Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. I have a 04 Wrangler X with half doors and since February the side latch on my drivers side doesn't work so I've been unzipping my windows and pulling the outside latch to get out. Not that big of a deal but with it getting cold I decided it was time to fix it.
Went to the STEALERSHIP and for a latch assembly replacement and door latch they are trying to charge me $700 dollars! That seems insane to me especially when I looked up the OEM parts and it came out to 150 bucks. I guess all the extra money is labor? Still, I'm a student and definitely don't have $700 bucks laying around to fix a goddamn door latch.

How easy is this to fix on my own. I do most of my own work on my Jeep but I'm just really busy with school so I thought I'd pay a little for convenience, but I didn't think I'd be expected to pay 700 dollars. HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
876 Posts
It really shouldn't be too hard. I was looking at videos yesterday on replacing the latch on full doors and not to hard if your a semi handy person. Check youtube and there should be a video detailing it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I bet you find that the latch isn't broken. More than likely the little plastic clip that holds the rod is broken allowing the rod to disconnect from either the latch or handle. It's not to difficult of a job. Certainly not a $700 repair! You may need to pick up an interior tool set prob. less than $20 for the tools and $10 in parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, what Baloo_TJ said. I'd take it apart and make sure that the rod is connected. If it isn't the problem is the little plastic grommet.

If it is connected and the latch mechanism is bad it's probably a lot cheaper to check around online for a used one than to get a new one at the dealership. Might check Davey's Jeep. (daveysjeep.com I think, google it to make sure)

Hope that helps.

I bet you find that the latch isn't broken. More than likely the little plastic clip that holds the rod is broken allowing the rod to disconnect from either the latch or handle. It's not to difficult of a job. Certainly not a $700 repair! You may need to pick up an interior tool set prob. less than $20 for the tools and $10 in parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.