Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am only one week into my wait for a new 2016 JKR and I am planning and collecting all of my build mods ahead of time. I'll be trussing and gusseting the front diff, adding axle tube seals and LCA skids too.

I will have the entire diff removed for all the grinding and welding and am thinking the best way to do it will be to remove the ball joints too.

Anything wrong with just reinstalling the original ball joints after all the welding?

What about a ball joint press tool? I am thinking about buying one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SGJ0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1UMBRA5ZTBCX8

Anyone have any experience with this particular press or a better one?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new set of Synergy BJs on the shelf now, I just didn't think the Synergys were necessarily better than the stock BJs?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
For what's it's worth- I took a welding class at a shop that used the artec gusset as a show piece. Looks great. They did mention that with all the heat it's common to distort the tubes to the point of having to use a press to bend the sucker back to straight. One housing was so bad, they had to toss it and buy the customer a new one. For all the work and costs why not just get a real dynatrac 44 if you end up bending/breaking the stock axle? The gusset can also limit up travel.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess the key will be go slow. Weld a little here and a little there, let it cool, then weld a little more.

I'm a little concerned about welding over the cast pumpkin. I've watched videos and talked to people, it sounds like it comes down to preheat and weld it, then control cooling time, or weld it very slowly and not let it get hot to begin with.

I don't have a real good preheat option, so I'm leaning toward welding very slowly and trying to to get the housing too hot. But hey, I don't get paid to weld, so I'm an way open to advice. :)

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
For what's it's worth- I took a welding class at a shop that used the artec gusset as a show piece. Looks great. They did mention that with all the heat it's common to distort the tubes to the point of having to use a press to bend the sucker back to straight. One housing was so bad, they had to toss it and buy the customer a new one. For all the work and costs why not just get a real dynatrac 44 if you end up bending/breaking the stock axle? The gusset can also limit up travel.
Someone would have to TRY to put enough heat while welding to cause that kind of distortion. Especially with the Artec style gussets/truss.

They wouldn't have to try as hard to distort with RK gussets because the heat input for both sides of each gusset is almost doubled (welding along one side of a single piece of steel, then along the other). Still isn't easy to distort.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone would have to TRY to put enough heat while welding to cause that kind of distortion. Especially with the Artec style gussets/truss.

They wouldn't have to try as hard to distort with RK gussets because the heat input for both sides of each gusset is almost doubled (welding along one side of a single piece of steel, then along the other). Still isn't easy to distort.
There's my man! dvn4life1972 has guided me to success before and this time I'm going all out!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can rent, for free, a ball joint press from any Auto Zone, or other auto parts chains.
Even if you aren't buying the parts from them?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Sounds like somebody drank the WAL kool aid (not you)

I had a rookie welder bang my truss out with zero issues. Weld small sections at a time and alternate sides. Yes, you dump a boat load of heat on one side s**t can happen i suppose.
Ive never personally seen or heard about somebody bending a axle welding on a truss.

Gusset limit up travel, Hows that possible ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts