Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Shakedown run results

So we ran the rig through a pretty tame shakedown run, and for the first time my Frankenstein suspension is almost acting the way i expect it to. I had no metal on metal suspension hits for the first time when i moved up to 35's and when i was on v1 (of 3) suspension builds. It appears that the combination of correct shock mount placement, alignment, and adjustment has now given me the ability to get closer to what this setup should offer. Further, the Teraflex Speedbumps in combination with the MetalCloak bumpstop replacement seem to be soaking up any hard hits that i take. I have some shock leakage and mangled one of the DSC connectors (different shocks of course) so am going to have buy a pair of burner shocks and send these back to Fox to get fixed, re-valved, then put them back on.

On the other side of the coin, I'm not all impressed with the Teraflex BBK more details here:

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/teraflex-delta-big-brake-upgrade-kit-2371469.html

overall - a solid 7/8 out of 10 on this build phase

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
So we ran the rig through a pretty tame shakedown run, and for the first time my Frankenstein suspension is almost acting the way i expect it to. I had no metal on metal suspension hits for the first time when i moved up to 35's and when i was on v1 (of 3) suspension builds. It appears that the combination of correct shock mount placement, alignment, and adjustment has now given me the ability to get closer to what this setup should offer. Further, the Teraflex Speedbumps in combination with the MetalCloak bumpstop replacement seem to be soaking up any hard hits that i take. I have some shock leakage and mangled one of the DSC connectors (different shocks of course) so am going to have buy a pair of burner shocks and send these back to Fox to get fixed, re-valved, then put them back on.

On the other side of the coin, I'm not all impressed with the Teraflex BBK more details here:

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/teraflex-delta-big-brake-upgrade-kit-2371469.html

overall - a solid 7/8 out of 10 on this build phase
Good reading about the updates. Let me know where you net out on the TeraFlex BBK, as I'm interested in this mod. I know TeraFlex recommends upgrading the master cylinder and brake booster. It sounds like you're running the stock booster?

-Steven

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Good reading about the updates. Let me know where you net out on the TeraFlex BBK, as I'm interested in this mod. I know TeraFlex recommends upgrading the master cylinder and brake booster. It sounds like you're running the stock booster?

-Steven

will do, interesting sidebar on that. i've seen two different theories on the upgrade. theory 1 - not needed on JK/JL, but rather all generations before jk as the jk has an "upgraded" cylinder already. theory 2 - upgrade for best performance to the mopar system.

This from TeraFlex:

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-jlu_jk-jku-delta-brake-kit-front-rear-5x5-bolt-pattern

Note(s):
• On JK/JKU models, we recommend upgrading the stock master cylinder and brake booster to the Mopar Master Cylinder & Brake Booster Kit (# P5160050). Contact your Mopar dealer for availability.

---

As i mentioned in the other post, my problem is that i have no real estate under the hood / in the cab to fit the Mopar kit in (we tried under hood and they had to put the OEM unit back in). Until i can figure out somewhere else to mount the ARB dual compressor - I'm stuck.

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
will do, interesting sidebar on that. i've seen two different theories on the upgrade. theory 1 - not needed on JK/JL, but rather all generations before jk as the jk has an "upgraded" cylinder already. theory 2 - upgrade for best performance to the mopar system.

This from TeraFlex:

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-jlu_jk-jku-delta-brake-kit-front-rear-5x5-bolt-pattern

Note(s):
• On JK/JKU models, we recommend upgrading the stock master cylinder and brake booster to the Mopar Master Cylinder & Brake Booster Kit (# P5160050). Contact your Mopar dealer for availability.

---

As i mentioned in the other post, my problem is that i have no real estate under the hood / in the cab to fit the Mopar kit in (we tried under hood and they had to put the OEM unit back in). Until i can figure out somewhere else to mount the ARB dual compressor - I'm stuck.
Here's where I put my compressor, as I am running the Mopar BBK(bigger master cylinder/booster).

https://grabarsusa.com/WD-Automotive/arb-compressor-twin-air-CKMTA12-bracket

I did a write-up on it in my Blog.

-Steven

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
Finally found my build thread, adding a bit more detail on latest developments.

The Teraflex BBK has been an adventure in money&time wasting - even by Jeep standards. Just took the rig back in this week to get the aftermarket cylinder / booster installed again (second time been down this road) as the OEM one just flat out wasnt cutting it. That required moving the ARB into the cab, but the shop put it under passenger seat - which now precludes the rear seat from folding down. This breaks the primary use case for the rig here in AZ - which is an AC dog limo. Now have to go back and have them move it again to the driver side so i can drop the passenger rear seat so dogs can lay on it - more $$$...

Also had another recurrence of death wobble and learned that i had finally killed the OEM steering stabilizer. Upgraded that unit to a Fox to stay consistent with the rest of the suspension. That then led to discovery that i need new ball joints, and that those were likely contributing to the wobble.

Currently debating which of those i should use here:

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Here's where I put my compressor, as I am running the Mopar BBK(bigger master cylinder/booster).

ARB Compressor Bracket

I did a write-up on it in my Blog.

-Steven
I ended up putting BBK in engine bay where the ARB was and moving the ARB into the cab under rear seat. due to the interior configuration the entire rear of the rig already is taken so the bracket you suggest (which looks really cool BTW) wouldn't work for me

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #128

This from TeraFlex:

TeraFlex - Delta Brake System (Front & Rear) – 5x5”

Note(s):

---

This from TeraFlex:

TeraFlex - Delta Brake System (Front & Rear) – 5x5”

Note(s):

---

to close on on this for any other brave souls looking to do this upgrade - IMO the aftermarket cylinder kit is a MUST HAVE and you should budget for it at time of purchase. to be honest, the condition of the TF BBK from time of install to now was precarious and dangerous as i actually went backwards on my braking ability after installing the kit. with the addition of the Mopar kit - I'm now getting what i expect from the TF BBK.

Hope this helps others from making my same mistake

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
I ended up putting BBK in engine bay where the ARB was and moving the ARB into the cab under rear seat. due to the interior configuration the entire rear of the rig already is taken so the bracket you suggest (which looks really cool BTW) wouldn't work for me
one other lesson learned the hard way here. if you want/need to fold your rear seats down, make sure you think about this before moving compressor into cab. once you put the ARB under the seats, it wont fold flat anymore. as we use the jeep 90% of the time as a dog limo, we usually fold the passenger rear seat down so one of the dogs can lay there with the other on the ARB drawer system in the rear. as the shop didn't follow directions and put it on the passenger side, i now have to get them to move it to the driver side now so we can fold the seats down again.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
So new BFG KM3's are sitting in garage and I'm hoping 4WP is finally going to ship my new TPMS sensors - both to be installed next week.

Contemplating this next:

·
Vendor
2,865 Posts
Steering assist is one of the best upgrades you can do.
I have the generation before the "big bore" and it works. Drive feel is amazing on and off-road.
But my one complaint is that the fittings and lines suck and leak. Tying to make it not leak is maddening to me.
Good luck!

So new BFG KM3's are sitting in garage and I'm hoping 4WP is finally going to ship my new TPMS sensors - both to be installed next week.

Contemplating this next:

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Steering assist is one of the best upgrades you can do.
I have the generation before the "big bore" and it works. Drive feel is amazing on and off-road.
But my one complaint is that the fittings and lines suck and leak. Tying to make it not leak is maddening to me.
Good luck!
Thanks Rancho, did you do the "sleeves" as suggested in the other thread or something else to address this?

·
Vendor
2,865 Posts
I did all new lines coming off the ram, no issues there. But my main leak (even though it is REALLY small) is coming off the PSC reservoir. That is a big fitting. I also carry spare lines, just in case I need them or someone else may need them. I had my local @Northridge4x4 make them for me.

Thanks Rancho, did you do the "sleeves" as suggested in the other thread or something else to address this?

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I did all new lines coming off the ram, no issues there. But my main leak (even though it is REALLY small) is coming off the PSC reservoir. That is a big fitting. I also carry spare lines, just in case I need them or someone else may need them. I had my local @Northridge4x4 make them for me.
I wonder what the odds are since this is their "new" kit that they addressed this and the sleeve issues? with my luck, probably not... :)

·
Vendor
2,865 Posts
I have been following your build and even though it is thought out and looks good, I see you run into a lot of the same "issues" I do. Called "do it over" LOL
For me the latest was a simple phone holder LOL

I wonder what the odds are since this is their "new" kit that they addressed this and the sleeve issues? with my luck, probably not... :)

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I have been following your build and even though it is thought out and looks good, I see you run into a lot of the same "issues" I do. Called "do it over" LOL
For me the latest was a simple phone holder LOL
Absolutely. I spent weeks, maybe months poring over the forum in 2016 while waiting for the rig to be built and thought i had a decent idea of what i wanted / needed. Like many things in life, my plan didn't survive contact with the enemy (i.e. reality). There have been several absolutely infuriating things that have drove me insane and pushed my willingness to invest, re-invest, and re-invest again - the brakes being the most recent.

Over the lifespan of the build things i wouldn't change - even if i could:
-RH cage
-RH skid plates
-MC fender / slider system
-JWS headlights + Rigid LED light bar = goodness
-LoD bumpers + WARN 10k winch with synthetic line
-ARB drawer system
-ARB frig hardwire kit
-Bartact seat covers
-Core BDS LA kit has been bomb proof

might change - but wonder what else this would break in my build:
-regear to 5.13's vs 4.88's (i think this would give up durability as i recall)
-not use Fox shocks as they are still not well known / serviceable by local shops
-do CAI or find someway to get some power to the wheels for road use
-different exhaust, i like having the huge OEM muffler gone to gain clearance on the back but the drone from the exhaust gets annoying
-dump the JKS flexlinks and just do a Curry in front to match the rear
-add aftermarket gas tank

Would change:
-Frankenlift suspensions 1-3
-do the TeraFlex bumpstops in 1st phase
-do the rear Curry phase I
-do a different custom tire carrier that i could put legit jerrycan's into
-skip CB just go straight to HAM, have custom radio mount made when i did the cage
-dump Tuffy glove box - have never been able to get it to stop rattling
-Skip my 3months on 35's and go straight to 37's
-Do the TF BBK + Mopar booster when i went to 37's

just a few to get started with..

But with all that said, once i get the steering done and the new tires on - she'll be good for another 25k i imagine..

#famouslastwords

·
Vendor
2,865 Posts
This will occur or a variation will most likely occur if you do the PSC sterering assist.
When I did my PSC (I am not sure what the Big Bore kit requires) I had to modify/hybrid my K&N CAI setup.
Basically where the CAI "sat" it had to go away and run the "long tube" and different K&N filter.
Your Mileage May Vary LOL

Absolutely. I spent weeks, maybe months poring over the forum in 2016 while waiting for the rig to be built and thought i had a decent idea of what i wanted / needed. Like many things in life, my plan didn't survive contact with the enemy (i.e. reality). There have been several absolutely infuriating things that have drove me insane and pushed my willingness to invest, re-invest, and re-invest again - the brakes being the most recent.

Over the lifespan of the build things i wouldn't change - even if i could:
-RH cage
-RH skid plates
-MC fender / slider system
-JWS headlights + Rigid LED light bar = goodness
-LoD bumpers + WARN 10k winch with synthetic line
-ARB drawer system
-ARB frig hardwire kit
-Bartact seat covers
-Core BDS LA kit has been bomb proof

might change - but wonder what else this would break in my build:
-regear to 5.13's vs 4.88's (i think this would give up durability as i recall)
-not use Fox shocks as they are still not well known / serviceable by local shops
-do CAI or find someway to get some power to the wheels for road use
-different exhaust, i like having the huge OEM muffler gone to gain clearance on the back but the drone from the exhaust gets annoying
-dump the JKS flexlinks and just do a Curry in front to match the rear
-add aftermarket gas tank

Would change:
-Frankenlift suspensions 1-3
-do the TeraFlex bumpstops in 1st phase
-do the rear Curry phase I
-do a different custom tire carrier that i could put legit jerrycan's into
-skip CB just go straight to HAM, have custom radio mount made when i did the cage
-dump Tuffy glove box - have never been able to get it to stop rattling
-Skip my 3months on 35's and go straight to 37's
-Do the TF BBK + Mopar booster when i went to 37's

just a few to get started with..

But with all that said, once i get the steering done and the new tires on - she'll be good for another 25k i imagine..

#famouslastwords

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
This will occur or a variation will most likely occur if you do the PSC sterering assist.
When I did my PSC (I am not sure what the Big Bore kit requires) I had to modify/hybrid my K&N CAI setup.
Basically where the CAI "sat" it had to go away and run the "long tube" and different K&N filter.
Your Mileage May Vary LOL
It's funny how quickly real estate disappears in the JK engine bay. on my Silverado, there is at least 20% open space and it's 3y newer and a lot more complicated.

currently I'm still not entirely sold that CAI will work for my use case (i.e. Desert and a LOT of dust) on Jeep. i doubt we will be making any more long roads trips to CA or UT soon, and if so - I'm towing the rig next time as the check engine light kicked on 3/4 of the way to Moab, which made for a stressful trip.

·
Vendor
2,865 Posts
I do similar wheeling and I clean the K&N once a year. It gets dirty. :)

It's funny how quickly real estate disappears in the JK engine bay. on my Silverado, there is at least 20% open space and it's 3y newer and a lot more complicated.

currently I'm still not entirely sold that CAI will work for my use case (i.e. Desert and a LOT of dust) on Jeep. i doubt we will be making any more long roads trips to CA or UT soon, and if so - I'm towing the rig next time as the check engine light kicked on 3/4 of the way to Moab, which made for a stressful trip.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts