Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So late last year I piped in a 4x7 transmission cooler in my 05 TJ. As well as a temp gauge right after the torque converter, before the aftermarket and factory coolers.

Yesterday I was out back crawling around in the woods. It warmer out: around 85 degrees and my trans temp spiked over 250. After I was out of the woods it cooled down pretty quick as expected.

From what I understand, ATF starts burning at 210 degrees. But short spikes in temp coming out of the torque converter are fine as long as the overall fluid temp stays cooler.

My question is; how long does my fluid temp coming out of the torque converter have to sit above 210 before I should worry about stopping and cooling it down? I'm turning 35s on stock 3.73 so I know that puts extra strain on the transmission; I just want to be sure i'm not gonna roast it.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
It really doesn't start breaking down until a sustained temp of 220+ .

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
The ATF+4 we use can handle non-sustained 250 degrees without problem, it's the seals you have to worry about at sustained temps like that. Not all ATFs can handle higher temps as well as ATF+4 does. :)

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You don't need to figure out how long to let it run atnwhat temp.... you need to stay out of the woods until you get a MUCH better cooler..... 5.38 gears wouldn't hurt...

Otherwise yeah you ARE gonna smoke the trans if you haven't already.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FIY I wasn't on an extensive wheeling trip. We had some property logged and I was taking a look. Was only in the woods for about 15 minutes. Which is why I was alarmed with how quickly the trans heated up. I definitely notice how higher the temp is on average with the 35s. However I always have OD off so it never really goes past average operating temps(~180) with normal driving. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it while wheeling and make sure it doesn't stick around up there too much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts