Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of looking for a new jeep and while I'm mainly looking at JK's, the idea of another TJ is entertained at times as well.

If I go the TJ route, I'll be looking for an 02-04, as those seem to be the best years. I would prefer a rubicon, but open to others as well. Most that I've come across so far have around 170,000 miles.

What is the highest mileage you would buy? I'm looking to spend around 12-14k tops if that helps.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm in the process of looking for a new jeep and while I'm mainly looking at JK's, the idea of another TJ is entertained at times as well. If I go the TJ route, I'll be looking for an 02-04, as those seem to be the best years. I would prefer a rubicon, but open to others as well. Most that I've come across so far have around 170,000 miles. What is the highest mileage you would buy? I'm looking to spend around 12-14k tops if that helps.
I wouldn't go past 150k, but I know a lot of the guys on here would disagree and say they run forever! I just find at the 150 mark they need a lot more work but people atill price them higher because it's a wrangler.

Bought my XJ with 125,000 it's at 132k now and my TJ has 119k.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would be more concerned with the maintenance than the mileage. If it was taken good care of with quality fluid changes regularly it will go a long time. Buying a Jeep like that with 150,000 could be better than one that was not taken care of with 50,000.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Wheels082 pretty much nailed it on maintenance. For the mileage factor alone I wouldn't worry much of any 4.0 150k or under. 12-14k puts you in a nice jeep with relatively low mileage.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i would be more concerned with the maintenance than the mileage. If it was taken good care of with quality fluid changes regularly it will go a long time. Buying a jeep like that with 150,000 could be better than one that was not taken care of with 50,000.
+1

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I've been thinking to stay under around 130k so I may bump up to 150k

The maintenance piece I agree with, it's just hard to know what they've done and it's, mostly, unverifiable. The last jeep I bought looked perfect when I test drove it on a few different days, but the next day after I got it home and I cranked it, the problems became apparent with all the squeals and rattles. Turns out after it warms up they went away, so it looks like the guy was letting it run for a bit when i was on the way so it seemed great by the time I got there.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
From most to least important my criteria with Jeeps are location, maintenance, age, mileage.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It really is more important to know how well taken care of it was. I'd rather take 150 with tons of quality replacement parts and a new transmission than one with 120k and nothing done to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would be more concerned with the maintenance than the mileage. If it was taken good care of with quality fluid changes regularly it will go a long time. Buying a Jeep like that with 150,000 could be better than one that was not taken care of with 50,000.
This.

Be extremely anal about this. Pardon my language. Speaking from experience. I'm literally in this boat and seriously wanting to get rid of my current jeep after putting a serious amount of money in it. Still putting money in it. Have had it under a year. I will say 123k and my motor is the only thing that was sound on my jeep. Minus 0 rust. If everything else were so sound. I would drive it across the country without hesitation.

Don't hesitate to walk away if something seems off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2003 Jeep Wrangler X 4WD 2dr SUV In Monroe NC - Pristine Auto Sales

This one here has caught my eye. 117k miles. It's about an hour and a half away, so I hope to go check it out later this week. Anyone ever heard of "Freedom Edition" in the TJ's? The build sheet mentions that, but I've never hard of it. The asking price doesn't seem to bad either.

Here is the build sheet:

Equipment Listing
VIN 1J4FA39S63P354706
Vehicle Description 2003 JEEP WRANGLER X 4X4 SPORT UTILITY 2-DR
STANDARD EQUIPMENT
* Monotone Paint
* 117 Amp Alternator
* 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
* Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes
* High Back Bucket Seats
* Reclining Front Seats
* Rear Folding Seat
* Next Generation Front Air Bags**
* Front Seat Area Carpet
* Cargo Tie Down Loops
* Sport Bar w/Full Padding
* Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
* Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
* 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio
* Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle
* Tinted Windshield Glass
* Rear View Day/Night Mirror
* Swing-Away Mirrors
* Route 97 - CSX, Dixiana, SC
* Instrument Cluster w/Tach
* 100 MPH Primary Speedometer
* Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
* Single Low Note Horn
1 02/21/16
* 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet
* Locking Glove Box
* DARK SILVER Metallic - Badge - Jeep,
* DARK SILVER Metallic - Badge - Wrang
* Halogen Headlamps
* CHMSL Lamp
* Black Front Bumper
* Black Rear Bumper
* Bumper Extensions
* Chrome Headlamp Bezels
* Black Front Frame Overlay
* Body Color Grille
* EVAP Control System
* 19 Gallon Fuel Tank
* Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat
* 4 Speakers
* Power Steering
* Normal Duty Suspension
* Front Stabilizer Bar
* Rear Stabilizer Bar
* Outside Tire Carrier
* Upgraded OBD-II Connectors
* Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
* Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
* Tethered Fuel Filler Cap
* Protective Coating and Remover
* Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications
* GVW Rating - 4450#
* U.S. Dealer Retail
2 02/21/16
* Zone 66-Orlando
* TJ-Vehicle Family
* Four Wheel Drive (4WD)/(4X4)
* Left Hand Drive (LHD)
* Vehicle Order Tracking
* U.S. Specifications Label
* South Carolina Ship to State Code
* South Carolina Sold to State Code
OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
* Cloth High-Back Bucket Seats
* Dark Slate Gray
* Steering Group
* Convenience Group
* Freedom Edition Package
* Mutually Exclusive Package
* Easy Access Pass Tip & Slide Seat
* Rear Seat/Wheelhouse/Cargo Carpet
* Front Floor Mats
* Spare Tire Cover
* Full Length Floor Console
* All Manual Transmissions
* 5-Speed HD Manual Transmission
* 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
* Light Tint Front Door Windows
* Full Metal Doors w/Roll-up Windows
* Left Manual Mirror
* Right Manual Mirror
* Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System
3 02/21/16
* Air Conditioning
* EXTERIOR COMPONENT COLOR
* Shift Indicator Warning Lamp
* Courtesy Lamps
* Underhood Lamp
* Fog Lamps
* Freedom Badge
* 50 State Emissions
* Low Emission Vehicle (LEV)
* Speed Control
* Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat
* All Radio Equipped Vehicles
* AM/FM Compact Disc Radio w/Chgr Ctrl
* Fixed Long Mast Antenna
* Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
* Tilt Steering Column
* Full Size Spare Tire
* P225/75R15 OWL Wrangler AT Tires
* Goodyear Brand Tires
* Black Easy Folding Soft Top
* 15X7.0 Chrome Wheels
* Matching Spare Wheel
* All Aluminum Wheels
* 2 Front & 1 Rear Tow Hooks
* 5 Additional Gallons of Gas
* Spring - Left Rear
* Spring - Left Front
* Spring - Right Rear
* Spring - Right Front
4 02/21/16
* FAM: AB TRACKING: 10222T11 MY:2001
* FAM: TJ TRACKING: 30211J00 MY:2003
* Customer Preferred Package 2TX
* Customer Preferred Package 25X
* No Charge Air Conditioning
* Customer Preferred Discount
* Paint Order Code

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Neither of those are looking too impressive, although the silver one seems less beat up. Dana 35 rear axle is fair for me. Both of those have it.

Regardless, stay away from dealerships. They overcharge for any kind of upgrade regardless of quality of parts. And a "build list" is factory and doesn't count lol

Here's one in Charlotte for you
2002 TJ

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/search/cto?sort=priceasc&auto_cylinders=4&auto_title_status=1&hasPic=1&max_auto_miles=125000&max_auto_year=2006&min_auto_year=1997&query=jeep%20wrangler&srchType=T

set this search ... < 125k, 6 cylinder, clean titles..phoenix for sale "wrangler rubicon" - craigslist

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yer gettin' the hang of it, NCWrangler :D ... I like that the choices in your links still have the "milk jug" front bumper thingys ... shows that the previous owners were not much for offroad and messing around with stuff. Go lock stock if you can to avoid the bonehead cheapo bling (but you probably already know this)

The red dealer one was WAY overpriced, the CL ones much more reasonable in my opinion. I found my stock Rubicon on CL. I'd be real comfortable with one of the <100,000 mile choices. The Silver Charlotte rig looked nice, but I'd rather offer $10K and work toward the middle.

I guess my uncomfort zone would start about 125,000+ and would definitely do a thorough rust inspection and compression test at least.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I purchased a 2003 one owner Rubicon almost two years ago with 112K. I bought it at my dealer and then several months later met the original owner and got more info. The dealer repaired the A/C control panel, changed oil, filter, took of the safari rack but left on the snorkel.

I also got the CarFax and that is critical to what you are buying. If buying from an individual, join the CarFax and run all the vin numbers through them. I found out that the rear axle had been replaced under warranty with less then 10K, it was regularly serviced, it was initially registered in Hampton, Va for about 18 months, then 6 years in Las Vegas and then 3 years in Valdosta, Ga. (Most now know the original owner is/was in the Air Force - he still is). It was routinely serviced at the proper interval, but did not detail out the exact items done. The six years in the desert was a real plus. The first chance I got to get it on the lift it is as clean underneath as a new one. Be sure to either get your candidate on the lift or get down with a flashlight and mirror to check for rust in the body/frame underside. Don't worry about surface rust on the axles, springs, driveshaft as they are forged/cast rarely impacted by the rot type rust rolled/stamped steel is.

When I met the original owner he informed me that the front and rear axles were serviced at 70K (I bought it with 112K, now has 120K) and the radio eats CDs. I replace the top that came with it when it developed 3 leaks (upgraded to a Bestop), and recently put on 4 new tires and had the clutch replaced.

Drives like a dream and have no current issues. Keep in mind that you will have to spend some money of maintenance. The top looked good and was only about two years old, but as the original owner said it was a cheaper option top (he does have two kids, so went the budget route on top and tires). The tires still had decent tread and were only two years old but had a vibration and were noisy. Replaced them with Goodyear Wrangers designed for the Rubicon and they are quiet and smooth.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I searched for the right jeep forever. The first thing I wanted was it to be as close to factory as possible. Second low price third low miles. After looking for about 4 months and driving to 3 states this past summer I found an 03 TJ about 45 min from my house and the price was a lot lower than most jeeps i had looked at and the mileage was super high. Like 189k high. But I gave it a shot and checked it out. And Im dang glad I did. It was bone stock, red, hard top, automatic (which I need since I lost my left arm in an accident few years back). A few minor rock chips on the fenders was all that was wrong. A lady had bought it brand new and all the miles were highway. She drove about 150 miles a day for work. Said she had it in 4 wheel drive maybe 6 times due to weather and I had guess every service receipt for the jeep. Motor, which is 4.0L had been rebuilt at 175k with 65k warranty tranny rebuilt at 150k with 75k warranty. She said nothing was wrong with them her husband said it was time. They were an older couple and I could tell he was old school like my dad who beat into my head that no matter what the oil had to be changed at 3000 miles no matter what. I paid them $9000 and I've not had one problem. It's like new but defenatly not stock anymore. Just my 2 cents I would try to stay as close to stock as you could. That way you can build it the way you want it.

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
Not sure what your budget is, but have you considered an LJ? They are a rare breed and I know that's what I'll be looking for next. And I agree with most that 150K miles and well maintained (with records) would be my limit.

As far as the JK, no amount of mileage would convince me to part with $35K+ to buy one...but that's just my opinion. Good luck!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the replies! The milk jugs did catch my attention, because most that use jeeps to do anything but scoot around town yank those off first :thumbsup: I'm trying to find a stock one, because as mentioned, I don't want to buy someone else's problems with cheap lifts and torn up parts, etc, so I'm hoping that stock cuts down on a lot of that. Of the ones I've posted, I'm heavily Leaning towards the silver. It seems well taken care of and it is completely stock with the addition of a trailer hitch. He says that he is the 3rd owner with the first owner being in NC. The first owner passed Away and his son took the Jeep to VA, didn't really drive it and that is when the 3rd owner purchased it. I plan on checking it out Thursday hopefully. I had thought about an LJ but had to rule it out. They were only made from 04-06, and I'm not looking for an 05-06 due to bad experiences with the OPDA issues, which leaves the 04. If I'm not mistaken, the 04's were only automatics and I really prefer a stick.

Did anyone else notice the scoop thing on the cowl with the silver Jeep? What is that for? Never seen them on a Jeep before

1 - 20 of 38 Posts