Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters I'm from Iowa and am fairly new to wheeling although I have had my JK for a couple of years now. In the sprite of spring break my friend and I are planning on taking my jeep out west to Colorado to do some wheeling probably around the Denver/CO Springs area. I have a couple of questions, First off do I need any sort of permit/pass to run the trails out there? If so how do I go about obtaining one? Secondly do you guys have any recommendations on things to do while we are in the state? Suggestions can be wheeling related or not it doesn't matter.
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
For starters I'm from Iowa and am fairly new to wheeling although I have had my JK for a couple of years now. In the sprite of spring break my friend and I are planning on taking my jeep out west to Colorado to do some wheeling probably around the Denver/CO Springs area. I have a couple of questions, First off do I need any sort of permit/pass to run the trails out there? If so how do I go about obtaining one? Secondly do you guys have any recommendations on things to do while we are in the state? Suggestions can be wheeling related or not it doesn't matter. Thanks guys!
First off we would need to know where your headed within our state to help you with some things to do. And when your coming
There is no permit as of now. Every year there is talk about it but for now as long as your rig is licensed and registered your all good.
And secondly I, unlike Rich, would not recommend Casa Bonita. Lol. Most trails at elevation will still be closed for snow until late June or so depending on our remainder of snowfall. There are some that will be open but the best are up high.
And above all else wherever you go we stay on the trail in Colorado.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Definitely still lots of snow in the high country hopefully winter goes till June I still have snowboarding to do! I saw you asking about rafting in the other threat most places usually start offering trips in May from everywhere I've checked out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely still lots of snow in the high country hopefully winter goes till June I still have snowboarding to do! I saw you asking about rafting in the other threat most places usually start offering trips in May from everywhere I've checked out.
dang!

·
Registered
231 Posts
when did that close? I was out there about 5 years ago and we did that, it was great!
I happened to be checking their site to see when they opened for the year, as I'm only a CO resident during the late spring and summer months, and the site said closed Oct. 2015.

·
Registered
635 Posts
For starters I'm from Iowa
Where from in IA? I moved here from Waukee/West Des Moines 3 1/2 years ago.

There's a lot of fun to be had out here, for sure, but options may be limited over Spring Break. Skiing is still good, and we've got a big storm coming in next week. Mountain-biking opportunities around Boulder, Lyons, Golden. I was out last week and the trails were dry. The weather could change that by the time you're out here.

There are a few, limited areas you can wheel that aren't gated, though depending on snow-fall, you may or may not have issues. Easier trails like Yankee Hill, Slaughterhouse Gulch, etc. If you move further SW of Denver, around Buena Vista, there is a fun trail called Chinaman Gulch that should be relatively snow-free. Moderate in difficulty.

You could also check out the Royal Gorge-area around Canon City, SW of Colorado Springs: Home

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where from in IA? I moved here from Waukee/West Des Moines 3 1/2 years ago. There's a lot of fun to be had out here, for sure, but options may be limited over Spring Break. Skiing is still good, and we've got a big storm coming in next week. Mountain-biking opportunities around Boulder, Lyons, Golden. I was out last week and the trails were dry. The weather could change that by the time you're out here. There are a few, limited areas you can wheel that aren't gated, though depending on snow-fall, you may or may not have issues. Easier trails like Yankee Hill, Slaughterhouse Gulch, etc. If you move further SW of Denver, around Buena Vista, there is a fun trail called Chinaman Gulch that should be relatively snow-free. Moderate in difficulty. You could also check out the Royal Gorge-area around Canon City, SW of Colorado Springs: Home
Will do! I'm from cedar falls Iowa and so far I'm having a lot of fun out here!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts