Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i disconect the sway bar on my stock 92 yj will it have more articulation or not and would it still be safe to drive on the highway

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
To answer your first question. Yes you will gain more articulation. Answer to your second question. Only you can decide if you feel safe driving with the sway bar disconnected. I however do drive mine with no sway bar and feel completely safe in it. I also understand my jeep is not a sports car and treat it as such.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also drive mine with no sway bar but its not my daily ride. You will notice more body roll when cornering. Just unhook it from the spring plates get some big zip ties and tie it up out of the way and drive it around and see how you like it. If your comfortable with it unhooked remove the rest of it and if not just bolt it back up. Have you removed the trac bars if not removing them will also give you more flex and a hell of a lot better ride.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Take the trac bars out and get some sway bar disconnects or get a picture of them and make some.

It will flex very well and drive better on the road (personal opinion). I drive mine with the sway bar connected to the trail and while airing down I disco the sway bar. Works great.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Take the trac bars out and get some sway bar disconnects or get a picture of them and make some.

It will flex very well and drive better on the road (personal opinion). I drive mine with the sway bar connected to the trail and while airing down I disco the sway bar. Works great.
X2. It is easier to drive without the swaybar if you are either stock height, or lifted with firm springs. Any softer spring setup or SOA I would say spend the $100 on disconnects, or keep a wrench to pull them on and off when you get to the trails.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Track bars are supposed to keep the axle centered under the Jeep. But are only necessary for coil overs. The sway bar eliminates body roll around corners.

·
Registered
118 Posts

So it's safe to drive with the trac bar out and the sway bar in? I was curious because the trac bars are relatively large and I figured the stress from the missing trac bar would be transferred to the much smaller and weaker sway bar.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yes it's safe to remove the trac bars. You can drive with or without the sway bar. It's totally up to your setup and what you like and how you drive. Just disconnect it drive around the block and see how it feels. If you like it connected during on road trips then just get or make QD links for off road trips.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i disconected the sway bar and didnt notice a difference but dread the star bolts on the trac bar

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i disconected the sway bar and didnt notice a difference but dread the star bolts on the trac bar
Go to a parking lot and swerve around. You will feel it then. That is why they are important. Not because you can't drive without it, but because if someone cuts you off going 55 and you try to avoid them the odds of you maintaining control aren't too good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i used a hammer then a sledge hammer and nothing. so i tried to pry it for a little and finall tied it to a tree in my front yard to give the people driving by a show. it broke the first 2 ropes then i tied some lifting cables and it pulled right off.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
i used a hammer then a sledge hammer and nothing. so i tried to pry it for a little and finall tied it to a tree in my front yard to give the people driving by a show. it broke the first 2 ropes then i tied some lifting cables and it pulled right off.
What pulled off? Usually this type of work warrants more things to break eeek! Are you just trying to remove the star bolt holdin the track bar on?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i unbolted the it from the frame and got the nut off the axel part and it wouldnt seperate cuz the bolt was bent. luckly nothing else broke

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
another question my jeep is turning into a bit*h to controll it got better after i took off the sway bar. its not the death wobble, and the tiers are balanced it wants to shake back and forth it isnt extreme but when i brake hard it wants to steer to the right or left. it does it without braking any ideas

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
another question my jeep is turning into a bit*h to controll it got better after i took off the sway bar. its not the death wobble, and the tiers are balanced it wants to shake back and forth it isnt extreme but when i brake hard it wants to steer to the right or left. it does it without braking any ideas
Loose steering components? Worn out front hubs? Old steering stabilizer? Front trac bar? Ball joints?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts