Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help.

I'm changing out my Recon steps for N-Fab bars/steps this week because my old knees and back are not liking the height of the Recon steps at all. For me, they are simply too high to actually work as steps.

I'll post them up in the For Sale section once I have them off and ready to go, but wanted to ask what you all thought would be a fair price for them. I've had the Jeep for 5 weeks with only pavement and mild (easy dirt road) driving. No scratches, no rock dings, etc.

Thoughts?

I will not be shipping them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
look at it this way, I was able to buy the stock rubi rock sliders for 20 bucks lol, the cheapist sliders I have seen that are after market are the AEC or the smittybilt

ACE JK Rock Sliders (4 Door)
https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-rock-crawler-side-jk-76633.html

I would ask perhaps 200 to 250? also remember buying these stock sliders from the dealer will be at a much higher price, as seen here https://www.quadratec.com/products/12112_222_07.htm

your best option also can be go to your dealer and ask if they would swap them sliders with the oem steps that come on the sahara, or ask them if they would swap them with a used jeep instead of a new one

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what your intent was here. I'm not looking for cheap sliders and I'm sure as hell not looking to swap these for the plastic Sahara steps. I already have a plan for my Jeep. I'm just looking to see what someone would think was a fair price for these. Nothing more.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It's early to see what the market will bear on those steps- considering what they cost from the dealer (MSRP between $1550 and 1900 for JK and JKU), you may find someone willing to pay up to half that as slightly used take-offs.

I've seen the enhanced Rubi rails (without the step add-on) go for $200+ on craigslist. You may find a taker at $500, maybe more- hard to say. I have the enhanced Rubi rails, and while I certainly liked the look of the Recon version when the initial photos were coming out, I recoiled when I saw MSRP on those steps and ruled them out as something I'd buy as an upgrade based on cost alone. You'd have to find the right balance between value and what people are willing to pay, and that will be hard to pinpoint until a few sets have popped up on the market and have been sold.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'm not even looking to make a ton of money on them. They're cool, but don't do anything for me, so if I can help out someone who wants them, I'm good.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
For perspective, if I found a set of Recon rails locally between $300-$400 I would jump on them, but for more than that I'd be going aftermarket. I won't hold my breath finding a set priced that way.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL. That's what I planned to do in addition to my local Jeep FB page.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
You paid a huge premium for those rock sliders/steps when you bought the Recon. Its too bad you paid extra for the Recon, and are not using all of the expensive parts it comes with.

In any case, over the years I have found that a fair asking price for a used part that is in like new condition, is 1/2 the retail price for that part. So if those rock sliders/steps sell for $1550 from the dealer when new, you should be able to get $775 out of them.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You paid a huge premium for those rock sliders/steps when you bought the Recon. Its too bad you paid extra for the Recon, and are not using all of the expensive parts it comes with.

In any case, over the years I have found that a fair asking price for a used part that is in like new condition, is 1/2 the retail price for that part. So if those rock sliders/steps sell for $1550 from the dealer when new, you should be able to get $775 out of them.
I doubt he'd get close to that. It doesn't matter that Jeep is asking that much. I'd say $300 is a realistic price to start with. Anything over that people will just go aftermarket.

I know they aren't standard Rubicon rails, but usually these things sit forever until the seller takes no more than $100 for them. Being that these are Recons and they will be rare, you can command a bit more, but not that much more. They are still an OEM part and the aftermarket for rock rails gives people a million options that are stronger.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Need a little help.

I'm changing out my Recon steps for N-Fab bars/steps this week because my old knees and back are not liking the height of the Recon steps at all. For me, they are simply too high to actually work as steps.

I'll post them up in the For Sale section once I have them off and ready to go, but wanted to ask what you all thought would be a fair price for them. I've had the Jeep for 5 weeks with only pavement and mild (easy dirt road) driving. No scratches, no rock dings, etc.

Thoughts?

I can't help you with a price unfortunately, but since the selling price on a new set of Recon rails for a JKU is around $1900 PER SIDE (dealer price is much more), I definitely wouldn't give them away.
In fact unless you can get a pretty good price for them, I would suggest that you keep them. Rather than give them away for a couple of hundred bucks, I would keep them in the event you decide to sell the Recon in a couple of years.
Having a Recon with the original parts on it could be worth much more for resale value than the puny price you might be able to get for them.
I know that in a couple of years or so, if I was looking to buy a used Recon, I would definitely pay more for one that had the original parts than some other less expensive rails on it.

·
Premium Member
10,146 Posts
Need a little help.

Thoughts?

No shipping? Post them on Craigs List in your area and forget about national advertising.

Local pickup... $500.

Package and ship... $750+freight (I would buy them)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts

All the more reason to sell them. FCA added a bunch of stuff of arguable value to the package, so it makes to sell the stuff you didn't want.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I can't help you with a price unfortunately, but since the selling price on a new set of Recon rails for a JKU is around $1900 PER SIDE (dealer price is much more), I definitely wouldn't give them away.
In fact unless you can get a pretty good price for them, I would suggest that you keep them. Rather than give them away for a couple of hundred bucks, I would keep them in the event you decide to sell the Recon in a couple of years.
Having a Recon with the original parts on it could be worth much more for resale value than the puny price you might be able to get for them.
I know that in a couple of years or so, if I was looking to buy a used Recon, I would definitely pay more for one that had the original parts than some other less expensive rails on it.
I doubt it will add much resale value if any. The Recon and the HR before it are hardly limited production vehicles​. They sell almost as many of them as Rubicons. Around here you see more HRs than any other trim package.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Off topic, but which steps are you going with?
My only reason for replacing them is that I have physical injuries that make it harder and harder to climb in the Jeep and I have plans for a small lift and 35s.

I need more of an actual step. I really like the Rockslide Power Steps but the price was too hard to justify to myself. I picked up the N-Fab steps and put them on yesterday, but I just can't get past the looks and would like a longer step anyway.

So, TLDR, last night, the wife said, "You know you want power ones, so get them." I'm going to check around for the best deal/shipping etc, but I'm going to get the RSE step sliders with armor.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not worried about the resale, folks. This Jeep is staying with me, at least until my 7 year old is old enough to want it for her first vehicle, lol.

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,071 Posts
...I'm going to check around for the best deal/shipping etc, but I'm going to get the RSE step sliders with armor.

WOW! Those are N I C E, but that is some serious coin for steps. But I hear you....if you need them, you need them. It's great that they are able to be a power step and functioning armor/protection.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A set of GrabBars helps with getting in and out of one too.
I have them as well, but my left knee is messed up and that is the one that I need to support me when I step in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts