Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G’morning all. Had an attempted theft on my ‘03 TJ last night. Such a nuisance. Would-be thieves busted out driver’s door & ignition cylinder with a screw driver. Good news is I had my battery on a charger while doing repairs, so they couldn’t go anywhere.

Now, I gotta deal with the mess. Would welcome input on parts & replacement. Still need to assess the full extent of the damage. I’ll post more pics later. If anyone has experience with this I’d welcome your input.

I’d like to get it done ASAP. Sad irony is that I have an alarm system on it. I’d like to get it put back together and re-arm it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Matt (aka TavelingLite)

(And if I’ve posted in the wrong location, please let me know the correct channel/thread.)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
If you're anywhere near a metro area there should be a company that can repair that within a day or so. Google "auto theft repair" or similar, along with your location.
Buy a club that attaches to the steering wheel. Install a kill switch somewhere in a hidden spot.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: TravelLite

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm not sure what auto theft repairers could do . Since they've wrecked the part that retains the lock barrel in the steering column, the steering column needs to be replaced.

Davey's Jeep or ebay might be a source for a replacement.

·
Registered
2015 JK Red
3,190 Posts
I'm not sure what auto theft repairers could do . Since they've wrecked the part that retains the lock barrel in the steering column, the steering column needs to be replaced.

Davey's Jeep or ebay might be a source for a replacement.
MOST auto locksmiths can repair this and provide a lock cylinder keyed to your doors.

Reactions: TravelLite

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies Gents. I ended up buying a used steering column on eBay & intend to just swap out the cylinder housing. If necessary I'll swap out the whole column.

Good news is they dropped the old/existing cylinder between the seats. It still connects to the actuator just fine. So, I put the battery back in it & activated the alarm. Now she's back to happily chirping when dog-walkers get too close. May install a kill switch to boot once I get the other stuff done - just as a backup/alternative to the alarm system.

Will likely replace the bunged up door lock. Assume I can have a locksmith swap out the tumblers?

·
Premium Member
9,987 Posts
If the door cylinder cannot be repaired, Crown makes replacements. Lock smith can key to match.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts