Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A buddy of mine and I are planning a jeep trip out to the Ouray area next summer. We are hoping to camp as much as we can and I had a few questions. I'm hoping to find some good places to camp while i'm out there there. I read through a large portion of the "Hooray for Ouray" thread, but didn't find much about camping in various places. (I may not have read far enough along, will finish thread later) I'm wondering if anyone know if it's possible to find a good spot off the road and just set up camp as long as we pack everything that we pack in. This trip is still in the early planning stages and I'm just looking for suggestions. I'm about internet stupid so forgive me if I'm not searching correctly.

Thanks from an East Tennessee Jeeper!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
There are spots at the KOA campground, but book soon if you plan to stay there. It was sold out this last trip. Many of the passes also have camp spots at the top and bottom of each trail. But be prepared if you are going to stay on top of a pass, temperatures drop quickly, inclement weather can also move in very quickly. There are US Forest Service campsites which are a first come/first serve along with the Amphitheater campground. Camp bird road is also a spot near town that is first come first serve.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
There were several non-improved, open camping spots off of the Cinnamon Pass trail as we approached Animas Forks from Lake City last year when I was down there. I'm sure there are other spots, but I just remember seeing the people camping along that route as we drove past.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If you are dry camping I don't have much to contribute but the KOA in Ouray is really nice. They even offer a nice breakfast in the mornings and decent showers. Close to town and gas. I'll be there again in June with the Jeep or my motorcycle depending on weather and conditions. Prepare to be awed by the beauty of that area!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Another vote for the KOA! Book early!

Just FYI, it's something like 20% sales tax in Ouray.

Stay away from the taco place. Horrible, expensive food and no service. I'm still pissed about that place!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Another vote for the KOA! Book early!

Just FYI, it's something like 20% sales tax in Ouray.

Stay away from the taco place. Horrible, expensive food and no service. I'm still pissed about that place!
Which taco place is that? The one in ridgeway?

·
Registered
817 Posts
The one in Ouray when you're coming in the north end of town. It's on the right side when you're headed south.

ETA: Two Rascals Tacos and Taps

This place makes Casa Bonita look like they serve gourmet food.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
The one in Ouray when you're coming in the north end of town. It's on the right side when you're headed south.

ETA: Two Rascals Tacos and Taps

This place makes Casa Bonita look like they serve gourmet food.
The one is ridgeway was delicious.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you guys again for the great information. The more I look at pictures from the area the more i get excited about it and I know the pictures of the are don't do it any justice. Just like when I look back through my pictures from my motorcycle trip to South Dakota, I remember the raw beauty that a photo just can't capture.

The small group I'm traveling with doesn't particularly care for Mexican anyway, but again thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
pictures of the area don't do it any justice. !

They really do not. Its incredible.

I missed this years trip, to much going on...I am hoping like hell to make it again for 2017

The KOAs arent bad at all. IIRC, a one tent spot was $50 a night. Shower facilities, food, internet, etc...

But when you can actually disconnect from the world and stay outside a KOA, hard ground, open skies, warm fire and simple food, tent... I would recommend it. There are bears in the area, we saw a couple during the 2015 trip, so be weary of food and other scrap. Even in town, at 5am the temp can be almost freezing, so pack warm clothes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We went out for two weeks this past July and did dispersed camping the entire trip. That means we just go up the jeep trails and find a likely spot and pull off and camp. If you are on BLM or NF land, you can pretty much do that. I have a Rough Rider and the TV is a Jeep Wrangler, so just pulled it where ever I wanted to go.

Get this book: Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails on Amazon for $35, it is a great resource for all the trails in the area.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
image-276033463.jpg

BB This summer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But when you can actually disconnect from the world and stay outside a KOA, hard ground, open skies, warm fire and simple food, tent... I would recommend it. There are bears in the area, we saw a couple during the 2015 trip, so be weary of food and other scrap. Even in town, at 5am the temp can be almost freezing, so pack warm clothes.
That's what we'd like to do, get out, disconnect, and just enjoy the trip.

Get this book: Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails on Amazon for $35, it is a great resource for all the trails in the area.
I've stumbled across that book, after the holidays are over I intend to pick it up.

Here's some more Ouray pics to get you excited for your trip!
You guys are killing my with the great pics, do you remember what trail this is?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Imogene, blackbear, and Red Mountain (Yankee girl mine) it looks like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts