Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting close to the purchase of my first Jeep. Friends have convinced me that, since I'm interested in off-roading, I should go ahead and get the Rubicon. So that's the model I am looking for. Hope to buy within a month or two.

What I am wondering now is whether there are any sites where I can read up on technical off-roading tips. You know, how deep the water hole has to be before you go around instead of thru. How to get un-stuck once you're stuck on that boulder on your rocker panel between the front and rear axles. Best way to fix a flat off-road. What's the best technique for driving in deep sand or mud or __________(insert whatever terrain). What should you do if you flip over on your top?
Etc. etc. etc.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
CL
:popcorn:

·
Registered
573 Posts
That is some serious off-roadig your talking about there though... Not the mud hole part or the different terrain... but the getting jammed between a boulder.. and FLIPPING?!?! You should prepare for that by just praying you DONT!!!
Look on some of the 4 wheeling magazine websites, if your really set on trying to figure out how to cope with those situations, check out some the articles on there.
For the normal 4x4ing techniques and tips, look on here.
Use the search bar to find specific things out.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/how-to-off-road-116119.html
check out this thread.
Theres a lot of info on this forum, you just gotta dig a little, Hopefully you'll find what your looking for!
Have a good one!
-JACK

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don do rocks but I'll chime in on the mud part.. I've got a manual I prefer 2 or 3rd gear in the mud and lo range has enough to pull you through its not fun shifting in 4hi when your bogging down 2nd and lo has the grunt to keep going

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
When rock crawling....drive ON the rocks, not over them. Rocks and boulders near driveshafts and oil pans equal broken jeep!

·
Registered
43 Posts
First off dont jeep alone!! go with other capable vehicles, thats where you will learn the most, also most 'Jeep Clubs' have a list of 'safety gear' you must have on-board to go on 'Runs' ie: CB radio, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, water etc. you can find these suggested items on-line...safety first!

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Your on Wrangler Forum, looking for a place to learn how to jeep.... Hmmmm. Does this strike anyone else as funny?

Well Your welcome to come to the High School Jeepers Thread and talk to any of us about offroading. There are a few of us in clubs and who offroad a good bit, also there are quite a few who aren't in highschool despite the name of the thread. There are also a few thousand other offroad enthusiasts on this site who would probably pitch in with any specific questions you have. Also if you use the search function on here or use the domain search on good for WF or JF you will find many threads already dedicated to this topic! :)

Goodluck and if you need anything else let us all know :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts