Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since I posted any updates, so I figured I'd share my latest updates. I was so tired of cigarette USB adaptors I deleted the ash try and added USB ports and 12v charger.

I deleted the ash tray, cut the original connection and replaced with a 2 pin weather pack connector and created this bracket.

The 2 USB chargers show system voltage until I plug in a cable, then they show charge current. This gives me 4 USB ports and a 12v charger.

I have a 4 fuse holder on order to separate the 2 USB from 12v and to have the 12v always hot. The original cigarette lighter is on a 20amp fuse so I figured a new 20amp always on for the 12v charger and the original 20amp for the 4 USB.

Car Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Automotive tire
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Rectangle
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Television
Gadget Audio equipment Computer hardware Wood Electric blue

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very nice! I was just looking at the ash tray today and thought to myself, "this thing has to go!" Now, I have a plan. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
13,602 Posts
@Velorider562 You state you created the bracket. Do you mean you created it from scratch or that you adapted an off the shelf bracket to fit your purpose? if you adapted an existing bracket, where did you buy it. If you created it from scratch, you should patent it, produce it and sell it. I'd buy one.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Velorider562 You state you created the bracket. Do you mean you created it from scratch or that you adapted an off the shelf bracket to fit your purpose? if you adapted an existing bracket, where did you buy it. If you created it from scratch, you should patent it, produce it and sell it. I'd buy one.

Good Luck, L.M.
I designed it on fusion 360 and 3d printed it. I'm happy to upload the design so others can print it.

John

·
Super Moderator
13,602 Posts
I was born during WW II. Our family was the first one in our neighborhood to have a television. I lived half my life before cell phones were a thing. I'm constantly amazed at the technology available to us today.
I thank @Velorider562 for his kindness in offering to upload his design so that others may print it. The casualness with which he offers his design and the assumption that so many would have a 3D printer with the quality to produce such a fine product emphasizes the differences in generations but also points out the generosity that all human beings are capable of.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was born during WW II. Our family was the first one in our neighborhood to have a television. I lived half my life before cell phones were a thing. I'm constantly amazed at the technology available to us today.
I thank @Velorider562 for his kindness in offering to upload his design so that others may print it. The casualness with which he offers his design and the assumption that so many would have a 3D printer with the quality to produce such a fine product emphasizes the differences in generations but also points out the generosity that all human beings are capable of.

Good Luck, L.M.
Ha!!! Can't imagine the things you've seen in your life and how different life is today.

Will upload the design when I get on my laptop tonight. Printers are pretty cheap now, starting at $400. There are so many designs out there to be download and printed. It won't be too many years before most people know someone with one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the STL file. Its a direct bolt in replacement for the ash tray.

System won't allow STL files attchements, link below.

Jeep Switch Panel.stl

·
Registered
93 hi-po 2.5 AX5 RE 2.5" lift with 31" speed enhancing tires
1,215 Posts

Good Luck, L.M.
LM, call one of your grandkids, if they don't have one, they know someone who does. Send them the link to this thread.

·
Super Moderator
13,602 Posts
LM, call one of your grandkids, if they don't have one, they know someone who does. Send them the link to this thread.
When VCRs first came out I remember my parents joking that if one of their contemporaries couldn't program the VCR, that they should have one of their kids do it.
Kids today say "What's a VCR"? "Is that something like an antique TIVO"?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
OP, what USB plugs are those? I've reached out to some people with 3D printers to see about making one.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, those are the USB charger.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
OP,
Thanks. My buddy's son has a 3D printer and made me two.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,528 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts