Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a bass tube. Can anyone tell me what's a good bass tube and how many watts I should get?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Kenwood KSC-SW11

Unless your looking for something crazy. I just installed this in my LJ last week and couldn't be happier. Amazon under $150 everything you need and it fits under your rear seat. It seems to be one of the go to subs for the forum.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I like the Infinity Basslink. It's a powered sub-10 inch, that really sounds good, especially with the hardtop on. It also sounds good with the top off going down the road. I can't imagine anything sounding better for the price-$180 shipped from Amazon.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
251 Posts
Kenwood KSC-SW11 Unless your looking for something crazy. I just installed this in my LJ last week and couldn't be happier. Amazon under $150 everything you need and it fits under your rear seat. It seems to be one of the go to subs for the forum.
I will be installing this tomorrow... Exactly where did you run the power wire through the firewall ..and you answered my other question when you said it fits under rear seat ...

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
is the spec on that kenwood unit accurate? 35hz-125 hz freq res and only 75w?

IMO, that isnt low enough to be called a subwoofer and not enough power to be heard with the top down.

the basslink specs are much better with a 20-120 freq res and 200w.

still vastly prefer a separate sub and amp, but thats a different conversation

·
Registered
251 Posts
is the spec on that kenwood unit accurate? 35hz-125 hz freq res and only 75w? IMO, that isnt low enough to be called a subwoofer and not enough power to be heard with the top down. the basslink specs are much better with a 20-120 freq res and 200w. still vastly prefer a separate sub and amp, but thats a different conversation
I put a new Kenwood HU, and new Kicker speakers all around.... Still sounds like it's missing something... I'm hoping this Kenwood powered sub completes it. By no means am I expecting my windows to shatter... Just a little more bass

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just finished installing a very similar system. Kenwood deck, Kicker speakers and a Bazooka bta8100. It was dismal without the sub. The only problem is the Bazooka takes up more space than the 10" in the boys Jeep

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just finished installing a very similar system. Kenwood deck, Kicker speakers and a Bazooka bta8100. It was dismal without the sub. The only problem is the Bazooka takes up more space than the 10" in the boys Jeep
Yeah.. I was looking at the 12" kicker sub with separate amp , but I need the space in the back..even with the LJ space is scarce With my kids, dogs, and hockey equipment .. That's why I went with the Kenwood amp/sub combo

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
I put a new Kenwood HU, and new Kicker speakers all around.... Still sounds like it's missing something... I'm hoping this Kenwood powered sub completes it. By no means am I expecting my windows to shatter... Just a little more bass
what kicker speakers? many internal speakers have a freq res from 40hz to 25khz. if yours do, you want get much lower bass than you already have as the speakers lowest output is 35hz. almost all subs on the market go down to 20hz, like that basslink does.

bose speaker systems classified their "sub" as a bass modulator, as it only went down to 35hz, and that coined the phrase, no highs, no lows, must be bose

note, I run a 10" kicker comp VR and a 400w mono kicker amp at 2ohm, the amp is rated at 485w from kicker. i dont listen to rap or any newer music really, only good rock, and it isnt anywhere near overpowering.

·
Registered
251 Posts
what kicker speakers? many internal speakers have a freq res from 40hz to 25khz. if yours do, you want get much lower bass than you already have as the speakers lowest output is 35hz. almost all subs on the market go down to 20hz, like that basslink does. bose speaker systems classified their "sub" as a bass modulator, as it only went down to 35hz, and that coined the phrase, no highs, no lows, must be bose note, I run a 10" kicker comp VR and a 400w mono kicker amp at 2ohm, the amp is rated at 485w from kicker. i dont listen to rap or any newer music really, only good rock, and it isnt anywhere near overpowering.
Kenwood KDCBT 562U
Kicker CS54 5.25 front
Kicker 41 KSC 654 6.5 pod
And tomorrow
Kenwood KSC-SW11

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
those 6.5's go down to 43hz, almost as low as the KSC-SW11. the fronts go down to 45hz, which still produces a nice mid level tone. its your jeep and your money, but i would return it and at least go with the basslink if you want the feel and sound of a subwoofer

·
Registered
251 Posts
those 6.5's go down to 43hz, almost as low as the KSC-SW11. the fronts go down to 45hz, which still produces a nice mid level tone. its your jeep and your money, but i would return it and at least go with the basslink if you want the feel and sound of a subwoofer
Thanks for the info!! I know nothing of amps,ohms, and HZ... Lol... I'm pretty much going on what my buddy advises... I will see how it sounds .. If not happy I will return it and go with your suggestion... Thanks again when I bought the Kenwood it was between the sound ordinance , the bass link and the Kenwood ... Kenwood won because I got a really good deal on it ..

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Question... In an LJ... I can see having a bit more room to mount.
Where on Earth where would you mount either powered units in a TJ?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Question... In an LJ... I can see having a bit more room to mount.
Where on Earth where would you mount either powered units in a TJ?
My Kenwood is mounted under the rear seat bolted to the floor

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
Thanks for the info!! I know nothing of amps,ohms, and HZ
the more watts, rms, the more volume you can get. not to say you cant turn a lower watt speaker up and have some added sound, but a higher watt speaker doesnt require as much volume to fill the gap. that isnt saying its louder. people often get volume, higher watt, and louder all blended to mean the same thing.

frequency response is measured in hz, the lower the hz, the lower the tone, the higher the hz and often written as khz, the higher the tone.

ohms are pretty standard at 8 ohms for home speakers and 4 ohms for car speakers while subs can be set up at 0, 1, 2, or 4 ohm. but that doesnt affect the current scenario and gets a bit more advanced.

just knowing the rms is the important number for watts and what the freq res range is can tell you roughly what the speaker is capable of. if you look at the cheaper no name speakers, some of them have freq res ranges of 65hz - 20khz, so right away you'll know that that speaker wont have any bass. some speakers can get into the 25khz range for even higher highs

also, general rule of thumb, the higher the sensitivity, the better it will sound without additional amps (until you get into the higher end stuff). thats where watts and volume control how loud it is or how loud it needs to be.

of course, just because two speakers have the same specs, doesnt mean they will sound exactly the same, but its a good starting point

·
Registered
251 Posts
the more watts, rms, the more volume you can get. not to say you cant turn a lower watt speaker up and have some added sound, but a higher watt speaker doesnt require as much volume to fill the gap. that isnt saying its louder. people often get volume, higher watt, and louder all blended to mean the same thing. frequency response is measured in hz, the lower the hz, the lower the tone, the higher the hz and often written as khz, the higher the tone. ohms are pretty standard at 8 ohms for home speakers and 4 ohms for car speakers while subs can be set up at 0, 1, 2, or 4 ohm. but that doesnt affect the current scenario and gets a bit more advanced. just knowing the rms is the important number for watts and what the freq res range is can tell you roughly what the speaker is capable of. if you look at the cheaper no name speakers, some of them have freq res ranges of 65hz - 20khz, so right away you'll know that that speaker wont have any bass. some speakers can get into the 25khz range for even higher highs also, general rule of thumb, the higher the sensitivity, the better it will sound without additional amps (until you get into the higher end stuff). thats where watts and volume control how loud it is or how loud it needs to be. of course, just because two speakers have the same specs, doesnt mean they will sound exactly the same, but its a good starting point
Again thanks for all the info and schooling .. You def cleared things up a bit.. Also I installed that Kenwood powered amp today and I am impressed with the difference ... The bass link probably would sound better, but for $150 the difference in my system now is night and day..I'm happy with the Kenwood, super easy to install also !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts