay

any ideas where i can buy it?

i have 2017 JK wrangler
If you're referring to the center console, I purchased an HDMI/USB cable from Crutchfield that is made by Alpine

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cDwOoCJfu7t/p_500KCU315U/Alpine-KCU-315UH.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=179908927945&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=92873740465&awdv=c&awug=9021615&gclid=CjwKCAiA6vXwBRBKEiwAYE7iS4-D3MPGmmRCUaWgVjh1VHCjB4CCSUG1rOJ4TKTOTfedr4yCzDKvExoC4KgQAvD_BwE

and ran it to the center console mounting the outlet(s) to the small removable panel on the outside of the console right where the latch clicks in. Popped out the latch plate, cut the hole, ran the wire, popped the plate back in. It's attached to my i207-WRA. Works great.

#2 in the diagram:

Reactions: MeezoG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're referring to the center console, I purchased an HDMI/USB cable from Crutchfield that is made by Alpine

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-cDwOoCJfu7t/p_500KCU315U/Alpine-KCU-315UH.html?XVINQ=GLX&awkw=179908927945&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=92873740465&awdv=c&awug=9021615&gclid=CjwKCAiA6vXwBRBKEiwAYE7iS4-D3MPGmmRCUaWgVjh1VHCjB4CCSUG1rOJ4TKTOTfedr4yCzDKvExoC4KgQAvD_BwE

and ran it to the center console mounting the outlet(s) to the small removable panel on the outside of the console right where the latch clicks in. Popped out the latch plate, cut the hole, ran the wire, pooped the plate back in. It's attached to my i207-WRA. Works great.

#2 in the diagram:

wow you have no idea how long i was searching for this. i cant thank you enough my friend.

would it be too much to ask for some pics of your setup so i can better understand where exactly you mounted it ?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
wow you have no idea how long i was searching for this. i cant thank you enough my friend.

would it be too much to ask for some pics of your setup so i can better understand where exactly you mounted it ?
I can post a pic but it may be a while as my wife's been driving my Jeep lately.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

The wire kit was attached to the back of the radio after it was run from the console as I had to pull it thru the "mounting plate" 1st. I ran the wire from the console plate down into the console, out the driver side edge, under the seat (under the BedTred), along the door trim, up the kick plate trim to the gauge area and across to the radio.
"Mounting Plate"

That plate just pulls off w/ a trim tool. I drilled a hole 1st centered where I wanted to mount the plugs then used a Dremel Tool and file to make it "square" as the plug case is not round.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does thIS Alpine KCU-315UH port have same size as the factory usb port and does it have LED light like the factory one ? Do you need to enlarge or trim anything?

I didn't buy that one because of its 50$ price tag..

Also Trying to preserve the center console .. no drilling or cutting.

I took the console out when i did the head unit swap a month ago.. if i remember right The factory usb wire connect to somekind of blackbox .. behind the front 12v dash.. the factory usb wire won't allow data transfer if you go through that box. It can only be used to charge devices.

Are you by passing the black box? (Or Grey box)

Because i didn't want to loose the factory LED USB inside the console.. i kept everything as is.. So To avoid making a new hole i choose wireless carplay head unit

But i would like to use the factory console usb that has led with aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Does thIS Alpine KCU-315UH port have same size as the factory usb port and does it have LED light like the factory one ? Do you need to enlarge or trim anything?

I didn't buy that one because of its 50$ price tag..

Also Trying to preserve the center console .. no drilling or cutting.

I took the console out when i did the head unit swap a month ago.. if i remember right The factory usb wire connect to somekind of blackbox .. behind the front 12v dash.. the factory usb wire won't allow data transfer if you go through that box. It can only be used to charge devices.

Are you by passing the black box? (Or Grey box)

Because i didn't want to loose the factory LED USB inside the console.. i kept everything as is.. So To avoid making a new hole i choose wireless carplay head unit

But i would like to use the factory console usb that has led with aftermarket head unit.
The wiring kit from Alpine does not have an LED. It by passed Uconnect box. It has as standard USB and HDMI plugs and does transfer data as well as charge when radio is on.
I don’t know if it will fit inside the console but think not. I drilled- read above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts