Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Wrangler JK lifted rockcrawlers and 33s.
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I believe to be a farm jack mount on my hood. I bought the jeep used.

What hardware do I need to attach a farm jack to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,977 Posts
That looks more like a light bar to me.

DISCLOSURE: I hate having my hi-lift on the hood. Actually I pretty much hate my hi-lft. :) I only keep for the rare occasion that it's actually the right tool for the job (which has been once in 5+ years). Also it would be better of secured inside the Jeep away from the elements.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue Baby Sound; said:
That looks more like a light bar to me.

DISCLOSURE: I hate having my hi-lift on the hood. Actually I pretty much hate my hi-lft. :) I only keep for the rare occasion that it's actually the right tool for the job (which has been once in 5+ years). Also it would be better of secured inside the Jeep away from the elements.

Why do you hate your hi-lift??

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Right looks like you want to impress but most already know how foolish it is so opposite of impressed when they see one
Same as the garbage can size exhaust tips on the Japanese sports cars
There to impress but has opposite affect

It is really called a farm jack used for fencing and is a poor and dangerous choice as a vehicle jack

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Digger84; said:
Right looks like you want to impress but most already know how foolish it is so opposite of impressed when they see one
Same as the garbage can size exhaust tips on the Japanese sports cars
There to impress but has opposite affect

It is really called a farm jack used for fencing and is a poor and dangerous choice as a vehicle jack

I’d never use it to jack up my Jeep.

But point taken.

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
A Hi-Lift (farm jack) is like a shotgun.
It could be handy in the right situation to someone that knows how to use it.
In the hands of an inexperienced or casual user, it can be dangerous.

If you're even asking why BBS hates his jack, go to the Hi-Lift website and watch the videos there. Then buy the attachments that make it useful. You can have $500.00 invested in something you might never use or use only rarely.

What the Hi-Lift website doesn't tell you is that a farm jack is unstable. With the height of a farm jack, there's no triangulation to make it stable.
There might be a rare instance that a farm jack could be handy, but for me, I'd try my stock Jeep jack and a 12"X12" piece of 3/4" plywood first.

I think people buy a farm jack when they first get their Wranglers because they see all the other Wranglers with them and they think "That must be something an off-roader uses a lot. I should have one". At last that's what happened with me. If you're dead set on a farm jack, here's an inexpensive way to mount it inside so that it's out of the weather and safe(r) from sticky fingers. It cost me about $8.00 for two large muffler clamps. Pics were taken as I was disassembling the Jeep to paint it when I first bought it 5 years ago.
BBS wheels a lot more than I do. He used his jack once. I've never used mine since I bolted it in the Jeep.
The jack is mounted level now at a height that I can slide my spare tire under it and my recovery gear over it. If I ever take it out, I doubt that I'll put it back.

I have a second farm jack in my shop that I use around my property to pull T-posts. It's a pain to use, but I already own it and am too thrifty to buy a T-post puller.

A cheaper, safer and more usable jack is a bladder that's inflated with the vehicle's exhaust. Search "exhaust jack" on Amazon. Also search exhaust jack (and "farm jack") on UTUBE for how to use each jack.

I'd remove the bracket on your hood hinges and sell it. I wouldn't want the glare on my hood to bother my vision when I needed it the most. Auxiliary lights work best ahead of the grill and below hood level.
The second place to have auxiliary lights is above the windshield (far enough back so that the light doesn't shine on the hood) so that they'll shine farther down the trail. Another handy place for auxiliary lights to shine is just ahead of each wheel (bumper mounted, aiming down) so that a spotter or the driver can see where the tires are about to go.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts