Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the choice between 33-inch tires or bigger is coming up soon. I want to make sure my tire carrier is up to the task, so I've been checking out the Teraflex Aluminum Hinged Tire Carrier.

My most likely and cheapest scenario is keeping my stock Rubi wheels and running 33s. Will I need to upgrade my tire carrier to do that? What if I decide on 34s?

I like the idea of an upgraded carrier as in stronger is always better than weaker. In hindsight I should have picked one up as an option when I ordered this rig but that ship has already sailed. Will I just be wasting my $$ if I only put a 33 and stock wheel on a TF Carrier?

A big point in favor of the TF is that it's not all that expensive [insert nod to the WF Vendor discount here] and looks pretty easy to install.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just upgraded to 34x10.5 KO2s. Although they aren't significantly heavier than the original KMs, I decided to go with the terraflex hinge just to be on the safe side. It is really solid and very well manufactured. The installation was easy.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just upgraded to 34x10.5 KO2s. Although they aren't significantly heavier than the original KMs, I decided to go with the terraflex hinge just to be on the safe side. It is really solid and very well manufactured. The installation was easy.
Did you get the TF Adjustable Kit as well? I'm having a hard time understanding why that kit would be necessary.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the real answer is when you go over 85lbs per tire/wheel.
Can you cite the source? Not a challenge. Just curious where you found that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am pretty sure that it states 85lbs in the owners manual. That isn't saying that if you put 86 on it is going to crack welds, but that is when FCA says you are overloading the carrier.

·
Registered
46 Posts
85 lbs is from the owners manual. And if you don't know how much your spare weighs, grab a regular weight scale if you have one. No need to guess then.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am not sure what wheels and tires you have but you can find tire weights on most manufactures sites. Stock Rubicon wheels are 24lbs and BFG KM 255/75, stock Rubicon tires are 48lbs so 72lbs.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am pretty sure that it states 85lbs in the owners manual. That isn't saying that if you put 86 on it is going to crack welds, but that is when FCA says you are overloading the carrier.
Ah, the owner's manual, lol. The one place I didn't think to look!

Thanks a lot.

And yep, I'm at 72 pounds now. Not sure how much more a typical 33 inch tire weighs than my current 32 but I doubt it's even close to 13 pounds. So I should be fine sticking with the OEM if I stick with 33s and probably ok if I go with 34s.

But I think I'm going to get the TF carrier anyway. Like I said before, stronger is better than weaker. And I like tinkering with my Jeep.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I installed my TF hinge and carrier a few weeks before I upgraded my tires. Even with just the stock tire on it made a significant improvement in the gate feel and tire stability when closing the gate.

I'd consider it a good upgrade even with stock tires.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes, owners manual. I weighed out my 33" Coopers with the stock Sport S wheel. Im right at 85 lbs, +/- 2 lbs. Ive opted not to upgrade as of yet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
255/80R17's (33x10) will be 80-82lbs and work with stock wheels without spacers. The BFG KO2 34x10.5 and stock wheel was 79 lbs. I am not sure what the more popular 33" size weighs (285/70R17) but my guess is they would be around 85 depending on the tire. Duratracks and KO2's tend to be lighter and Toyos, Nitto, and Cooper a little heavier.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
My 2013 has a 94lb 35" km2 on it for over a year. I believe that the trick is to stabilize the tire and stop it from vibrating and moving around. I extended the bumpstops with a cut piece of radiator hose that is about 1/2" longer than needed. It compresses as the lug nuts are tightened and the spare is mounted very rigidly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What does the Vendor discount bring it down to?
You have to contact the vendor. Surf over to the Vendor Section of the Forum and contact the vendors via a PM. Different vendors have different rules so be sure to check those out.

The discounts aren't huge, but you will save a few bucks and support the forum and vendors at the same time.

It's in the owners manual.

ETA: Oops... that's been said already... sorry.
It's ok to rub it in. I deserve it. :tomatoes:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
What does the Vendor discount bring it down to?
Got the TF HD hinge on Black Friday 2016 which made it "affordable" under 390. Feels much more substantial, ez to install and the stock OEM carrier will be fine for 33s or 34s. Check the similar RR for even less. Memorial day specials might pop up. IMG_20161206_195422_edit.jpg

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,233 Posts
You should look at the MORryde carrier system - you can add the pieces you need as you need them. Made in the USA too.

BTW I use the hinges and the reinforcement with the stock tire carrier - I use this to clear my Rock Hard 4x4 bumper and greatly reduce the rattle when closing the gate/dropping off rocks/hitting pot holes.....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts