Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have removed all 3 , 13mm 12opoint bolts that hold the bearing/hub on the knuckle. I live in the northeast so needless to say these things have rusted themselves together something fierce.

Any suggested tips or tricks to break those parts free from each other so I can get my axles out.

I'm contemplating getting another set of jack stands. Lifting the rear axle to get the wheels off the ground. putting it in 4-hi and give a little gas. Maybe some torque from the axles themselves can break the hub free.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
A 10lb Slide Hammer attached to the spindle should pull the axles. Unless they have the C-clip inside the carrier. Then that will have to be removed first.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know, the D30 front axle doesn't have c-clips. hmmm, I'm going to see if any friends have a slide hammer I can borrow.

So If I follow your suggestion, I should bolt the slide hammer onto the wheel studs and then have a go at it from there. That should help get the bearing hub separated from the knuckle.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Have you tried the socket-between-inner C-and-axle yoke and crank the steering wheel trick, or play crack-the-whip with an attached logchain?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I back out theb3 bolts about 1/2" and then put a deep well socket 1 size bigger on one of the outer bolts and jam it against the yoke by turning the steering wheel... then crank tye steerimg a little more till you feel the pop.... swap 5he socket to the other side and repeat.... remove bolts and unit bearing will pull right off....

The link posted above me is another way to do the same thing but would require a helper.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far I have tried the following. I put on of the 3 bolts for the hub almost threaded fully in. I had a 13mm 12pt socket that I was willing to sacrifice. I put a small extension on it and wailed on it with a hammer. I was able to at least move it a bit but it's still pretty stuck.

I will try the grade 8 bolt again the yoke and the inner c. I'll have to reinstall my tie rods which I haven't put back in yet. But I'll give it a go.

Thanks again for the tips

·
Registered
591 Posts
mine were hard to get out. I finally settled on new unit bearings and just beat the heck out of them with BFH. Came straight off.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I will try the grade 8 bolt again the yoke and the inner c. I'll have to reinstall my tie rods which I haven't put back in yet. But I'll give it a go.
Helps to have a second set of hands to hold the hub in place with a breaker bar or something to keep the axle from spinning while you turn the wheel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5Lb slide hammer did the trick. Now I can finally get to changing my u-joints.

Thanks for all of the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts