Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home and when I tried to shift my vehicle into park it won't go. It feels like there is something that won't allow me to shift into park and I tried seeing if it was the brake shift lock by pressing hard on the brake but still nothing. I can't even get my key out of the ignition now since the vehicle isn't in Park. It is an automatic and I am not sure what this could be. Any help would be great. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
try running it all the way back and forth a couple times. my old Cherokee did that and it would click join after running it back,and forth.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I went back out and found the problem thanks to a brother site. it seems that inside the shifter there is this white plastic piece that has little balls on it and and the bottom ball had broke off. All you have to do is pull of the shifting handle to get it out. The trick is using a Chinese chop stick or plastic hanger to replace the broke piece as it seems you can't just purchase the one plastic piece on its own. A great tip and should be an easy fix once I order some Chinese food....lol But for now all I have to do is just depress on this metal rod which is inside the automatic shifting console in the vehicle and it shifts back into park. From what I read this is a very common problem that occurs.

:thumb:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes I'v read that on the Jeep Forum before and other issue that will bite you is no resistance auto shifter. Shifts freely. This is caused when cheap white plastic bushing on the shift linkage mechanism breaks off. Need to crawl under and locate for your own good. A spare tie-wrap or two is always handy in jeep recovery pouch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts