Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was wondering what would you think would be better? A atlas transfer case or 4.88 gear ratio. 37 inch tall tires. Which atlas should I get if I get one? Im going into some DEEP water (snorkeling). What are the advantages of atlas?

EDIT: I will drive on the highway but only to the trails so I want to hit at least 70

Thanks,
tom

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Unless your doing alot of rock crawling or comps, no real need for an Atlas t-case.

You need 4.88 gears for your 37's depending on your axles.

Chris

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
I have been in your situation before and I can tell you that the best thing in my opinion would be the atlas. You will still be able to run down the highway as fast as you want...and your stock gearset is stronger than 4.88's so there shouldn't be any breakage. Now, I can suggest a ratio but I need to know what gears you have right now.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
For the type of wheeling he had previously stated, no real need for an Atlas. A used Rubi 241T or even a 231 w/4:1 gear set would be fine and might be cheaper on the wallet, especially since more then likely he already has the 231 in his current jeep.

Chris

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
While we're on this topic...

Putting in an Atlas would give you lower ratio without needing to regear your axles, yes? So if you wanted 37's on your JK, you could make up the difference by running your stock gears and changing the TC... Right??

·
Registered
120 Posts
Only changes the ratio in 4Lo. In 2/4Hi you are still running the stock ratio. An atlas costs more than the R&P swap.
D

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
Hey guys,
I was wondering what would you think would be better? A atlas transfer case or 4.88 gear ratio. 37 inch tall tires. Which atlas should I get if I get one? Im going into some DEEP water (snorkeling). What are the advantages of atlas?

EDIT: I will drive on the highway but only to the trails so I want to hit at least 70

Thanks,
tom
Tom,

did I miss what trans you were running. Also, what axles? In my '06 LJ Rubicon I was running 37s and 4.88s. I wished every day that I had gone with 5.13s (even as a daily driver). After the aFe CAI, Edge Trail Jammer, and custom exhaust was on it performed better but 5.13s would have been the ticket. I ran down the hwy at 70+ consistently on 4.88s.

Now if you have a manual trans you should be ok with 4.88s but an auto will be shifting in/out of OD all the time. If you have the coin, go with the Atlas or the Rubicon 241 if money is tight.

Allen

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I run 5.13's in my jeep and love every second of it with my 5 speed.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
Thats cool, but for me that is way too deep of a gear for the wheeling I do and for how much strength you loose going that low. I run a 5.13 in my crawler, but with a 42" tire and a standard 2 to 1 transfer case. I feel that alot of people go overboard on gears and make them too slow...after all, there are times when you have to have wheel speed

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
The smaller pinion to achieve the 5.13 ratio is why I went with the 4.88s. I am not a hammer jockey and wheel speed for where I wheel is not an issue. I'm just saying, that is what I would do in retrospect. Also, it was a DD and as such, and living in the foothills (2k~5k ft), I needed the lower end for the 37s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts